While changing my plugs...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
msbmx3

While changing my plugs...

Post by msbmx3 »

when i got to the last plug there was Oil in the hole before i took the plug out. So whats the bad news?
992mmx3

Re: While changing my plugs...

Post by 992mmx3 »

Sounds like a bad valve cover gasket, get it replaced.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
Krist B.

Post by Krist B. »

i recently replaced the gasket, but same problem i found the oil on the last spark plug. :shrug:<p>[ March 25, 2003: Message edited by: Kit996 ]</p>
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Define "last plug",... They have numbers yanno.
If it's #1, you can explore the possibility there was oil spilled in from a sloppy oil fill. But barring dumping a whole quart on the valve cover, the gasket is most likely your culprit. Aside from it getting alot worse, the only real potential problem is if the oil gets up into the spark plug boot. It could start shorting that cylender. Not likely, but very possible. Not a killer problem really, the real question is can you live with it?
As far as the recently replaced gasket leaking, it can happen, they just have to shift a little on assembly and it can start seeping.<p>Something I use alot, albeit very sparingly, is Aviation Form-a-gasket. I beleive it's made by Gunk. Little jar with a swab on the cap. A little goes a long way. I do alot of engine work & a jar of this stuff lasts a couple years, dont need much,... I put a THIN coat on the head surfaces and place the seal on & let it set up first. Then a THIN coat on the top of the gasket, put on the cover. It keeps the seal in place and prevents leaks quite nicely.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

You also need to make sure you are torqueing down the gasket at the proper specs. Otherwise it doesn't matter how many brand new gaskets you install.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”