Have question about auto tranni??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Have question about auto tranni??

Post by neverenuff »

I have a 92 rs SOHC blown tranni. I am planing on replacing myself. Can anyone who has done this befor tell me if I can take out and install tranni without a lift. Can i do it on jack stands? Also how difficult is this to do. All advice on this matter would be great. Thnx in advance.
marshmallow15

Re: Have question about auto tranni??

Post by marshmallow15 »

without a lift? that's funny. have a professional do it.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by marshmallow15:
without a lift? that's funny. have a professional do it.<hr></blockquote><p>Why is that funny? I see people pull out engins all the time without a lift. That most mean that they can pull a trannie out to right. I just wanted some simple instruction on a safe and easy way to do it without a lift. The next time you have somethingto say, make it of meaning or do'nt make it at all. Now if you can help me with this subject cool if not, no need for negativity.<p>L8ta<p>[ March 22, 2003: Message edited by: NEVER ENUFF CUSTOMS ]<p>[ March 22, 2003: Message edited by: NEVER ENUFF CUSTOMS ]</p>
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Can it be done, sure? Anything can be done with enough broken fingers & a 2x4. I'd be willing to bet that renting a cherry picker & pulling the engine & tranny in one pice would be benneficial when you go to put it all back together. Always easier to fit it all together when it's out where you can reach it instead of inside the car. But hey, thats a professional mechanics oppinion, still up to you tho.
Something to think about since you have to swap transmissions anyway, have you looked into swapping in a standard? They can handle increased engine power much better than the automatics can. The autos are great for freeway flying, but the final gearing is just too WAY too high if you want to romp on it.
Good luck.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Freq2002:
Can it be done, sure? Anything can be done with enough broken fingers & a 2x4. I'd be willing to bet that renting a cherry picker & pulling the engine & tranny in one pice would be benneficial when you go to put it all back together. Always easier to fit it all together when it's out where you can reach it instead of inside the car. But hey, thats a professional mechanics oppinion, still up to you tho.
Something to think about since you have to swap transmissions anyway, have you looked into swapping in a standard? They can handle increased engine power much better than the automatics can. The autos are great for freeway flying, but the final gearing is just too WAY too high if you want to romp on it.
Good luck.
<hr></blockquote><p>Hey thanks makes more sense when said like that. But as far as swaping to a maual well that would be a bit more expensive dont ya think.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

the funny thing is you cant pull a tranny out of your engine bay w/o a lift if you plan to pull out the engine attatched to it, if its the tranny alone, you need a tranny lift or dolly to support the transmission, then you disconnect it from the engine, and slide it out while the car is lifted. make more sense to you?
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by marshmallow15:
the funny thing is you cant pull a tranny out of your engine bay w/o a lift if you plan to pull out the engine attatched to it, if its the tranny alone, you need a tranny lift or dolly to support the transmission, then you disconnect it from the engine, and slide it out while the car is lifted. make more sense to you?<hr></blockquote><p>So there is not enough clearence between the car an ground for the trannie to come out of the bottom. The only way to do it with out a lift is with a cherry picker.
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Dont let anyone get you down for asking this. I think what needs to be said here is that if you havent done this before it gets awkward. Pulling a FWD tranny out gets tricky, being that you have to pull axles, brakes, and a lot of other crap out of the way just to get to all the bolts, linkages, and everything else. The tranny itself isnt so heavy that you need anything elaborate to move it around, but at a minimum you will probably need a helper ( a supporting jack helps, but isnt absolutely necessary). My friend did his with a friend, and had no experience whatsoever in doing something like this. It took him about 6 hours to swap trannys. Check out the on-line shop manual and read what needs to be done, then decide if its something you want to tackle. I have done trannys myself without help or jacks and yes you will skin knuckles and cuss a bit, but it can be done even if you havent done one before. Thats my $0.02....
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
atila

Post by atila »

Here's the complete sequence to get the transmission off:
Disconnect the batteries and remove it there 4 10mm bolts that hold the plate under the batterie remove them, remove the airbox, air flow sensor and the tube that goes to the tb. there's two 14mm bolts that hold the starter to the transmission remove them. Remove the cable from the speedometer over the differential of the transmission near the firewall. Remove the 3 17mm bolts that hold the transmission to the engine. Disconnect the neutral switch remove the selector cable. there's also 2 or 3 ground cable 10mm bolts remove them. Jack your car high enouf to pass the transmission under the front of the car, take your front wheel off, remove the axles nuts, remove the two 17mm bolts that hold the ball joint to the table. REmove the axles from the spindle. Take the rigth axle off using a pry bar between the transmission and the axle. Take a piece of cartboard roll it and put it in the hole of the transmission this will prevent the spider gear from falling off. remove your left axles. REmove the 2 14mm that hold the front transmission support to the crossmember and the rear one to. Remove the 4 17mm bolts holding the crossmember to the car. Remove the last bolt from the starter (from under the car) You can leave it there just make shure it doesn't fall on you. Remove the u bolt holding the front pipe. REmove the 3 bolts holding the front pipe to the exhaust manifold. Remove the 4 bolts front and rear that hold the aluminium bellhousing and remove it. Now you should see the flywheel remove the nuts that hold the torque to the flywheel there's 4 of them. PLace a jack under the transmission remove the three bolts of the upper transmission support the one under the batterie. Put a piece of wood between the cranshaft pulley and the frame lower slowly the jack until the pulley his nearly touching the piece of wood. HAVE SOMEONE TO HELP YOU FOR THIS PART: Hold the transmission still on the jack remove the last bellhousing bolts there's should be 2 left one in the rear just under the one from the starter and one in the front. Pull on the transmission to remove it from the engine be carefull the torque may be jam in the cranshaft if it his use 2 pry bar and pry on the stud of the torque at opposite side it should get off. Then lower your jack and take the transmission out without forgetting to unplug the oil cooler hose. It's not an easy job without a lift but you should manage for any more info just pm me. I'm an experience up and down in a transmission shop so i'm use to that kind of job. Personnally i'm glad we have lift at work has i'm 6'5 high so i'm not the type to work on jack stand
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by NEVER ENUFF CUSTOMS:
<p>So there is not enough clearence between the car an ground for the trannie to come out of the bottom. The only way to do it with out a lift is with a cherry picker.<hr></blockquote><p>yea of course you need to lift your car a bit to get the tranny out from underneath, without lifting you'll have to use a cherry picker and im not sure if you can remove the transmission from above with leaving the engine in there. just use some jackstands.
- team slideways
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Tranny alone has to come out from under the car. Jack stands should get the car high enough, just have to be careful about shifting things around too much & dropping it on ur head. A plank going over the engine from the strut mounts and a ratchet strap are plenty to keep the motor steady on the remaining mounts. It's not much fun, but it can be done. Study the proceedures thouroughly first!<p>As far as the manual tranny, it's a pain in the *** to swap one in, but in the end run you have to look at the cost involved in the occasional burnt clutch vs. the costs of crapping an auto trnanny every now & then. Really depends on HOW you are driving the car. If you're not draggin it, the autos are pretty decent. Just never do Neutral drops. Mechanical suicide there,...
A side note, the auto tranny in the V6 MX-3's had a slightly lower final drive ratio. Could be a slight improvement if they mated up to the 4cyl. Dunno about that particular point myself tho,...
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

Hey thanks for all the insight guys and atila thnks for all the info too very imformative. I do have one last question. My brother has a mx-6 that I am thinking about buying off him for $1500. It is a 4clyn dohc It's a 1993 0r 4 can't remember, manual shift. Now to the question, can the enging and tranny be swaped from the mx6 to the mx3 or is there a big differance in the two. If it all matches up instead of buying a auto tranni for my mx3 I'll do a whole swap. My mx-3 is a 92 with the sohc motor, and 130k on it. The mx-6 has the dohc motor with 109k on it. He just put a new cluch in it a few weeks ago. I know that as far as performance it is not a great upgrade but for 1500 is it worth doing or am I just better off dropping a new auto tranni in? Once again thnks for all the help!!
atila

Post by atila »

I'm not shure the mx-6 his a direct fit. But if you have the all car you should be apply to do it. By the way a recondionned trans for a mx-3 his about 1500$ canadian so personnally i would go with the mx-6 swap if you have the entire car
atila

Post by atila »

Oh and the auto from the v6 doesn't fit on the four has the bell housing are different and the starter his on top of the transmission. If you had a v6 i would have recommended a professional shop has it's not easy has a 4 cyl. Personnaly at the shop i prefer v6, take more time to due.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”