New Intake causes car to die...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
azmtbkr81

New Intake causes car to die...

Post by azmtbkr81 »

I just recevied my intake today, its actually for a 2002 protege but it fits perfectly. I got it all hooked up but when I start the car it won't idle, just dies. If I hold down the gas it will run, but roughly. I tried reseting the computer but that didn't work. Could the new intake be flowing too much air for the computer to handle? The only other thing I can think of is there is a pipe that comes out under the throttle body, what I did is hook up a hose to that with a small breather on the end could this be problem since it is no longer hooked up to that resonator box on the stock intake tube? I hope you guys know what to do because this really sucks right now!
'94 Blaze Red RS<P>I may not have a lot of horsepower but I know how to use it!
RanMan

Re: New Intake causes car to die...

Post by RanMan »

I had the EXACT problem when I put an aftermarket performance filter on mine. It would run real good at WOT, but it would not idle at all......it would just die. I kept the filter on for about 15 minutes and decided to just stay with the stock one. I would LOVE to know the answer to this. FYI....I have a 94 RS (4-cyl).
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

wow looks like we got someone with honda, welcome to board, i think ur problem is that u might've removed your vaf sensor, cause i figured that on my own i removed it and it started and died after few seconds and i had to hold throttle for it to work or it would die, so i figured id stick it back on, then check if have any holes in rubber boot thingy, if u have any tape them good with double sided tape,that should fix problem.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

ok you know those two tubes connected to your stock intake tube boot? well one of them connects to your valve cover. don't worry about that one.. but the other one HAS to be connected to the intake tube or else your car will not idle at all. find a way to connect it back on or find a different tube with a flange on it for the connection. also make sure your maf is connected as well.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
cybinpro

Post by cybinpro »

Sounds like you disconnected the air bypass valve. This would definantly effect the car. Basically you have a leak into you manifold. Air is getting in that isn't being measured by the MAF. You might be able to get around it if you unplug it, or at least test it. <p>If you look under the throttle body where the hose gos, you should see a connection. Unplug it. The plug will be facing towards the driver/firewall. <p>
The airbypass helps the car idle. I unpluged mine since I was having idle problems and it's like $200 to fix. The idle stays at 1,000 rpms instead of 800rpms. Small price to pay for your car not dieing on the offramps and redlights.<p>Best bet would be to drill a hole into your intake and replace the hose.<p>This information is based off of a 93 1.6L SOHC.<p>Good luck and I would love to see some pics.
Stop the rave.... I wanna get off!
bigluke

Post by bigluke »

lol mine did someting like that (92 1.6L) i took apart the air filter part and tried to run it withought the filter, it would not idle and died. after i put it all back together it would not turn on! i got pissed walked up to the intake i hit it and the car turned on fine (true story). :) but ya there are a few hoses connecting into that boot thingy just drill some holes and hook them up i guess. ( but dont do it based on me, shat i almost blew up my engine yesterday )
Dont let anyone tell u u cant run subs off of your head unit,(temporarily that is) all u need is a big box :) <p>-Luke
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

Wow! Thanks for all the help dudes. I will get back out there tommorow and figure it out.<p>Marshmellow- Are you talking about the tube that is below the throttle body? I have that breathered but if it needs to be connected to the intake that could be causing the problem... <p>Anyways, I promise I will get some pics posted too just as soon as I can get the thing driving and over to my friend's house who has a digital camera.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

im not exactly sure what it connects to.. but there's two tubes that connect to the intake. the one connected to the valve cover can be breathed out.. the other one CANT.. if this one is being breathed then that's your problem right there.<p>and luke, you can idle your car with no intake filter it'll just be sucking in dust. i dont know what you're talking about.
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

its the line under the throttle body, my friends 323 has that issue
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

When I did mine, I took off everything past the MAF (which is pretty much just the filter and box) and just put a K&N style filter and adapter on. There was one small hose that went into the airbox, but when the car was running, I plugged it up with my hand and the car did not change idle or anything, so I figured it had no effect on the car running.
Timmyd865

Post by Timmyd865 »

Ok guys, no offense, but it's mainly common sense. If the company had hoses hooked up to ur stock intake tube they're there for a reason. The thing underneath the throttle body is the AICV, or air Idle control valve. It lets the car idle smoothly. It needs to know what kind of vacuum is being produced and does its thing from there. Simply drill a good half inch hole maybe, find sum steel tube and stick it in there and weld the baby in. http://www.geocities.com/timsmx3/mx3005.jpg that's the best picture i Have of mine i believe. The thing on the left is to the pvc valve, i just have it there for peace of mind, to make sure the new intake does exactly what the old one did. Next, on the right is the pipe that the hose hooks onto. It just comes out of there, and then i clamped the pre-existing hose (from the AICV) onto that. If you bought a protege intake, doesn't it have any little tubes coming out of it? If it does, use those! If not, just weld new ones in. But you NEED to do this. VERY IMPORTANT!!! When making an intake you need to have everything the company had on there, cause all ur doing is replacing the stock tube to look better and be smoother.
16" Sport Edition Fox 2's, Yokohama H4's, Eclipse CD player, Eclipse components, MTX amp, Lightning Audio woofers in a custom fiber glass enclosure, custom intake, factory spoiler installed, reverse indiglo gauges, custom switch panel<p> :) www.geocities.com/timsmx3
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Timmyd865:
Ok guys, no offense, but it's mainly common sense. If the company had hoses hooked up to ur stock intake tube they're there for a reason. The thing underneath the throttle body is the AICV, or air Idle control valve. It lets the car idle smoothly. It needs to know what kind of vacuum is being produced and does its thing from there. Simply drill a good half inch hole maybe, find sum steel tube and stick it in there and weld the baby in. http://www.geocities.com/timsmx3/mx3005.jpg that's the best picture i Have of mine i believe. The thing on the left is to the pvc valve, i just have it there for peace of mind, to make sure the new intake does exactly what the old one did. Next, on the right is the pipe that the hose hooks onto. It just comes out of there, and then i clamped the pre-existing hose (from the AICV) onto that. If you bought a protege intake, doesn't it have any little tubes coming out of it? If it does, use those! If not, just weld new ones in. But you NEED to do this. VERY IMPORTANT!!! When making an intake you need to have everything the company had on there, cause all ur doing is replacing the stock tube to look better and be smoother.<hr></blockquote><p>THANK YOU...thats exactly what i was trying to say.. but im too lazy to type up a how-to.
- team slideways
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

yeah there is a small tube welded onto the intake it is for the valve cover breater-it is a smaller diameter than the tubing from the AICV pipe, I could hook it up but I am wondering if the smaller diameter will make a noticable difference vs. stock diameter. If worse comes to worse I will just drill a hole and put a rubber grommet in it and then hook up the stock piping but I'd rather not if I don't have to. What do you guys think?
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

do what i did... get a silicone hose that fits that smaller diameter grommet and just connect that hose to the aicv tube. it should fit snugly inside.
- team slideways
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

Okay, I FINALLY got the intake all hooked up and the car running right. I went to Checker and bought a rubber elbow with a lip on the end that is the same diameter as the stock hose, hooked it up using one of the stock connectors to the stock hose, there are 2 little hoses I used the one with out the T intersection. I drilled a hole on the bottom side of the intake and put the end of the elbow with the lip in the hole so that it is airtight. Then I connected the other end of the stock hose to the AICV pipe. Then I hooked up the intake. It works great now, no problems. I was hoping to be able to use protege intake without any modification but I guess drilling a hole and hooking up the extra tube wasn't too much of a hassle considering the entire intake cost me $45 plus $2.99 for the elbow. I will post pics soon, and if any of you guys have questions about how I set it up feel free to ask.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”