engine control system

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jap-spec

engine control system

Post by jap-spec »

I have a 1993 sohc mx-3. The gauge in my cluster that tells me the speed of the car isn't working.
This is driving me crazy because I can't tell if I'm speeding or going to slow. I think it's the "Speed Sensor" because all the other gauge on the cluster work fine. Can you guys help me out so I can fix my miles-per-hour gauge? Do I have to buy a new speed sensor or can it be something else? What colors is the speed sensor wires? Which wire plug on the "ECU" is the is the speed sensor one for the 1993 sohc mx3?
Manach

Re: engine control system

Post by Manach »

Hummm, it is suppose to be a cable that turn that let you know your speed..<p>The needle in a Mx-3 1.6l dohc is moving with data from the ECU.. not the sohc..
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
jap-spec

Post by jap-spec »

I don't have a dohc 1.6L egine. I have a sohc 1.6l engine. My speed sensor isn't cable.
cybinpro

Post by cybinpro »

If you have a 1.6L SOHC with manual tranny your speedometer is cable driven. <p>Look in the engine bay about where the back of the dash would be. You should see a cable (not your throttle cable) follow it to between the back of the engine and the firewall. <p>This is where you fill your tranny BTW, Use a 10mm driver and remove the bolt. <p>Pull up and you should see a plastic gear, if you don't your screwed.<p>If its there turn it while someone is in the interior looking for needle movement. If none you speedometer in the dash cluster might be screwed. <p>info based off of a 1993 1.6L SOHC Manual tranny.
Stop the rave.... I wanna get off!
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Manach:
The needle in a Mx-3 1.6l dohc is moving with data from the ECU.. not the sohc..<hr></blockquote><p>just as a bit of info, the ecu has nothing to do with the speedo readout in the dohc's. it goes directly from the gear to the speedo.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
jap-spec

Post by jap-spec »

Thanks for the replys. Sorry about that the speed sensor is a cable. I couldn't find it before. I took out the cluster today and made sure its plug. I haven't drove it yet because i'm block in my friends house right now. If it doesn't work now, then what do you guess think it is? The next thing i think it could be is the miles-per-hour gauge itself but its werid because all the other gauges work on the cluster. What other reason could it be if it doesn't work?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”