Strange Battery Problem Again!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Andrew_Pakula

Strange Battery Problem Again!

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

About a month and half ago I posted about a weird battery problem where nothing was left on but the battery was found dead in the morning.<P>That time I took the battery to Crappy Tire and they gave it a full charge and it appeared to be working fine again.<P>However almost 2 months later the same problem again. I come to my car to find the battery completely dead. Nothing was left on at all.<P>I noticed yesterday I could hear the alternator straining to charge the battery but I didn't really think much of it at the time because the car still started up fine with out any problems at all but this morning it was just completely dead.<P>I have no idea what is causing this, I know the alternator is fine because it is new(was put in new back in November), if the alt. dies then the battery light goes on right away anways. If the alt. wasn't working then the battery would have died a lot sooner than 2 months.<P>So what else could it be if nothing was left on? Could the Alarm be draining battery power in some weird way for some reason?<P>Or is it more likely this battery is just a DUD?
mx32b

Re: Strange Battery Problem Again!

Post by mx32b »

Replace the battery I guess. Same thing happened to our van. I came home from work and left it in the garage, nothing was on, and in the morning there wasn't enough voltage to start (it wasn't completely dead though). Anyway, we took it to the delarship, they did a full electrical system diagnostic test and said that the battery had simply failed and we replaced it. This was only about a week ago but it's all good since then.
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Last time it happened it was straining to start the car and couldn't at all.<P>This time the battery appeared even way more dead. I couldn't even get it to try and start, I turned on the overhead light to see if juice was coming on and the light was as dim as it could possibily be.<P>I am just going to go to Crappy Tire after I get off work tonight and get it replaced since this is now the second time.
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Update,<P>It looks like the battery is ok.<P>However somthing must be draining it somehow, nothing was ever left on so I don't know what was draining it. It's a bit of a mystery to me, something must be trigering something that is draining the power but so far I can't figure out what....

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”