Better "Go"?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Shades

Better "Go"?

Post by Shades »

I don't know but it maybe in my head... but I filled up with the expensive 94 octane and my car seems to run a lot better... doesn't feel like it lugs around... acceleration is more constant through the rpms.<p>Yeah, I felt rich that day...
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
anjin1982

Re: Better "Go"?

Post by anjin1982 »

From what i read on here higher octane is a waste unless ur car knocks. the higher octane pervents knocking and if your car doesnt knock then stick wit 87(n/a only)...am i right? :shrug:
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
Shades

Post by Shades »

Sorry I'm unfamiliar with the term "knock"... what does that mean?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

i use high octane in mine, more mileage, runs better
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

I'm sorry but I can feel the difference between 92 octane and 87. I don't care if it says 87 is OK and using anything more is a waste. I haven't got to 348,000km running on 87 I can tell you. ;)
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

Well i read online that higher octane is good if ur car knocks, if it doesnt knock with 87 stick wit it ill try 92 next fill up
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

87 if your car doesn't knock...if it does knock, then higher octane.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Adol007fm

Post by Adol007fm »

Thats weird. When I fill with 94 octane my car gives off a weird smell and actually loses acceleration.
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

i think "knock" or engine knock - is when there is a detonation after the spark...
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
T Biller

Post by T Biller »

You probably never hear a "knock" with 87 but do feel more power with 92 because yr engine has a knock sensor that retards the ignition timing to get rid of the knock to save engine damage, but in doing that you loose some power. The "knock" you would hear sound like marbles hiting eachother deep down in the engine while going up hills or other high stress.
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

Being a "bean counter" (auditor) I always look at the financial component to any mileage claim. I have been using 92 (or 94 when available) ever since I purchased the car in 1992. Every year or so I do a test to check my performance and associated costs. Each year the results are the same; using better fuel improves performance and is actually cheaper to use on a cost per mile basis. My MX-3 gets 32 MPG when using 87 fuel. When I use 92 or 94 my gas mileage goes up to 36 MPG. The gas guage in the MX-3 is calibrated so that there are 10 gallons of fuel used between the "F" and the "E". Where I live in Southern California fuel is $1.72 for 87 and $1.90 for 92. That computes to $17.20 for a tank of 86 and $19.00 for a tank of 92. Since I get 320 miles to a tank of 86 and 360 miles to a tank of 92, simple division tells you using cheap gas costs you 5.375 cents for each mile you drive while the good stuff costs you only 5.277. I know it's a small difference but it debunks the prevailing wisdom that using better gas is throwing away cash. I realize the math will work out slightly different depending on your MPG and cost of fuel in your area. Next time you are going on a road trip that requires a few tanks of gas do the test. Use one grade of fuel on the way out and the the other grade on the way back. Crunch the numbers and see for yourself. Then you can decide.
Stan W.
reSa

Post by reSa »

even though gas is really pricey in hawaii (we're up to 2+ for 92 octane)...i always use the best gas. cos i dont really need to do the math. there are some things you shouldn't cheap out on. like garbage bags. or q-tips. and gas is one of those things. :) By the way...what the hell is 94 octane?
chrisboden

Post by chrisboden »

If you really wanna try the ultimate test find a local airport and use 110 Octane. In Michigan some Sunoco stations even sell Racing fuel (100+ octane).<p>Be careful using AvGas (Aviation fuel) since some types are Low Lead (not unleaded, but not the old style regular, it's just a little lead). It isn't much, but it's enough to ruin your cat.
Christopher "Duck" Boden
President/C.E.O.
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup.org
Because the Geek shall inherit the Earth!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”