just got car back from getting the swap done.........

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
David Witherow

just got car back from getting the swap done.........

Post by David Witherow »

im on my way out to go get my mx-3 back from the place that i got to do my swap.........i was talking to the guy and he said it runs amazing......by the way i have the stock 1.6 SOHC motor with standard tranny does anyone need one make me an offer i dont need it and its taking up room now...........
kuruption1983

Re: just got car back from getting the swap done.........

Post by kuruption1983 »

congratulationzzzz bruda,,,,
can you tell us how much it cost you overall, engine, labour and all da stuff that you spent,, if its cheap, i might do it,,,, :D :D <p>( i am way too cheap,, ) :D
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

damn u i'm getting mine done soon to,i can't wait
i hope u like it
u have any problems
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

i LOVE it, it drives amazing, it only cost me 1600 dollars give or take 50..........the only problems i had was i kept buying the wrong drive shafts.........apparently the 98 protege 1.8 DOHC has the same tranny as the v6..........i also had to swap the disty from my motor to the new one and i had to make a mounting plate for the tps...........and some of the connectors had to be swapped from one motor to the other it was more or less just cutting the old plug off and soldering on the new one from the new motor..........and the exhaust pipe from the the new motor used a solid pipe from the exhaust manifold to the intermediate pipe and mine used a flex pipe with a bend in it so we just cut and welded them together just like new........and since i was going from a SOHC to a DOHC the only motor mount that i needed was the transmission mount from the DOHC mx-3.........i think thats it i used the stock wirring harness.......and it works fine.............
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by caveman:
i LOVE it, it drives amazing, it only cost me 1600 dollars give or take 50..........the only problems i had was i kept buying the wrong drive shafts.........apparently the 98 protege 1.8 DOHC has the same tranny as the v6..........i also had to swap the disty from my motor to the new one and i had to make a mounting plate for the tps...........and some of the connectors had to be swapped from one motor to the other it was more or less just cutting the old plug off and soldering on the new one from the new motor..........and the exhaust pipe from the the new motor used a solid pipe from the exhaust manifold to the intermediate pipe and mine used a flex pipe with a bend in it so we just cut and welded them together just like new........and since i was going from a SOHC to a DOHC the only motor mount that i needed was the transmission mount from the DOHC mx-3.........i think thats it i used the stock wirring harness.......and it works fine.............<hr></blockquote><p>damn $1600 is cheap
mines gonna come close to $4500 for everything i'm putting in
$1250 j-spec protege bp
$750 j-spec protege tranny
$1000 labour
and alot or parts
the reason i'm paying so much for labour is i'm getting it done at a high end shop that usally only works on Jaguars and bmw's and stuff <p>are u gonna have a write up on the swap?
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

You swapped from the SOHC to DOHC?? Uhhh....why?
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

cause dohc is better for f/i applications??? thougt that might explain it...
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

umm lets see 1.6 SOHC with 263000kms and 88 hp to a 1.8 DOHC with under 4000kms (yeah i do mean 4000) and ruffly 130 hp........wouldnt you do it if you had the money and the chance......
Manach

Post by Manach »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by caveman:
i LOVE it, it drives amazing, it only cost me 1600 dollars give or take 50..........the only problems i had was i kept buying the wrong drive shafts.........apparently the 98 protege 1.8 DOHC has the same tranny as the v6..........i also had to swap the disty from my motor to the new one and i had to make a mounting plate for the tps...........and some of the connectors had to be swapped from one motor to the other it was more or less just cutting the old plug off and soldering on the new one from the new motor..........and the exhaust pipe from the the new motor used a solid pipe from the exhaust manifold to the intermediate pipe and mine used a flex pipe with a bend in it so we just cut and welded them together just like new........and since i was going from a SOHC to a DOHC the only motor mount that i needed was the transmission mount from the DOHC mx-3.........i think thats it i used the stock wirring harness.......and it works fine.............<hr></blockquote><p>98 motors.. Gotta be lucky, that was the last yaer the protege receive the Bp engine ;) <p>and yes, the v6 tranny is similar to the Bp engine.. But they are not perfect fit..
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

well they use the same drive axles.......
cybinpro

Post by cybinpro »

Hey could someone give me some information on this swap?<p>
What's the engine code and model years the engine came with.<p>Did you use the 1.6L SOHC engine harness or the pros?<p>Which computer are you using?<p>Motor mount, TPS Plate what else needed to be changed or modded?<p>Anyone know if there is aftermarket support for the swapped engine? I.e headers, cam, cam gears, chip, intake, turbo kit?<p>Thanks
Stop the rave.... I wanna get off!
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

ok, here's my take on how i believe it works. The motor mounts are the same, however, you have to change ECUs and harnesses. as far as aftermarket support goes, just look under 90-94 protege at www.corksport.com Ashley will know way more than me on this subject though.
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paragon:
ok, here's my take on how i believe it works. The motor mounts are the same, however, you have to change ECUs and harnesses. as far as aftermarket support goes, just look under 90-94 protege at www.corksport.com Ashley will know way more than me on this subject though.<hr></blockquote>
u don't have to change the harnesses
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

ok if your gonna use the stock wirring harness from the sohc its pretty much the same.....there are a few connectors that have to be wired in nothing major.....and you have to use the sohc injectors cause the resistance is different.....i dont know if someone could tell me if the 90 - 94 protege ecu with make any difference.....
mx3chom

Post by mx3chom »

roughly 130hp in a DOHC? UH.... try 105<p> http://www.mx-3.com/brochure/specifications.cfm<p>Dominic
RIP 95 rs

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”