Transmission (Gearbox) types!?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ravve

Transmission (Gearbox) types!?

Post by ravve »

Hey guys, please i need someone to help me with a question; I´m about to change my broken transmission (gearbox) and replace it with a new one from the junkyard. I am wondering if a transmission from a Mazda 323 would fit in my MX3 -93 16V SOHC? Must i have a transmission from the exakt same car as mine, or can i use for example a transmission from a MX3 DOHC on my MX3 SOHC? Oh and I don´t think I can use a transmission from a MX3 V6, or can I?<p>Please help me so I don´t go to the junkyard and buy a transmission that wouldn´t fit in my car.<p>Thanks!
marshmallow15

Re: Transmission (Gearbox) types!?

Post by marshmallow15 »

i have a sohc 323 tranny in my car. i gotta say i like the mx3 tranny a lot better...although the 323 has shorter gearing in the low-end for acceleration this thing sucks for highway driving...plus i can already feel this tranny starting to slip.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
ravve

Re: Transmission (Gearbox) types!?

Post by ravve »

OK! What model (years) on a 323 can i take a tranny from? can I take it from any model, can I take a tranny from a 323 DOHC and use it with my 16V SOHC? If i find a tranny from a Civic, you think I could use it? It´s hard and expensive to find trannys for the MX3 16V here in Sweden, so I´m looking for cheaper variants, such as ones from a 323 or Civic, please help me if you know if i could do that!
thanx!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”