Can a stock rs 1992 alternator hanmdle 2 batteries??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Wagner359

Can a stock rs 1992 alternator hanmdle 2 batteries??

Post by Wagner359 »

i need mroe power for my system i was thinkikn about runnin 1 battery to my car and 1 in the hatch to my amp can my alternator handle it?
R I P ****
92 MX-3 RS H&R springs K&N filter Protege cold air intake premier mp3 HU Kicker RS6 component speakers kicker eclipse pa5422 4 ch. on speakers. profile amp on JL 15w3 3 ft box ported tuned to 28 hz. rota c8s black with a polished chrome lip and a fresh new black paint job.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Re: Can a stock rs 1992 alternator hanmdle 2 batteries??

Post by cjthor »

Nope. You are going to have to get a different amperage alternator. I dont think even the GS alternator will handle two batteries at the same time. Might have to go to your local auto supply store and see if they can send your old alternator out. They usually have an alternator supplier that can throw higher amperage guts in yours. Or if you really want to get tricky you could look thru their alternator book and see if you can find a better one that could be swapped from another make. Good luck.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

Another option is a battery isolator which is cheaper than getting the alt rebuilt. All cars or trucks (mainly trucks) that come stock with 2 batteries are designed with isolators. You can get these from any car audio shop.
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

i have a question about the alternator. the alt. from the gs to rs the yr gs dont matter right?
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

The isolator will not keep you from needing a bigger alt, it will however keep the power from trying to equal out between the batterys, like one trying to charge the other and such. Thus it isolates each battery from the other in a means.
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

the isolator will charge the two batteries as it serves as a regulator for charging them and a diode for flowback...common and easy fix for your problem. an easy way to find one cheap is in an old motor home or utility van. whatever you do dont let anyone tell you that they can do it with solenoids. --big big mistake. causes fires and charges batteries to quickly to the point where some explode. <BR>i used to install hydraulic suspensions on cars and i would use relays and isolators to charge all 4 batteries. now they make the street chargers so you can just buy them now.. if you need some help just hit me up on hboy7777 on AIM.. ;)
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”