1992 MX-3 SOHC I4 motor Burning / Leaking oil

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
fredsanford

1992 MX-3 SOHC I4 motor Burning / Leaking oil

Post by fredsanford »

If I just start it and drive, I noticed it doesn't burn a whole lot of oil, I've watched it drive off before, Yet after it sits idling for any ammount of time, It smokes pretty badly.<BR>And it's blue, Which is obviously oil!<P> Here's the story, I want to save the car, But I don't have alot of money. I've tried some additives, They help for awhile..<P> <BR> It's got 207,000 MILES on it :D <P>I also noticed a new tick today, Which I guess is sort of normal for the V-6, But not the one I have? Mine suffers from rough idle, Not the ticking?<P><BR> I can get a used motor pretty cheap, I would think while I am paying some fool to swap the motor, I may as well have them rebuild it, Right?<P><BR> I am thinking I could get the used motor for $500... Shouldn't I be able to have the motor I've got overhauled?<P> <BR> I am a "Fix it right while you're in there" type of guy, But is there any way to replace the rings (This causes the burning oil right?) without removing the WHOLE THING?<P><BR> Also, I've got one HELL of an oil leak, Not from the valve cover or the oil pan.... <P> Maybe it needs to come out, In light of that?????<P><BR> I need some advice here, Folks, I'd like to spend around $1000 and have this one taken out, rebuilt, and put back in.<P> While it's out, Can I put have them put some "Heavy duty" and better quality parts in it durning the rebuild?<BR>( I want more speed, Without making the motor work harder, Or endangering the tranny... If the motor was more powerful, It would last LONGER, Right? )<P>Also, Can someone help me remember the difference between "Rebuild" and "Overhaul"???<P>I'd GREATLY appreciate if you'd all give your oppinions on EACH question, So wait till you have the time to pay attention to it... I really NEED the advice<BR>I'll probably pay whoever helps me the most too, Because I bet you'll save me dough.. <P><BR> THANKS! THANKS! THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!
maldo

Re: 1992 MX-3 SOHC I4 motor Burning / Leaking oil

Post by maldo »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I also noticed a new tick today, Which I guess is sort of normal for the V-6, But not the one I have? Mine suffers from rough idle, Not the ticking? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>All Mazda motors can suffer from the "ticking", not just the V6.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I can get a used motor pretty cheap, I would think while I am paying some fool to swap the motor, I may as well have them rebuild it, Right?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Yes and No, depends on the mileage.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I am thinking I could get the used motor for $500... Shouldn't I be able to have the motor I've got overhauled?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>You could get a used SOHC motor for around $150USD, try <A HREF="http://www.corksport.com" TARGET=_blank>Corksport</A>. I'd sell you mine but I should keep it as a spare.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Also, I've got one HELL of an oil leak, Not from the valve cover or the oil pan.... <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Need more details to help you on that, possibly rear main seal?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I need some advice here, Folks, I'd like to spend around $1000 and have this one taken out, rebuilt, and put back in. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>For $1000, why don't you look at upgrading to the B6T? More power, turbo, etc. Check the 4cyl Faqs for my write up.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> ( I want more speed, Without making the motor work harder, Or endangering the tranny... If the motor was more powerful, It would last LONGER, Right? )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Wrong, the more power= the more problems. Although a reasonable amount never hurt anything.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

degrease the motor & see where the oilleak is<BR>i had a leaking valve cover gasket......<BR>& i had to degrease the side of my engine first to find it<P>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
fredsanford

Post by fredsanford »

I am scared to death to attempt a V-6 swap on my current budget<P> We NEED this car <P>And once I tried to put a Chevy 350 into an 82 deville and it never would run right<P><BR>It's a great idea... Tempting... Tired of shitty performance.<P> I bet the v-6 would last longer.<BR>Aside from the ECU and the Harness, What would we need? Would it be certain to bolt to my tranny? Remember I have an auto...<P>Will the V-6 fit right in?<BR>I know I'll need all new belts, Hoses, Pumps, And such<P> <BR> Doesn't it all run into big money?<BR>Can the auto handle it??<P><BR>$150 for a used motor! Damn that's a good deal!<BR>How much would it cost to have a motor rebuilt?<P>And what IS the difference in rebuilt and overhauled??<P>I want heavy duty rings, Seals, And everything else imaginable..
fredsanford

Post by fredsanford »

Monty, I suppose it could be leaking from the back of the valve cover... <P><BR>I HOPE IT AINT THE REAR SEAL :eek:
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

you could be.........mine smoked like a champion when i had a leak in mine......<BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
maldo

Post by maldo »

Since you have the 4 cylinder, stay with it. <P>Check the 4 cyl faqs for swap info.
??????

Post by ?????? »

:-( mine is leaking from the rear seal tomarrow i get the task of taking out my engine well get the chance to put a new clutch in now to thats something good from it well to help if it is leaking from there ther will be no oil on the top of the engine mine is all over the oil pan and trans and even reached my cat
fredsanford

Post by fredsanford »

I have oil all the way to the back under there<BR>Up in the fender wells<P> You name it<BR> :D

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”