jet computer chip, coil amplifier spark plugs and wires

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3chom

jet computer chip, coil amplifier spark plugs and wires

Post by mx3chom »

hey guys i need some help. does the jet computer chip do any good? and the nology coil amplifier <A HREF="http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml? ... 04&BQ=jcw2" TARGET=_blank> coil amplifer</A> what does it do. i can get both of those for cheap. and spark plugs and wires. is it worth it.<P>oh yeah and a 2.25 straight pipe with hurricane header and performance muffler.<P>i already have an intake.<P>thanks,<BR>dominic
RIP 95 rs
Freq2002

Re: jet computer chip, coil amplifier spark plugs and wires

Post by Freq2002 »

The Nology unit is a simple capacator. It's dressed up, but it's still a cap. All it does is store energy for the coil to feed off of, & generaly will only be needed at HIGH RPM. It cant boost anything because it wont increase the actual voltage/amperage going into your coil.<BR>My opinion, this thing is about as useful as getting a tornado fan for ur intake. Save ur pennies & get full ignition upgrade. Check out Jacobs electronis, I haven't looked to see if they make anything for the MX-3, but you might get them to custom build a unit. Cant hurt to call. :)<P>Wires: Wires can NOT boost your horse power, it's a myth, an urban legend. Getting a lower resistance wire can boost your spark, but all that does is improve the burn. Unless your plugs & wires are shot, you prolly wont notice the difference except in mileage. Still a good idea to have a quality set of wires. But just a note, there is no difference in the conductance of 7, 8, & 10 mm wire with similar conductors. All that number tells you is how much rubber insulation is around the actual wire. A new set of Bosch 7mm's will work just as well as thse no-name "10mm race wires".<P>Have fun, & keep it rubber side down. :D<p>[ July 29, 2002: Message edited by: Freq2002 ]
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
aznwithamx3

Post by aznwithamx3 »

2.25 straight pipe is pretty big
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

someone said something about all that good wires do is improve the burn...wouldn't that increase HP because of teh better burn? if not HP, then throttle respose at least? just an idea [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

An engine can only put out so much power according to it's dimensions and the means of induction. The only way to increase HP is to change the physical charachteristics of the engine. Unfortunately, the plugs dont change much.<BR>A hotter spark may give you a better burn, but it does nothing for power, just mileage & maybe pick-up. Most modern stock spark sytems are pretty hot to begin with, so aside from switching to a multiple spark system, (MSD) there's no appreciable gain. Even then, NO boost in HP.<BR>A good set of EF sheilded low resitance wires (I use Bosch, but thats MY preference), a quality set of plugs, & keeping your distributor cap & rotor clean inside will keep it running hard for years.<P>Just a note for those that run the Platinum plugs: While these are excelent plugs, they're designed for obtaining maximum use between changes, not hi-po engines. They do not perform any better than standard plugs, but do last longer. In some cases, they have actualy caused a loss in fuel efficiency. A new set of NGK's or Bosch Supers will work great, leave the platinums for grandmas car.<BR>And fer gawds sake, dont buy into the Split-Fire scam. It's in the same catagory as Tornado inlet fans. Looks neat, doesn't do s---. ;)
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

So your telling me altering the efficency of the ignition system has no direct effect on the creation of horsepower?<P>Try this.. take your spark plugs.. gap them to say... almost touching and run around with em like that and see how much of a diffrence you feel.. then get back to me.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by torpedan:<BR><STRONG>So your telling me altering the efficency of the ignition system has no direct effect on the creation of horsepower?<P>Try this.. take your spark plugs.. gap them to say... almost touching and run around with em like that and see how much of a diffrence you feel.. then get back to me.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Freq is right. Spark plugs dont make any power. Waste of money. Keep them new and in good shape and youre good to go.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by torpedan:<BR><STRONG>So your telling me altering the efficency of the ignition system has no direct effect on the creation of horsepower?<P>Try this.. take your spark plugs.. gap them to say... almost touching and run around with em like that and see how much of a diffrence you feel.. then get back to me.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Look at this whole statement & think real hard. I'm not trying to call anyone an idiot here, but the statement is just palin silly s---.<BR>OF COURSE it will impact horsepower if you DECREASE the efficiency of the plugs. It will have a NEGATIVE impact. DUH!! :D<BR>If you just gotta have a hotter system, fine. My recomendation is an MSD system. At least they actualy work, and can be tailored to any systems needs.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”