My car goes Clunk Clunk

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
drummer0821

My car goes Clunk Clunk

Post by drummer0821 »

Ok i got a problem. I have no idea what it is. Im going to take it to a mechanic for his opinion, but i want to get some of your opinions first.<P>When i depress the brake... only at a very certain, specific spot on the pedal... i hear a clunk, clunk, clunk...with the spinning wheels (ie: as i slow down it slows down, etc) Also, When i depress the brakes at all and move the steering wheel, it clunks... Any ideas?
- 93 Mx-3 Rs Auto -<BR>Kenwood Head Unit<BR>Kenwood 600 RMS 2channel amp<BR>2x 12inch Punch XLC subs<BR>Custom made sealed box
maldo

Re: My car goes Clunk Clunk

Post by maldo »

Sounds like a loose tie rod end.
MazdaGirl

Post by MazdaGirl »

That's what it sounds like to me too. I have a similar problem (very minor) but had a mechanic tell me I need to replace the tie rod
drummer0821

Post by drummer0821 »

Ok thanks!<P>And i got under my car today and looked in the front left wheelwell (which is where the clunk seems to come from) and i found a rubber boot thing that was leaking lots of grease on the bottom of it.. ill post a pic of it when possible.. maybe thats what it is?? It looks like the Bar that moves the wheel left and right.. but im not sure..
- 93 Mx-3 Rs Auto -<BR>Kenwood Head Unit<BR>Kenwood 600 RMS 2channel amp<BR>2x 12inch Punch XLC subs<BR>Custom made sealed box
Palofpits

Post by Palofpits »

sounds to me like a loose brake pad.there are several (anti rattle)clips on the front calipers if one of these is missing the pad can shift up+down.do you have any pulsation with the pedal?if u do, then does it coincide with the rattle?
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

Its probably your CV joints, which are the metal drive shafts that connect your transmission to your wheels. Once the boot is broken (which is why grease is leaking out) dirt gets inside of the joints and they start to make a clunking noise. This happened to me about a year ago and unfortunately it costs about $500 to fix. :confused:
'94 Blaze Red RS<P>I may not have a lot of horsepower but I know how to use it!
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by azmtbkr81:<BR><STRONG>Its probably your CV joints, which are the metal drive shafts that connect your transmission to your wheels. Once the boot is broken (which is why grease is leaking out) dirt gets inside of the joints and they start to make a clunking noise. This happened to me about a year ago and unfortunately it costs about $500 to fix. :confused:</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>if you can do it yourself, its a 100 dollar fix.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

I looked into doing it on my own but after checking out the online shop manual I realized that it is a pretty involved project requiring a lot of time, tools, and knowhow. For me, ripping apart CV axles with a hammer and ratchet set in the dorm parking lot didn't seem like such a good idea. I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone who doesn't know what they are doing or doesn't have a good garage with plenty of tools. CV axles aren't somthing you want to risk screwing up. BTW, PROTOGESTS, how do you quote someone else's reply like you did?
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by azmtbkr81:<BR><STRONG>I looked into doing it on my own but after checking out the online shop manual I realized that it is a pretty involved project requiring a lot of time, tools, and knowhow. For me, ripping apart CV axles with a hammer and ratchet set in the dorm parking lot didn't seem like such a good idea. I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone who doesn't know what they are doing or doesn't have a good garage with plenty of tools. CV axles aren't somthing you want to risk screwing up. BTW, PROTOGESTS, how do you quote someone else's reply like you did?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>click the little quotes icon above their post.<P>Oh, and David and myself did EXACTLY what you just said. Parking lot of a college, with hand tools, late at night. Oh, and it was 17 degrees outside in FLORIDA!!!!<P>yeah, its a pain, but you can do it.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
drummer0821

Post by drummer0821 »

but the boot that is broken is not the one on the cv joint... the cv joint boot is more near the wheel.... right? this looks like the boot that is on the metal rod that steers the wheel. <P>Where can i find pricing on some of these parts? like the tie rod, or the brake clips, or the cv joints..?? If i want to "do it myself" (with a lot of help from good ole stepdad)
azmtbkr81

Post by azmtbkr81 »

You are right that the CV joint is closer to the wheel, the tie rod has a boot also but what makes me think that it is the CV joint is the fact that the clunk/click noises speed up and slow down as you accelerate and brake, if it was the tie rod the speed should not matter. Are either of the CV joint boots ripped or leaking? Maybe you have a combination of problems.<P>ProtogeSTS-Thats crazy dude-you are pretty hard core! Do you think if I gave you a Swiss Army knife and a pack of gum you could install a BPT in my car? :D :D
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by azmtbkr81:<BR><STRONG>You are right that the CV joint is closer to the wheel, the tie rod has a boot also but what makes me think that it is the CV joint is the fact that the clunk/click noises speed up and slow down as you accelerate and brake, if it was the tie rod the speed should not matter. Are either of the CV joint boots ripped or leaking? Maybe you have a combination of problems.<P>ProtogeSTS-Thats crazy dude-you are pretty hard core! Do you think if I gave you a Swiss Army knife and a pack of gum you could install a BPT in my car? :D :D</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I charge 100 dollars an hour, but sure, ill give it a try :D
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”