What to do

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jeff

What to do

Post by jeff »

Well I have my B6T and I was searching the form and the net for information on the engine/install. One thing that I kept on coming across would be people using the head that is currently on the 1.6 DOHC instead of the head that comes with the B6T.. what are the advantages of doing this, or for that matter what are the disadvantages??
maldo

Re: What to do

Post by maldo »

The MX-3 head is supposed to flow more, another benefit is the installation of a hood scoop is no longer needed with that head. The B6T intake is a better design but the throttle body is smaller.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Thanks for the info Maldo, yeah I knew that the throttle body is smaller, but I was thinking that the benifits weigh out the disadvantages.. and plus I could save myself a good piece of cash if I don't have to get the head.. and I really didn't want to cut a hole in my hood either. So I think that I'm going to go with the Block and everything else, Minus the head .. But I have one more question. I was planning on running about 12psi.. putting this head on isn't going to cause me any trouble running that much boost is it?<p>[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: jeff ]
maldo

Post by maldo »

The head isn't going to affect the motors ability to hold boost. Which motor do you have now? If you are buying a another head, may as well buy a '93 miata motor, you get the benefit of the beefier crank and slightly higher CR. IF you go with the auto version (9.0:1) or stick is slightly higher (9.4:1) which is what I'm running. Slightly higher cost but I am sure you could find a buyer for the head. check car-parts.com for spare MX-3 heads if you have the SOHC motor stock.
jeff

Post by jeff »

I have the 1.6 DOHC so I should be alright with just using the one that is currently on my motor.. I have been thinking about this since I bought the B6T block and everything else.. the only thing that I was just about to buy was the head from another person... But I think that I'll just stick to what I have no and go from there.. with that anyone looking for a b6t head???

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”