Automatics... The plauge of man

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Sonicxtacy02

Re: Automatics... The plauge of man

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

underive pulley relieve the strain the electrical system puts on your engine. NA applications usually range from 5-10hp, though i dont know anyone who's tried it on a 4 banger<p>[ August 05, 2002: Message edited by: Sonicxtacy02 ]
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

By less power I meany that the alt would put out less power as in amps.
ted_the_mexican

Post by ted_the_mexican »

everyone says bigger piping is bad but if you open up the exhaust it gets the exhaust gasses out quicker. Put and intake on and open up the in side of the equation. You wont lose torque with an exhaust swap. Most likely you will gain due to the increase horsepower gained by less restriction. For low end I would suggest the exhaust intake combo and along with that replace the plugs and wires clean out your TB and make sure everything flows well. If nothing great comes from this combo then i would invest in a chip for your computer. This will correct your torque curve giving you low end power and also you horsepower curve for high end. <BR>A new set of wheels and tires and a body kit can also help not only the appearance but also a weight loss for a quicker jump. Remember that any loss of weight will help in the long run whether or not its noticeable right away. So lose the spare tire and any unneeded junk.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ted_the_mexican:<BR><STRONG>everyone says bigger piping is bad but if you open up the exhaust it gets the exhaust gasses out quicker. Put and intake on and open up the in side of the equation. You wont lose torque with an exhaust swap. Most likely you will gain due to the increase horsepower gained by less restriction. For low end I would suggest the exhaust intake combo and along with that replace the plugs and wires clean out your TB and make sure everything flows well. If nothing great comes from this combo then i would invest in a chip for your computer. This will correct your torque curve giving you low end power and also you horsepower curve for high end. <BR>A new set of wheels and tires and a body kit can also help not only the appearance but also a weight loss for a quicker jump. Remember that any loss of weight will help in the long run whether or not its noticeable right away. So lose the spare tire and any unneeded junk.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>First of all welcome to the list. Now that thats out the way, you DO lose torque should you choose an aftermarket system thats piping is too large. We've had this discussion on this board so many times. If your piping is too big (which most aftermarkets setups tend to be for the 1.6l engine) you lose velocity. When the velocity of exhaust slows your torque at low rpm suffers. The 1.6l automatic NEEDS smaller piping to even attempt to have torque at low rpm.<P>Anyways, Items like "plugs and wires, cleaning your TB {wtf} dont increase horsepower. If anything they help you recover horsepower. If you're gonna mention those items why not mention oil change, pcv valve swap, etc etc etc.<P>Lastly, noone has seen any substantial gains with aftermarket chips with the mx-3. Chips work well with forced induction applications, but frankily they're isnt really much untapped potential from the 1.6 without FI.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
drummer0821

Post by drummer0821 »

Thanks alot folks... Ive got my plan all laid out... Im sticking with stock piping, just gonna get the little back section with the muffler added, no biggie.. and gonna get me a sport intake... and eventually drop a manual tranny in it because the auto sucks arse... anyone have any insight or know how or specs or stories about changing from auto to manual for our car... and what i need and how much etc?? Thanks alot<P>- G
- 93 Mx-3 Rs Auto -<BR>Kenwood Head Unit<BR>Kenwood 600 RMS 2channel amp<BR>2x 12inch Punch XLC subs<BR>Custom made sealed box
sexybella

Post by sexybella »

My car is fast and I drive an automatic.
drummer0821

Post by drummer0821 »

SEXYBELLA -<P>dont lie.. lol
- 93 Mx-3 Rs Auto -<BR>Kenwood Head Unit<BR>Kenwood 600 RMS 2channel amp<BR>2x 12inch Punch XLC subs<BR>Custom made sealed box
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

There's a difference between fast & quick,...<BR>My car is fast, usualy pullin past the dressed up Honduhs on hills at 80+. This car is an awesome hi-way flier.<BR>But quick,... Well, I beat a couple Chevys, but it was pretty close till they had to shift right about the point my power curve kicked in. :D
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
Timmyd865

Post by Timmyd865 »

I can't help but notice that ur screen name is Drummer whatever! YAY FOR DRUMMERS!! If you like music.. lighter stuff kinda emo-hardcore... check out my band. <A HREF="http://www.aprocessofbecoming.com" TARGET=_blank>www.aprocessofbecoming.com</A> I'm a drummer!! Hurray for drummers! :)
16" Sport Edition Fox 2's, Yokohama H4's, Eclipse CD player, Eclipse components, MTX amp, Lightning Audio woofers in a custom fiber glass enclosure, custom intake, factory spoiler installed, reverse indiglo gauges, custom switch panel<p> :) www.geocities.com/timsmx3
drummer0821

Post by drummer0821 »

Yeah i'm a drummer =o) 0821 is my birthday.. August 21st... Cool ill chek out yur band =o)
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

oh, drummer here too :) <P>Premier drums, soon to get electronic for the apartment :)<P>(sorry this is off topic..but...)
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
TedLeeper

Post by TedLeeper »

for those of you looking for an upgrade on automatic transmition mx-3s I suggest selling it and geting one with a standard trany
Hmm. what to do now..
....maybe a VTEC for lunch.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”