Anyone have some ideas about heads

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
johnny2300

Anyone have some ideas about heads

Post by johnny2300 »

I was just wondering if you any mazda guru here can help me out?? I have a 1993 MX3 RS<BR>1.6L in recent months the car has been giving me some real problems and in result of this buying another. My problem is I'm going through a full tank of gas and getting only 250kms out of it so I took the car into the mechanics and they did a compression test on the engine they said cylinder 1 is getting 75 psi and 2,3 and 4 syl are dead so<BR>they went and tested the rings and everything there is ok so they recommended a new head but I find this hard to believe this because I am not losing any coolant and the oil in the engine is not showing sort of contaimination of any sort so I just wanted to run this buy you to see what all you guys would think or is there anything else I may try before I take the head off myself to see what is happening there ??<P>thank's <P>Johnny
johnny2300

Re: Anyone have some ideas about heads

Post by johnny2300 »

Sorry guys one last thing here if the head is gone the car and needs to be replaced what other head for this engine will do ???<P>note its 1.6L sohc 16 valve engine??<P>thanks
maldo

Post by maldo »

If they did a compression check and found those numbers, it is obviously one of two things, bad rings or blown pistons. Without taking the head off, there is no way to check if the rings are bad. You will have to replace the head gasket to do this but you may as well. I doubt it is the head. Just so you have a few options, I have a set of Mazda rings for the sohc motor, brand new not even opened - $200cdn. If your pistons are shot, I have all 4 out of my sohc - make an offer. Cylinder head could be yours too - make an offer. If it suits you, I would be willing to sell the entire engine, needs head gasket. I doubt it will come to any of this but you will need a rebuild.
johnny2300

Post by johnny2300 »

Hey there Maldo<P>thanks for the reply I'm heading over to my father in-laws where the car is parked and I'm going to start labeling all the connections and drain the cooling systen and that today and it should be torn down by the weekend I certainly will get back to you if those things are needed and I will arrange for transport if needed.<P>thanks Johnny
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Dont forget when was the last time the timing belt was done pending the amount of miles/kilos on it the belt could have streched just a tinsy bit and drastically effect the motors performance.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”