want a new engine!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jinu_chang

want a new engine!

Post by jinu_chang »

I want to switch my 1.6 dohc to a v6 engine but money is getting a little tight lately. Does anyone know on average how much this would cost me? I found a place that is selling the engine for about $900 cdn. So I would like to know on average the cost of swapping the engine. Not technically inclined enough to do the work myself. :D
maldo

Re: want a new engine!

Post by maldo »

Sell your 4cyl and start with the v6, it will cost you less. A better option is to upgrade to the B6T or BPT motors, very easy to make 250whp with either motor and they bolt in.
jinu_chang

Post by jinu_chang »

u mean the b6 for the mazda miata? Will that fit? What do you think the estimate cost of that is and how much do you think I can sell my 1.6? I just had it rebuilt last summer. But there is no horse power thats why I want to upgrade.
maldo

Post by maldo »

The B6T is from the 323 GT/GTX, it was only available from '87-89. It was turboed from the factory, rated at 132hp but I am on the verge of 200whp with mine. If you want info on the swap, go to my site in my signature. Total cost depends on your goals but expect to pay $2000 plus depending on what you are buying. The motor can be had for $500 and up. Do a search for the B6T, lots of info on this site and the egroup. The BPT is another choice, a little pricier of a swap but the base line is higher, 180-210hp. Both motors are very capable. Do a search for both. The B6T is a variant of the B6ZE found in the miata but the head is completely different. You could do a search on the 323GTX egroup and see if anyone has one for sale. It bolts right up. You could use the miata block and the 323 head for a slight bump in CR.
jinu_chang

Post by jinu_chang »

Thanks much apprciated.. where did you get your hood scoop! Been looking for the fx design scoop everywhere! Are you going to be at the mx-3 meet tomorrow? I think I might make a appearance
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

hey bro klze (200 hp) 4300 complete installed with mx-6 brakes and suspension at <A HREF="http://www.a-spec.ca" TARGET=_blank>www.a-spec.ca</A> or kl-03 (170) for 3800 installed with mx-6 hardware it would be better then the b6t in my opion just because of the torque that the motor's create stock....b6t's are hard to come by and bpt's are real expensive........I see your from London to...
Steve
jinu_chang

Post by jinu_chang »

hey thanks .. are you from london too? I want more HP in my car so I want to swap my engine. Won't be doing it until next summer but what would you do? Which has more power? So your from London too? Go to meets section on the site. I have a post there for maybe trying to setup a london meet.
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

I have tryed to find b6t's and they are hard to find and even harder to find one in good tune(so I've heard)...the kl -03 has 170 hp and has alot of room for more hp's casue you can turbo or supercharge them....3800 is intalled with mx-6 hardware so it seems like a good deal, I've saw bpt's going for 2500 for just engine...and yes I am from london....check out williams pub (the parking lot beside it) on richmond that's where the imports hang out now in london. Try cruising by saturday night's that's when they are usually there.
Steve
maldo

Post by maldo »

I keep hearing about how hard it is to find a B6T but it seems that no one has taken my advice. Go to the 323gtx egroup on yahoo, there is at least 3 complete motors for sale and many gt/gtx parts for sale at this moment. I am quite sure you could snap one up for under $1000, maybe even around $500. No offense to the people on this board but we are not experts when it comes to the B6T/BPT motors, these people are. These are true rally racers, many are kiwis or ausies who have had access to all the great Mazda cars. Do a search on their egroup, you will learn a wealth of knowledge.
jeff

Post by jeff »

I just took your advice and went to the323gtx egroup on yahoo and you do learn alot about those engines.. I personally just bought at B6T engine and I can't wait to get it in. those enginse have some good potential for sure!! thanks for the site man!
jeff

Post by jeff »

I was wondering something.. I have read a couple of times that people have had problems installing the transmission from the mx-3 on the B6T. does anyone know for sure that the transmissions are interchangeable?
jinu_chang

Post by jinu_chang »

haha Steve u must be a friend of George then right? Yeah I will be there this Saturday. See ya then! George was telling me there was a mx-3 there. I'll have to take a look this saturday
Ryan Bowen

Post by Ryan Bowen »

Hey boyz I am from London all so we should hook up. Also if you looking for machine work my uncle owns leitner and bush performance engineering in Toronto they can do alot to any engine you get. check the site <A HREF="http://www.leitnerbush.com" TARGET=_blank>www.leitnerbush.com</A>
jinu_chang

Post by jinu_chang »

Rybo.. this Saturday right beside Williams at 6pm. If weather permits of course.. It's the parking lot of I think it's a school or a church? Pretty much right across Jim Bob Rays
maldo

Post by maldo »

All the RS trannies will bolt up, just a matter of how many bolts actually will work. The tranny from my RS only bolts up in 4-5 areas, instead of the usual 11. Not a big deal, just make sure that everything is sealed up well. There is enough support to hold the tranny and motor together, not to worry about the fewer bolts holding it together.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”