changing ecu

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Shady469
Supporting Member

changing ecu

Post by Shady469 »

Is there an ecu out there or can you get ours reprogrammed so that the MAF is bypassed?
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
Rich MX3

Re: changing ecu

Post by Rich MX3 »

Ouch. Those prices you're getting quoted on are too high at least for me. SUPERCHIPS will replace your ECU with a brand new chip installed for $395.00 along with a lifetime warranty. Only thing is they need the entire ECU and you have to send it in. Anything over $1000.00 is definitely a rip-off just for a ECU. Visit <A HREF="http://www.superchips.com" TARGET=_blank>www.superchips.com</A> and check it out for yourself. Maybe they can program it so the MAF is bypassed?
Richard Y.<BR>'94 Black GS<BR>Stock V6, minor mods
reppin626

Post by reppin626 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich:<BR>[QB] Anything over $1000.00 is definitely a rip-off just for a ECU. QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>well if you consider the flexibility of a stand alone and that it would only cost $600 more than an upgraded chip, it ain't that bad. depends on what your looking for-complete control of your engine or a simple upgrade [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
reppin626

Post by reppin626 »

one more thing, how do you meter the incoming air without the maf? are you going to switch to map or vaf or something. just curious.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i agree, the stand alone is worth the extra money. say you spend your 400 bones on a chip. that chip is programmed for what you currently have done to the engine. say you alter the intake/fuel/spark of the engine. to optimize this, you would have to send in the ecu and get reprogrammed..thus being without a car again. with a stand-alone, all you have to do is take your laptop to your car, plug it in, reprogram, and your done. plus you can adjust your tuning to meet your specific requierments as with a preprogrammed chip...you stuck.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

What would be the benefit of installing an ECU from a RX-7 turbo in an mx-3? Would that be easy to put in my 93 RS SOHC? What is MAF sensor and what are the benefit of bypassing it?<P>thanx to anyone who will take the time to answer these questions. :) :)
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
reppin626

Post by reppin626 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brainless:<BR><STRONG>What would be the benefit of installing an ECU from a RX-7 turbo in an mx-3? Would that be easy to put in my 93 RS SOHC? What is MAF sensor and what are the benefit of bypassing it?<P>thanx to anyone who will take the time to answer these questions. :) :)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>i can answer the question about the maf. the maf is the mass air flow meter. it reads the incoming air to the intake. i'm speaking from a probe/626/mx6 point of view. i'm not sure what the mx3 uses, but all vehicles that use fuel injection need something to tell the computer how much air is coming in so that it can add the correct amount of fuel. as for the rx7 ecu, i'm going to assume that since it's from a forced induction vehicle it automatically accounts for boost w/ it's current program, something that n/a ecu's may not be able to do. this is the reason for using a piggy back system like the apex s-afc or better yet a stand alone, so that you can make the neccesary adjustments for the amount of air and fuel that you need. if everything hooks up w/ out changing any wire harness than the rx7 ecu may not be a bad choice, especially on the pocket book ;). maybe some one on the board could elaborate on the rx7 ecu's compatibility for the mx3?
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich:<BR><STRONG>Ouch. Those prices you're getting quoted on are too high at least for me. SUPERCHIPS will replace your ECU with a brand new chip installed for $395.00 along with a lifetime warranty. Only thing is they need the entire ECU and you have to send it in. Anything over $1000.00 is definitely a rip-off just for a ECU. Visit <A HREF="http://www.superchips.com" TARGET=_blank> <A HREF="http://www.superchips.com</A>" TARGET=_blank>www.superchips.com[/URL]</A> and check it out for yourself. Maybe they can program it so the MAF is bypassed?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ummm, no<P>The consensus on Superchips is that they put a sticker on your ECU and send it back.....i would touch them with a 10 foot pole.<P>Also superchips is just a chip, non programable. A Stand Alone will allow all sorts of tuning ability, and this is where all power in an engine comes from. Put on a Stand Alone like SDS or Haltec, and youre gonna pull at least an extra 20whp from almost any engine you can imagine. <P>There is no chip that even comes close to a full computer.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
renef

Post by renef »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by reppin626:<BR><STRONG><BR>if everything hooks up w/ out changing any wire harness than the rx7 ecu may not be a bad choice, especially on the pocket book ;). maybe some one on the board could elaborate on the rx7 ecu's compatibility for the mx3?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I would like to know this one myself. Where's Vaughn? <P>Especially since the RX7 is a ROTARY engine. I would have never guessed that the ECU would be compatible with a B6E or any 4 cylinder engine for tha matter.<P>Who's got a shop manual that we can use to compare the ECU pinouts and voltages?<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
renef

Post by renef »

We still have to answer to the question:<P>Can the MAF sensor be replaced or upgraded?<P>The 94+ MX3 has a small one that takes up way less space.<P>All Mazdas have to have something in common...right?<P>For the record, the 1990 - 1993 323 and Miata also have that darned MAF thingy<P>How do we get rid of it? Gimme a Mazda part I can rip out of the junker!!!<P>Maybe jump and splice a few wires??? Anybody??? <P>.help
renef

Post by renef »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oo7sniper:<BR><STRONG>get one from a 97-98 RX-7 Turbo and...<BR>----------------------<P>Jeremy Miller<BR>93 Mazda MX-3 RS-R<P>[ December 15, 2001: Message edited by: oo7sniper ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Yes, thanks for the reply, but we need to re-check the car dates... 98??? I think the correct years are 91-94 for the RX-7 TurboII, but I will try to verify it on this end.<P>RF

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”