engine swap... what should i get???

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
longisland55

engine swap... what should i get???

Post by longisland55 »

i have a '93 mx-3, 1.6L SOCH, and 118200 miles... i want to change my engine, and i really would like to swap the 2.5 v6 into my mx-3, but i've heard that it's way better to swap the 1.8 DOCH... i don't know if it is a 1.8 4l or v6... anyways, i'd like to get some advice. i really want to know what would be the best option. And i want enough ponnies to beat civics si, or get at least 16 seconds in 1/4 mile...
codene

Re: engine swap... what should i get???

Post by codene »

get a b6t or a bpt. there both under $1000 and have good perfomance. the b6t is a 1.6 while the bpt is a 1.8 . im going to have the bpt soon (by february) and im gonna do a step-by-step full write up and post it on the site. (maybe sell it on ebay.....nah)
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/mail_cory_here" TARGET=_blank>Codenes Car</A>
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

both the bpt and b6t are 4 bangers. i'm going with the bpt and hopefully i'll be done around the same time as codene. i've finally found a shop with a decent quote of 600-800 for everything including swapping out the wiring harness.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
david103

Post by david103 »

you guys are so lucky to have the funding and the time to do that swap..... i'm jealous. hahaha<P>dave
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by codene:<BR><STRONG>get a b6t or a bpt. there both under $1000 and have good perfomance. the b6t is a 1.6 while the bpt is a 1.8 . im going to have the bpt soon (by february) and im gonna do a step-by-step full write up and post it on the site. (maybe sell it on ebay.....nah)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I can't wait to see that! I also consider doing a swap in my 93 rs
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

hey brainless. so your thinking about doing the swap again? <P>codene, how much is the install gonna run you down there?
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
pakix2000

Post by pakix2000 »

hey dave, are u gonna do the swap ure self? <BR>Know any good shops around houston?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by daverman:<BR><STRONG>you guys are so lucky to have the funding and the time to do that swap..... i'm jealous. hahaha<P>dave</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
longisland55

Post by longisland55 »

thanks y'all for the advice. i think i'll get the bpt. i wanna get something around 140 hp. would it be possible?? and is there any place on the internet where i can see a bpt?? or any shop?? i hope y'all do your swap; if i can do mine, i'll surely post it, step by step...
longisland55

Post by longisland55 »

i recently saw in a web page this engine: 1.8 BPD, and it says it comes from mazda family GT-R, and of course the BPT, but for this last one, does not say what family it comes from... maybe GT-r?? i'm confused... could anyone explain this to me?
longisland55

Post by longisland55 »

by the way, the page is <A HREF="http://www.fordfestiva.com" TARGET=_blank>www.fordfestiva.com</A> and i already found info about the BPD... i'm sure y'all wanna love all that info.. :p
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by longisland55:<BR><STRONG>i recently saw in a web page this engine: 1.8 BPD, and it says it comes from mazda family GT-R, and of course the BPT, but for this last one, does not say what family it comes from... maybe GT-r?? i'm confused... could anyone explain this to me?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>There are 2 versions of the BPT that are available. They are both BPT engines. the first one came in the normal Familia GTX and put out 180hp in stock trim. The other came in the 323 GT-R, the hatchback only, and put out 210hp. Only a 30hp difference in stock form, but the GT-R motor came with a lot of "race tricks" and will easily hold a TON of power on the stock internals, if the 400hp or so that the GTX motor isnt enough for you. However, the motor from the GTR is VERY RARE, and prepare for at least a year sitting on a waiting list while they try to find one. <P>To sum things up, both motors were on the BG chassis 323 cars.<P>And to sum up power....stock BPT in a Familia pulls low 15s stock in AWD form. So that will kill a Civic Si if you can drive it right. A few mods, and say hello to pony cars.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

longisland, you said you want the bpt, but you want around 140hp? the bpt is 180 or 210.<BR>and protege is right about finding a gtr bpt. i've only been able to find one place that can get them and that is adelaide jap dismantlers(australia). it's a little pricey, especially with shipping being around 500 bucks to the east coast.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
david103

Post by david103 »

to pakix2000:<P>actually i'm not going to do the whole swap. only an exasut manifold, intercooler, etc. the head and block and tranny and ecu will stay stock (other than aftermarket upgrades). i haven't even looked for a shop in houston yet. my first concern is fundage. i'll most likely just go to carboy or any place that they recommend. carboy is VERY close to where you live. (59 south and beltway area)<P>dave
I_love_my_MX-3

Post by I_love_my_MX-3 »

good luck on the swaps, Im planning on doing a BPT swap in the future, I need money first though.<P>-Alex<p>[ December 06, 2001: Message edited by: I_love_my_MX-3 ]
1992 MX-3 handed down to my sis :)
1992 MR-2 Turbo sold and missed :(
1995 Integra GS-R :)

codene

Post by codene »

im gonna do all the work myself. i figure w/ my dad and my best friend helping me it should only take a week if we get all the parts in.
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/mail_cory_here" TARGET=_blank>Codenes Car</A>

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”