under drive crank pully??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
renef

Re: under drive crank pully??

Post by renef »

I have to completely disagree with all the above comments. The personal experiences I can't dispute.<P>The principle and PHYSICS of a lighter crank pulley is best understood if the original author of this thread talks to Unorthodox directly.<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
pakix2000

Post by pakix2000 »

BUT, it is not only a lighter pulley, it is an under drive pulley. Drives things like oilpump and waterpump slower.<P>Your gonna have to trust us on this 1, it is bad idea to put this pully on, if it wasn't this mod would be more popular.<P>Spend some time readin the miata forums. <P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by renef:<BR><STRONG>I have to completely disagree with all the above comments. The personal experiences I can't dispute.<P>The principle and PHYSICS of a lighter crank pulley is best understood if the original author of this thread talks to Unorthodox directly.<P>RF</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

I have to agree with you Renef. I have over 30k miles on my car with NO effects. Everything is fine and I drive the s#@* outta my car. NOS and all. This is the only prob with the internet. One bad experience explodes into fifty people with broken cars. I am in the online retail business and notice this first hand. One persons BMW makes some kind of noise and then all of the sudden the service dept gets a flood of cars that think they have probs. Call unorthodox. they are not gonna sell a product that is not safe. It is not in their best interest. Make the call. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by renef:<BR><STRONG>I have to completely disagree with all the above comments. The personal experiences I can't dispute.<P>The principle and PHYSICS of a lighter crank pulley is best understood if the original author of this thread talks to Unorthodox directly.<P>RF</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
pakix2000

Post by pakix2000 »

:)<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjthor:<BR><STRONG>I have to agree with you Renef. I have over 30k miles on my car with NO effects. Everything is fine and I drive the s#@* outta my car. NOS and all. This is the only prob with the internet. One bad experience explodes into fifty people with broken cars. I am in the online retail business and notice this first hand. One persons BMW makes some kind of noise and then all of the sudden the service dept gets a flood of cars that think they have probs. Call unorthodox. they are not gonna sell a product that is not safe. It is not in their best interest. Make the call. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
maldo

Post by maldo »

Unorthodox isn't going to say that their pulley causes keyway failure. They blame it on Mazda, Mazda blames it on the pulley. Check the Miata or 323 forums, they will all tell you the same thing. <P>You won't notice that you crank snout is about to fail until it is too late. The problem is that the crank bolt has a tendency to back out of the crank a bit. The new pulley doesn't have the balancer to help reduce wobble, this wobble wiggles the key way until it shears off the crank snout. Take you pulleys off and see if you have any play on the key. <P>Do some research, don't always believe corporate propaganda. I almost bought a set until I saw the proof of what happens.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”