Just purchased an MX-3... now time to make it fast!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
pikawel

Just purchased an MX-3... now time to make it fast!

Post by pikawel »

Money/HP ratio, what should I upgrade first? I just got it yesterday... it's a 4 cylinder manual. <P>It needs some body work (looks like some kids repeatedly shot the doors with an airgun... I don't know...) and possibly a paintjob. The stick shift leather boot or whatever it's called, is torn. The steering wheel grip feels REALLY strange... spongy almost. If anyone knows where to get another one of those leather boots, lemme know...<P>As for the HP upgrades, let me know what I should do.
You obviously lack the creative genius to integrate Legos and Duplos.
Manach

Re: Just purchased an MX-3... now time to make it fast!

Post by Manach »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pikawel:<BR><B>Money/HP ratio, what should I upgrade first? I just got it yesterday... it's a 4 cylinder manual. <P>It needs some body work (looks like some kids repeatedly shot the doors with an airgun... I don't know...) and possibly a paintjob. The stick shift leather boot or whatever it's called, is torn. The steering wheel grip feels REALLY strange... spongy almost. If anyone knows where to get another one of those leather boots, lemme know...<P>As for the HP upgrades, let me know what I should do.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You want to upgrade already, and you just got it? Hummm, I would suggest to "feel" it first. Drive it around for a month, and you'll know what brag you about the car at that time, or what you like. Maybe that steering will be ok then.<P>With mine, i'll do esthetic job. Getting the Color right, the wheel cleaner. If the paint isn't to your taste, do a Paint Job.<P>About HP, well, it is your money. So talk with people around you what you can do for an increase, check the posts, you'll get some idea. If you are a mechanic, great, if not, wish you got a friend or two who are. If not, you might spend money at the wrong place.<P>Get to know your car like you know about you. Then if the car doesn't reflect you, try to adjust it to you.<P>My 2 cents.<P>Manach
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
RanMan

Re: Just purchased an MX-3... now time to make it fast!

Post by RanMan »

The key to getting more power out of your engine is to get more AIR in it! It is as simple as that. More air means you can add more fuel, which in turn means POWER. Another key to getting air into the engine is making sure that it can also get out of the engine so more clean air can come in for the next explosion (combustion). This means anything dealing with getting more air in or out of the engine is where you want to start. This includes, intake, header, turbo, blower, head work, bigger or polished throttle body, free flow cat, free flow muffler, etc. Where to start depends on one thing....money. As the saying goes "Speed is a question of money....How fast do you want to go?". I started with the exhaust because I think that most cars usually have a more restrictive exhaust than intake. If you have a really good exhaust, it can help to create a vaccuum (from the air moving out the exhaust) which will help to pull more air into the combustion chamber.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”