Alright...I have a VJ-14 turbo, now what can I do? Any h

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
rikymaru

Alright...I have a VJ-14 turbo, now what can I do? Any h

Post by rikymaru »

Alright..I just bought an 88 323 GTX Turbo (VJ-14)<P>The only thing that is coming with it is the basic turbo and the manifold to bolt on. What are my options now with the car? Will the 4 cylinder PRM intake still work and the MX3 aftermarket exhausts? I want it to be fast, but I dont want to do something that will ruin the engine because it needs to last me another 4 years. NOS is out of the question now, because NOS and a turbo on a daily driver is like a hermaphodite...more parts on a body than god intended ^_^
Elena, don't misunderstand. A pro isn't someone who sacrifices themselves for their job. That is just a fool.
PHieT850

Re: Alright...I have a VJ-14 turbo, now what can I do? Any h

Post by PHieT850 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rikymaru:<BR><B>Alright..I just bought an 88 323 GTX Turbo (VJ-14)<P>The only thing that is coming with it is the basic turbo and the manifold to bolt on. What are my options now with the car? Will the 4 cylinder PRM intake still work and the MX3 aftermarket exhausts? I want it to be fast, but I dont want to do something that will ruin the engine because it needs to last me another 4 years. NOS is out of the question now, because NOS and a turbo on a daily driver is like a hermaphodite...more parts on a body than god intended ^_^</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>im about to get the same thing... where did u get yers from??? how much?? i want an idea of what prices are..thanks....phiet<BR>
Dont want something, that doesnt want you back
maldo

Post by maldo »

If you have the turbo and manifold you will need a whole lot more for the swap. Either rewire your stock fuel pump or get at least a 190lph pump. You will need to tap the oil pan for a turbo oil return line. You need a boost and air/fuel guage. Possibly larger injectors. Intercooler, only place to mount it is in the front which requires the use of hood pins because you need to remove the latch and its support. The PRM can still be used, I have mine on my B6T, but you will need the j-pipe from the GTX or have one made. You will also need a BOV. This is just a quick list of parts that you will need. I have a B6T swap in my car, total cost is between $2000-$2500. The motor was $500.<P>
rikymaru

Post by rikymaru »

no..i dont have the BPT or B6T, i just have the turbo from the B6T. I heard you just need to bolt it right up and tap the retuyrn line to the turbo (like you said) A few other mods have to be done (a 5th injector and different fuel pump)...but otherwise it will fit my DOHC perfectly.
Elena, don't misunderstand. A pro isn't someone who sacrifices themselves for their job. That is just a fool.
renef

Post by renef »

fuel pump from a 2nd gen RX-7 bolts in<P>I did a Weapon-R fuel regulator by removing the tiny factory regulator, adding a threaded hose fitting into the fuel rail and sealing the outside edge with epoxy.<P>Then mount the thing on the side where the drive belts are. there should be several holes available near the shock tower. Find a sheet metal screw that fits and bolt it in.<P>Follow the instructions from there. You should leave the vaccum hose from the solenoid hanging. you don't need it.<P>I'm trying to get pictures scanned of my mods. Hang in there.<P>...but it works!!!<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
maldo

Post by maldo »

You don't need a 5th injector. If you want to bolt the manifold on an have enough fuel to avoid detonation, add more fuel. Get a bigger fuel pump, at least the 190lph from the Eclipse. Get a set of injectors and the ecu from a Protege LX, it should be the same year as your MX-3. This will give you better fueling. The problem is that the car will run lean at low rpm but rich at high rpm. Get yourself a APEXi S-AFC or a FPR to make sure you have enough fuel. I would suggest getting boost and A/F guages.<P>
rikymaru

Post by rikymaru »

"Get a bigger fuel pump, at least the 190lph from the Eclipse."<P>Which year turbo eclipse would provide this bigger fuel pump? There is a guy who is selling 1990 Eclispe GSX Turbo parts on thsi board..<BR> <A HREF="http://www.mx3.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001074.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mx3.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001074.html</A> <P>Could that work?<P>As for the needed parts so far for my turbo:<P>Bigger Fuel Pump<---the 2nd generation RX7 will work for this<P>Bigger Fuel INjectors (The guy I bought it from just added a 5th one to stop the detenation problem he was having)<P>APEXi Fuel Pressure Regulator<P>Boost Gauges<P>A Boost controller (I dont want to be running around with high PSI all the time and destroy the engine)<P>Anything else? Thanks for all the help guys and keep it coming :-)
stud112

Post by stud112 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maldo:<BR><B>If you have the turbo and manifold you will need a whole lot more for the swap. Either rewire your stock fuel pump or get at least a 190lph pump. You will need to tap the oil pan for a turbo oil return line. You need a boost and air/fuel guage. Possibly larger injectors. Intercooler, only place to mount it is in the front which requires the use of hood pins because you need to remove the latch and its support. The PRM can still be used, I have mine on my B6T, but you will need the j-pipe from the GTX or have one made. You will also need a BOV. This is just a quick list of parts that you will need. I have a B6T swap in my car, total cost is between $2000-$2500. The motor was $500.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Where did you buy your engine!<P><P>------------------<BR>1.6L Sohc,<BR> Tuoi
Team iTech
rikymaru

Post by rikymaru »

I bought my turbo from a member...as for engines, there is a group buy going on right now.<BR> <A HREF="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mazdamx-3 ... sage/59625" TARGET=_blank>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mazdamx-3 ... e/59625</A> <P>Go there...hope that helps man.
maldo

Post by maldo »

I bought my motor from a GTX that a guy was parting out. <P>As far as the fuel pump goes, I believe it is a 1G that you can get it from. Or go to the RX-7 model which flows more. Don't mess around with a 5th injector, not unless you are going to spend huge $$$ on a controller. Find the ecu and injectors from a Protege LX that is made in the same year as your MX-3. You will also have to change your MAF sensor since the voltage is different between the 2 ecus. A MAF from a FC3S will bolt up perfectly and flows much more air.
rikymaru

Post by rikymaru »

So I would want the 95 Protege` injectors and ECU? Would that be the Jspec turbo one, or would the domestic Aspec injectors work just as well? I was thiking of trying to locate a B6T ECU....
maldo

Post by maldo »

Don't bother trying to wire in the B6t ecu. I spent 3 months trying to figure that out. It won't work, the problem is that you are trying to adapt '86 technology into a '90 car. If you have a '95 mx-3 go with '95 LX injectors and ecu. Your only other option for the ecu is to get one from the GTR. Adelaid in Aussie can get them for $250 USD.
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

This is really good info, I thought I would ask a question in regards to this thread.<P>I have done the same steps as far as the turbo goes. I got a VJ-14 Hybrid Turbo, GTX Manifold, Intercooler, HKS BOV, and I have an Apexi S-AFC (On back Order).<P>Here is my problem first off I have heard that the Apexi S-AFC is nearly impossible to hook up to the 94 RS ECU. Second do I still need injectors from a 94 Protege, or RX-7 Fuel Pump, or 94 Protege ECU in regards to detonation.<P>Also is it any easier to hook a 94 Protege ECU up to the Apexi S-AFC?
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

you are definatly going to need something to get more fuel.....depends on how much boost....don't cheap out when it comes to fuel system when using turbo and NOS.........fuel pressure regulater is a must, better fuel pump, air fuel mixture and boost guages a must
Steve
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

Ya youre right I was talking to Maldo and with the regards to the fuel system I am getting some Protege LX Fuel Injectors and I will be working on getting an RX-7 Fuel Pump or a Fuel Pressure Regulator I saw that someone made a custom fit one that look pretty good, it I could hunt one of those down that would be how I would do it.<P>I am down to about $400.00 for this project so I will have to limit what I get because I still have to pay the muffler shop for bent pipes and a custom downpipe.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”