Cooling Fans not working? Help Please!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions

Cooling Fans not working? Help Please!

Post by Guest »

Hey I have a 94 4cly and I cant seem to get the cooling fans to come on. The fans still work but the fans wont come on. They are pluged in too. If it was the relay would nt the engine not run ? Please Help with any and All info you may have, CHirs
Cybin

Re: Cooling Fans not working? Help Please!

Post by Cybin »

I got the same problem I ordered a new relay and will have it on monday. If it works I'll let you know. I deliver pizzas and the car stays cool till I stop for more then 10 min. then it pegs the needle but will cool down once I start to drive.<P>

Post by Guest »

That would be great! I was going to buy the relay but it was $65. and I didnt want to pay $65 just to see if it worked and then having it not work, AH I 'd be mad. The mazda man told me of a way to check it by probeing in the fuse box and if the fans come on , then it s the relay, but I blew a fuse the first try, But let me know what happens, and the part number of the relay.<BR> The updated the original relay and now its a differ part #, Thanks Chris
Cybin

Post by Cybin »

So heres the deal. I have a 93 1.6L SOHC, So if you have the DOHC it might differ. Anyway it wasn't the relay, I replaced the relay in the engine compartment located in the fuse box. Nothing, So when it was overheating I broke out the voltage meter. The relay was getting a weak signal to turn on. So I it must be the sensor. To my horror I found out that the engine has two water temp sensors. One for the computer and one to tell the fan to go on. The fan sensor is located on the thermastat housing, by the distributor. Its got ONE wire coming from it. Hot damn the fan works again.<P>Relay $26 from Mazda dealer<BR>Temp sensor $23 from Autozone.<P>If it turns out you need the relay I'll sell you the new one for cheap. I don't need it. Any questions hit me at my e-mail.<BR> <P>
vegetoking

Post by vegetoking »

i have this same problem but i have a 1995 mazda mx-3 DOCH 1.6l, If i buy this coolant temperature sensor maybe the fans might work again... is this correct or is it different from soch to doch engines?

Is this what I need?
http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.asp?SourceArea=SHOP&SourcePage=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=GPS&MfrPartNumber=TSU166&PartType=290&PTSet=A

The fans dont work at idle, and they dont work when the car is being driven. I havent tried to see if they work when teh a/c is on but i doubt it.

<small>[ July 20, 2004, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: vegetoking ]</small>
vegetoking

Post by vegetoking »

what do u mean it has 2 sensors?

Advance auto parts and autozone only sells one type of coolant temp sensor and thats the one pictured above.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Sounds like a defective fan thermo switch. This is getting quite common for this to go. A simple test would be to ground out the wire going to this switch to the block.
vegetoking

Post by vegetoking »

no doubt

I been searching and searching for an hour now..

all the forum says is that it could be the thermostat, the radiator could be clogged,the radiator temp sensor might be ****e.d, the temp sensor on the blocked might be bad, the coolant cap, and even the timing might be too low. the fan is not turning either so im not sure. the coolant in the reservoir seems to always stay at the same level no matter if teh car is hold or cold.

Can u guys help me narrow it down?
dj inferno

Post by dj inferno »

heres a list of things to check/replace for a SOHC (probley about the same for a DOHC)
it goes from cheapest/easyest to harder/more expencive.

1) do the fans work??
- stick 2 wires in the ends and connect one to the + term. and on to the - Term. on your batt. if it spins freely and easly it works. but if it squeaks and ****, u need a new one (get on from a junk yard)
2) Fuse (duh)
3) wireing connections, maybe go through, check the connections to see if there there, then make sure they are clean.
4) Relay (23$ from napa, 20 from CSK auto parts (special order only)
5) temp. sensor (the one that goes into your thermostate housing and only has ONE wire)
(like 35$ i think. from napa, good luck finding one sumwere else.)

i found out that my drv. side fan didn't work, but my pass. fan worked, but wasn't coming on so i switched fans, then i hadda replace the relay and the fuse... after fixing the connections lol, as of right now im running on one fan, but it works a HELL of alot better then NONE! i finaly got another fan, so i plan on throwing that in someday lol.
vegetoking

Post by vegetoking »

i can't seem to find the relay.. i dont think the doch has one for the fan. like i said i replaced the fuse, and the a/c fan works.

i have some sand paper ill try sanding down the connections on the plugs. and then ill try to check to see if it works from the battery.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

dohc cooling fan relay is in the driver side fender well, behind the coolant overflow, and down.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
vegetoking

Post by vegetoking »

i connected some wires going straight from the fan to the baterry and the fan turned just fine but with a lil squaky noise. I then procedded to turn it manually and it had that squeaky noise as well, but the fan turns fine... so im not sure what else to do but check the relay i guess

<small>[ July 21, 2004, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: vegetoking ]</small>

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”