is there any turbos available for the 4cyl, 1.6L

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Re: is there any turbos available for the 4cyl, 1.6L

Post by hotsiit »

sorry, HOTSITT@excite.com is my e-mail<P>chris<BR>93rs
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

not much point to this i guess but if you have time i would like to hear about it as well wes_x@hotmail.com
mistahmoogle

Post by mistahmoogle »

sorry to bother, but e-mail me too if you have the chance. mistahmoogle@hotmail.com. thanks! oh, do you think it will fit a 1.6L DOHC I-4? lookin' for cheap performance. thanks again!
Spinkzer

Post by Spinkzer »

aHaHa great you have the entire register'd users that just want you to e-mail em now. haha that blows man. lol. <BR> Yeah.. tell me to docfahn@aol.com.<BR>hehe<BR> =)Chad Fahnestock
totaled93mx3GS

Post by totaled93mx3GS »

with everyone that wants you to e-mail them, why don't you just post it? cause i want it too, but i'd hate to ask you to e-mail me too. hehehe
mendel00985

Post by mendel00985 »

Yep, I wouldn't even think about asking you to e-mail me at vmanny00@hotmail.com either!
maldo

Post by maldo »

The Capri turbo manifold will bolt up, so will any manifold off of a 323GT/GTX. You can run the turbo off of the stock computer but it won't run perfectly. The stock injectors and fuel pump are not adequate enough to support anything more than that manifold and turbo. The biggest problem with the swap is tapping the oil pan for a turbo oil return line. Even with the turbo the motor will only be capable of 130-140hp to the wheels. To reach 180hp at the wheels you would need massive upgrades to reach that goal. A quick list is 3" downpipe, 3" exhaust, MBC, 255lph fuel pump, FPR, bigger i/c, cold air box, and a reprogrammed ecu. All of these mods will only net you about 165hp to the wheels at 16psi. The VJ11 turbo that comes with that manifold can't sustain boost pressure past 16psi. Even at that level, boost pressure will drop after 4000rpm. It would be easier just to drop the b6t into your car, that's what I did. The goal is 350hp to the wheels over the next couple of years.<P>------------------<BR>Chris Malden<BR>Soon to be MX-3RSR
cemcintosh

Post by cemcintosh »

I am also interested in the capri turbo swap. if you could email to cemcintosh@hotmail.com, I would greatly appreciate it. If you are emailing everyone how to do this, you ought to make a word file or something that you can just send to people and not have to write it up more than once.
Xyphin

Post by Xyphin »

For drag racing purposes, automatics are known for more consistant 1/4 mile times due to computerized shifting and also because automatic transmissions can build and hold boost on the line right? Granted a heavy duty clutch would work better then the stock clutch for the higher horsepower ratings to prevent slippage.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Custommx3:<BR><B>if you have an auto.. might as well not even try unless you plan a tranny swap.<P><BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Xyphin
mistahmoogle

Post by mistahmoogle »

Will any of these turbos talked about (Eclipse, Capri, GTX) fit on the DOHC or will they only fit the SOHC?
heatherc

Post by heatherc »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hijst:<BR><B>ok if you want a small turbo that will give you an extra 40 hp , go to a junk yark and find a meckery capri xr-2 or something, they engens are the same size, i put one on mine, i have a 93 1.6 with 88hp stock but i have close to 180 hp now with my mods, you can get it for about 300 dollars. and its worth it. trust me one this one. you will get arround 8-10 lbs of boost. that what the engen will hold. with mods up to 16lbs</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>i am currently having someone looking for a cheap way to get me more 'get up and go' for my 4cyl mx3. is the capri the only used engine i can have him look for or are there others that would do the same job?<BR>
-----------------------------------<BR>_/*\_ ¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤·.<BR>\ M׳/¸.·¤**¤ müÇh LØVê †Ø M¥ m×鮊<BR>/.·*·.\¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤<BR>-----------------------------------
rikymaru

Post by rikymaru »

I bought my turbo from one of the board memebers. Just wait around and look for one.<P>As for the whole "I dont understand why I need a manual for the turbo" ask Jean Francois (Guy I bought my turbo from) He tore up his automatic transmission with the turbo in 5k or so miles. A manual will actually hold for its average engine life.
Elena, don't misunderstand. A pro isn't someone who sacrifices themselves for their job. That is just a fool.
maldo

Post by maldo »

The manifold you are looking for is off of a B6T motor. The motor is made by Mazda but is found in the Mazda GT/GTX, and Mercury Capri XR2. You will most likely be charged about $500 for the manifold, I bought my entire motor for $500. The stock injectors and ecu won't be able to handle the added demands of the turbo either.
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

has anyone thought about a supercharger?<P>------------------<BR>Shady MX-3<BR>92 1.6L SOHC
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
maldo

Post by maldo »

You are much more limited by a supercharger....so the answer is no. Turbos yield more power.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”