my car almost stalls sometimes at idle!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
ddmalcore

Re: my car almost stalls sometimes at idle!!

Post by ddmalcore »

there are alot of mx-3 fans in wisconsin... i get soo many coments on how cool my car is... (mx-3's in general) but most of the ones i see are piles of shat... does anybody take care of their cars anymore? mx-3's deserve much better care.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Well, My car was doing the SAME thing and it was dirty injectors. I know you say your dad is a mechanic, but if he doesnt look at them, he really doesnt know. If he is saying the symptoms dont sound like dirty injectors, then why was mine doing the same and it was?<P>Stalling at idle could be a number of things,<BR>low or bad battery<BR>improper fuel mixture (meaning it could be clogged injectors, mechanical problems, bad sensors, timing off, vaccume leaks, idle off.)<BR>It could be the tranny as well. your really not going to know unless you take it to a shop.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Custommx3 (edited June 08, 2001).]
pills_PMD

Post by pills_PMD »

yea.. i made him take the car in today and i was like... don't bring it home until it's fixed.
<A HREF="http://www.hondaswap.com" TARGET=_blank>hondaswap.com</A>
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I put a cone on as well. I drilleda hole in the rbber backing of the filter and attached the hose inside the hole.<P>------------------<BR>Barry Clark<BR><I><B>Moderator</B></I><BR>1995 Mazda Mx-3 RS<BR>Chaste White<BR><A HREF="http://www.barrykclark.com" TARGET=_blank>barrykclark.com</A> <BR> custommx3@usa.net
mxcowboy

Post by mxcowboy »

You may want to check your spark plug wires. I have had to replace them several times and the symptoms were similar.
WhittieMX3

Post by WhittieMX3 »

I had the same problem on my 93. Found out it is the vac sensor located on the underside of the throdle body(has 2 tubes going to it. costs about $200-$350us.
z_x71

Post by z_x71 »

hey i'm from wisconsin, i live kinda by appleton, love my mx, yeah i got lots of the smart remarks against our cars, but o well what ya gonna do
Keep smiling, It keeps people wondering what you are doing!
NateDog

Post by NateDog »

my car has that same problem. it has a loss of power till i hit 3,000 rpms then it kicks hard. my o2 sensor reads very rich most of the time. i pulled the plugs and it is time fornew plugs and wires. 80k miles on factory plugs and wires cant be good.
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

My car idles ok normally, but when I use the AC it idles very low. Almost stalling. I usually just keep my foot on the gas slightly while I am waiting at a light or whatever. I should try some of the things that were listed in this post.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
NateDog

Post by NateDog »

well i changed myplugs and wires. cleaned allmy electrical conections, and it still it the same. so im going to change my o2 sensor amd if it doesnt fixit im going to mazda and getting it looked at.
TheFkdCanuck

Post by TheFkdCanuck »

My 92 1.6 16 valve SOHC had EXACTLY the same problem. I would keep my toe on the throttle to keep the revs up at all stop lights.<p>EASY FIX - The 1.6 doesn't have an idle adjustment, but it has an airflow adjustment valve, just like a carb jet. It's right on top of the fuel injection box, hidden by a little rubber cap. Pull the cap up, and take a flat blade screwdriver to adjust the 'jet' until your idle comes up to where you want it. I leave mine around 1000-1100, so if I kick the A/C on, it doesn't stall out, but still idles low enough to rumble a bit.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”