Shifter pops out of 5th gear- bushing or trans problem?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
jsjkr

Shifter pops out of 5th gear- bushing or trans problem?

Post by jsjkr »

Hi, my '92 MX-3 GS 5 speed has begun popping out of 5th gear all the time. Started occasionally, now it won't stay in 5th at all. All other gears work fine. Shifter has HUGE slop in it (in any gear, shifter moves full travel from left -1st gear area- to right -5th gear area).
Searched lots of FAQs and see replies about shifter bushings and replacing trans.

Question: In the expert's opinion, would the sloppy shifter (which it sounds like may be fixed by a new bushing) cause it to pop out of 5th gear? Or, does it sound like the trans is shot, and would that cause the sloppy shifter travel?

Thanks for quick advice or direction to a link where I'm confident this has already been answered (I just can't find it).
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Shifter pops out of 5th gear- bushing or trans problem?

Post by Daninski »

Just because of the history I'd say shifter. Have you tried holding the shifter in 5th and see if there's any,, push back?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
jsjkr

Post by jsjkr »

Hi, I used to be able to keep my hand on the shifter and I 'd feel resistance like it wanted to pop out of gear, but it wouldn't.
Now, I can hold the sloppy stick as far toward 5th gear as it goes, but it jumps out of gear.
jaydog is back
antispam: No

Post by jaydog is back »

Check the fluid level. The trans houses 5th gear away from the rest of the gears in the trans. If the fluid level is low, than not enough fluid will be able to lubricate the 5th gear housing and has the problem of popping out of gear. I've had this problem before.. If the fluid is ok, then I suspect some worn parts.
specialtyneed
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by specialtyneed »

I have this exact but not completely persistient (yet) popping out of 5th gear issue in my RS for 2 years. Changed fluid added Prolong & no improvement. Then went with ATF still no improvement. Am now trying to source some shift fork bushings(sometimes plastic inserts) and or detent springs/ balls for the F25M-R man trans as a friend former Subaru dealer mechanic seems to remember that being culprit of popping out of 5th gear when on a grade or with slight to moderate acceleration. I have a salvage take off that I want to verify and fix if needed before changing the trans out this spring.

Can anyone confirm the real cause and fix and source of reliable inexpensive but quality aftermarket parts for the F25M-R?

BTW to the OP, the slop in the linkage has nothing to do with the popping issue as my plastic bushings were long gone when I bought mine in 2011 and the popping out of 5th started about a year later.
94 MX-3 L4 1.6L B6-DE DOHC MT F25M-R Silver Ext Blk Int 181k mi disty mod to ext style done. Worklog viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77306&hilit=specialtyneed&start=0
specialtyneed

Post by specialtyneed »

Hate having to put out an APB when the M25F-M man trans parts sources and shifter link spacer/ bushing info are in another post and searches are not finding specific retail sources or dimensions or just not standing out enough to grasp my attention as I can not spend hours per day browsing here like I kinda would like to. To make matters worse the only salvage in Tulsa area has sent nearly all the similar era Japanese cars to the crusher. Now their lot is bare, stupid. I have 11 vehicles to maintain and get roadworthy. Without a decent salvage parts availability its nearly impossible without being wealthy. I have 6 to feed so any help on this is like striking a gold vein for us and sooo appreciated and we are extremely grateful. I will follow up with any info I can that helps anyone with similar issues and in my worklog.
94 MX-3 L4 1.6L B6-DE DOHC MT F25M-R Silver Ext Blk Int 181k mi disty mod to ext style done. Worklog viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77306&hilit=specialtyneed&start=0
specialtyneed

Post by specialtyneed »

Update, I found the bushings very affordable at Napa but meanwhile I am into Toyota Prius Gen 2 Hybrids ('04 wife & '06 mine) for primary vehicles but my youngest son of 22 now drives this '94 MX-3 w/ F25M-R MT thst we converted to external secondary ign coil disty and he is trying to replace the shifter link bushings and one worn shoulder bolt for same link. Unfortunately after looking at several online places am striking out on the linkage shoulder bolt. Anyone know the specs/ dims for the bolt?
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Hmm there was someone on one of the Mazda FB groups selling linkage kits. If I come across it again I'll link you.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
specialtyneed

Post by specialtyneed »

My son ended up sending his older brother with money to special ordering & buying the shoulder bolts from the local Mazda dealer @ over $5 each which took a few days to come in. Took about $23 total to fix this. Will update on the popping out of 5th gear when I can get him to respond but he said his shifter side to side play is now drastically improved.

Return to “Transmissions”