Had to trade in my 1995 Mazda MX3

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
ratheater
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Had to trade in my 1995 Mazda MX3

Post by ratheater »

I bought Froggy 6 years ago for $1800, throw $2002 at it for maintenance. It had only 48K miles and I put 42K miles on it. All in all I think it was a relatively good car and helped me haul a bunch of things around.
It made it to Chicago from St Louis so I can see Dream Theater The Astonishing Live. It made it to Springfield twice because I felt like eating the corn dogs at Cozy Corn Dogs and partake in the Joe Roger's Firebrand Chili Challenge. The challenge was not bad at all, and I am sure that if I was hungry, I could have finished 6 bowls and become the champ. However, when I drove back home... there was not enough toilet paper to contain the horror that destroyed my bathroom.
Last month, Froggy started to have mechanic problems. Driving at 60 MPH, it started to jerk the steering wheel left and right. That'll freak you out. Both front control arms went bad. Then a couple of days later Froggy started leaking from both the transmission and engine.
Okay, that was getting ridiculous, so I started to look for another hatchback or coupe.

I found it, a 2011 Honda CR-Z EX with 26K miles for $9850. They agreed to take Froggy for $850 when I decide to drive to Raytown, MO to buy the CR-Z. I was quite apprehensive about buying anything, so I told them I will think about it. On March 18th, I woke up at 3am for no apparent reason, since it was a Saturday, I made up my mind to just drive 4 hours to Raytown MO to "look" at this CR-Z. All along the way, I was consoling Froggy,"Good boy, Froggy. Just a couple more hours." "Just 100 more miles, just 50 more miles." I left the house at 4am, and got there at 8:30 am and no one was there at the dealership. So I walked around to find the CR-Z. Yep, I liked how it looked immediately. It is kinda like the MX-3 and I knew right away that I was going to take it home. Once the salesman showed up, I signed the paperwork and I was off.

The 2011 Honda CR-Z EX is amazing, tight steering, amazing stereo and I was getting 37.5 MPG on the drive back home. Driving the MX-3 for 6 years made me appreciated how simple and awesome the car was. I fell in love with the hatch quality of,"Please mister, you can put more stuff in me." (Hmm... sounded kinda dirty)

Froggy when the control arm went bad.

Forggy next to my new hatch, hatch brother unite!
MX_Sid

Re: Had to trade in my 1995 Mazda MX3

Post by MX_Sid »

It always makes me sad when another MX-3 leaves the road. :crying: There are so few ov us left... Hope you enjoy the new car.
I HATE mechanic shops and LOVE junkyards!!
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Had to trade in my 1995 Mazda MX3

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I honestly found the BRZ/FRS very Mx-3 like inside. Never driven one, but obviously the difference being RWD. Power is similar to a KLZE (205hp/156tq) but a tad heavier. If you can get a real Toyota 86 base, you're looking at apparently 2624lbs, which is not bad, but loaded (and assuming with the auto) she's just over 2800lbs.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”