SuperK's '92 MX-3 GS "Clanky" (ukrman's car)

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: SuperK's '92 MX-3 GS "Clanky" (ukrman's car)

Post by SuperK »

I tried 3 times to pass emissions and failed. I finally caved in and took it to a shop to get some readings. Even though the O2 sensors had less than 10k, it was some stupid bosch sensor that had some noise. We tried to compensate and get the CO readings lower but nothing we did made a difference. the KL3X ECU I had was running rich and compensated for whatever we tried.

I disconnected a vacuum line which leaned out the mixture significantly and cut the results down 1/3 of the original readings.

I have now swapped to a KL02 ECU, KL02 VAF and a Denso O2 sensor.

I thought I was clever by removing the sensor off of the EGR valve and taping it half shut, but then Sleeper6 (Glen) advised me it wouldn't work. I thought it did... but it keeps coming on during highway cruising.

I poked into Sleeper6's worklog and found he tried the same thing and some members explained the reasons why. I believe I'll connect the K8 EGR in lieu of the millenia one so I avoid messing with the harness but for right now I'm not too worried about it.

I also added a little extra contrast and a little less brightness (to the pictures) and voila! My car looks better!

Anyways, Clanky might be sold next month. We'll see!
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I have done the auto belts to manual belts swap. What a pain.

The passenger rail failed when some really fat kid sat in the passenger seat. The belt didn't make it over him and never worked since.
I purchased a new rail for a good price but was concerned that it might be the cabling assembly and decided it would be cheaper and easier to go ahead and swap it to manual belts. I had an extra set of belts anyways so it would be convenient.
It was actually a little more work than I expected it would be.
The list of parts needed:

Pillar (A and B) trim pieces
Belt assembly
Belt guide
Lower belt mount
Belt buckle (on seat)
Headliner
"Oh Sh*t" handle bar (passenger side)
Center console/ebrake cover

You then can cut out from the RS the carpet around the lower seat belt mount to hide the metal area. Just cut and tuck behind your current carpet. Also cut a portion to tuck under where the passive restraint control unit is underneath the driver's seat to cover metal showing there.

Or replace the carpet completely if you're OCD.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

did you pass emissions yet?

Have you ever heard of the spark plug defouler trick? I used it on my WRX to pass emissions after I removed al of the cats. I also used it on a 2004 Matrix XRS I bought as a beater last year that had a CEL and it worked also.

This vid shows how to do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqDmmLQ4pGk

basically you buy a "HELP" brand spar plug defouler for about $3 and drill the center of it out so you can screw a o2 sensor into it. Screw the whole assembly into your downpipe and it helps lean out the reading on the sensor so it doesn't trip the light. I used 2 of these defoulers on my WRX cuz of how damn rich that thing runs but only had to use one of them on my matrix.

They come in packs of 1 or 2 at the auto parts store, good luck!
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Thanks, it passed emissions great by pulling off the vacuum hose. I had friend at a shop test it and he noticed the front O2 sensor had some noise in it. I used a hacked up universal Bosch O2 sensor that was actually on your car. I replaced it with a Denso OEM so I shouldn't have issues passing emissions in the future.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Also since this is OBD1 they use "the probe" stuck up the backside to get gas readings, not ECU readings.

This car is also for sale.

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/4502600829.html
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Just made a wiring harness to connect the EGR to.

Used the stock EGR wiring and the end of the signal light harness to make a plug and play adapter for the millenia EGR

I believe I have one or both bad EGR solenoids as well as a bad knock sensor. Oh goody, I'm so excited to replace THAT.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I've sold Clanky. Last picture I have is the new owner driving off with the little red turd

Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

When I said, "I've sold Clanky" What I meant is, "Someone else is driving it but I'm still fixing it."

So no good SuperK story is worth telling without a bit of misfortune.
I have a very long list of projects and responsibilities I need to complete. All ranging from cleaning/remodeling/landscaping around the home to scrapping/parting/selling cars and car parts. Sundays are set to be my "super productive" days. I was feeling pretty excited that Saturday night to knock some of these things out.

Until sunday morning arrived. I get a text from the current owner which reads, "I f***ed up, please call me"

Conversation went like this:
"I went to a concert in Atlanta (120 miles away) and on the way back I saw a BMW and FRS racing. So I joined in and beat them. Then my car started making a loud noise so I parked it and had someone pick me up."
"Did you record a video of the noise?"
"No, I didn't have space on the phone."
"Can you describe the noise?"
"It was kind of loud."
"Was it constant, was it noisy on idle? Was it a tick or a clack? was it only while it was rolling or when it was still?"
"I think so."

Well that was helpful. I told him it could be something simple or his engine could be, "blowed up" by his description he gave me.
I call Uhaul and reserve a tow dolly for pickup asap. Unfortunately the only tow dolly available was 15 miles the opposite direction, and his car was 90 miles away.

As we get closer, he gets more nervous. "I keep on feeling that you're going to start the car and you are going to make this unhappy look, which is going to tell me I'm screwed"
"Maybe," I say to console him.

We get to the car and first thing I do is pop the hood and then start it. The moment I start it, I purse my lips for a moment and then say, "You're screwed."

VIDEO:
https://youtu.be/BGF0s_S2f7U

It seemed he waited too long (5000 miles) for an oil change on cheap wal mart oil, while running it close to redline for far too long on 5th gear. The connecting rod bearing has left the building. Seemingly.

So I give him his options on the way up, from a cheap, used engine to drop in, to a full rebuild, to a proper imported ZE with 10.1 comp pistons and KL31 cams.
Liking the idea of extra power, I start looking for a ZE from some importers.

So a couple weeks later I found this hideous MX-6 down in Atlanta for 500 bucks, and to my great pleasure, the picture of the engine bay reflects... A ZE!

I get another tow dolly and run down to pick it up. They've got some extra hands to help push it up on the tow dolly so I set the dolly up. I'm guiding the guy behind the wheel (to line it up with the dolly) and three are pushing from the back. It goes up, up up!....

... AND OVER

So we get it jacked up and on some blocks:

And push it back on the tow dolly.

I drop it off at the guy's (mom's) house. Oh here's the truck I bought recently:

only to find I have NO WAY to get in the car anymore. The kid had shaved the door handles and the door popper doesn't work. So he put a wire on the trunk latch to prevent the trunk from closing, then crawled in a and opened the door from the inside. Well... THE TRUNK CLOSED.

The rear end already had some damage so I said what the heck.

I didn't want to break any glass or what not and risk making a mess, so I pried the trunk lid up a bit enough to get a wrench on the upper latch bolts, unbolted the latch itself then crawled in and opened up the car.

So here they set, ready for a transplant:

and some additional pictures of how the car currently sits:

Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Nice to see all the love in Mazda's :)
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”