odometer help..

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
zerialz
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

odometer help..

Post by zerialz »

What runs the odometer? Everything on my dash works except the odometer.. Just a few days ago it magically started working for 99 miles and died again.. My speedo works.. It's an mtx if that makes a difference.
zerialz
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: odometer help..

Post by zerialz »

Well the odometer is working again. I don't understand it.. It starts and stops when it wants to.. Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to fix it so I can build a regular maintenance schedule based on the mileage and not time, as well as track my fuel consumption..
davmac

Re: odometer help..

Post by davmac »

The sender is an electronic sensor in the transmission. It sends pulses. Pulses per unit of time is speed. Since each pulse is directly related to the turning of the cars wheels the same signal will be used to get distance. If your speedometer works then the odometer should work too. The problem must be in the instrument cluster. Something is gumming up the odometer mechanism or there is a broken connection in the cluster. Replacing the whole cluster is easy and will probably fix your issue. Maybe if you remove the cluster the problem will be evident and fixable.

If your problem was a working speedometer but not tachometer then at least each has a different sensor providing the signal. Your case is weird since it seems you are getting a good signal, but missing one of the outputs of that signal.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”