which way to go on new engine?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Re: which way to go on new engine?

Post by mx3_ryder »

Try a pipe on the end of your breaker bar.
JeffB
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by JeffB »

When I put use a breaker bar, with a jack stand under the wheel bolts to keep the wheel from turning, the leverage lifts up the car instead of turning the bolt. Suggestions welcome. Otherwise I guess I'll have to try removing the spindle from the strut.
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

Have someone stomp on the brakes while you safely step on the breaker bar with extension. You have safety glasses on, right?

And read my (and other's) tricks and tips:

http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=514586#p514586
1993 GS SE - "slow" (Stock) - SOLD
1993 GS SE - "fast" (Curved neck KLZE, OBX headers, custom 2.5" exhaust, KL36 ECU, Exedy Probe GT clutch, KL36 LSD - the real one, Lantis Type R lefthand halfshaft - unfortunately worth mentioning)- SOLD

1993 GS SE - acquired 4/28/2013, SOLD February 28, 2015

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I ordered this monster:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200382234
with a 3/4 drive 32mm socket

as well as a 4ft metal pole from Ace Hardware, with a diameter large enough to slip over the handle.

I previously had a 1/2in breaker bar from Harbor Freight... and after my 3rd one breaking with no luck... decided this was a good investment :)

I kept the tire on, lowered the car to the floor, put a brick in front and back of the rear tire so the car doesn't roll the direction I'm pulling on, then have at the axle bolt.
there were times I was convinced something was going to catastrophically break... but alls that happened is that satisfying metal clank as the axle bolt loosened up.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
davmac

Post by davmac »

Whoa! That 3/4" drive breaker bar from Northern Tools makes me want to stop there on my way home from work just to have one for my tool collection. It's nearly 4 ft. of leverage without any additional pipe. I usually resort to a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a 4 ft. pipe on it for the extra leverage - managed to break one breaker bar that way.

The best tip though is to do as SuperK suggests: put the wheel back on with the center cap off and lower it to the ground. Add brakes if needed. It will be much safer and effective if the car is on the ground to break the axle nut free.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

davmac, lemme tell ya, that breaker bar is fantastic. cost to convenience ratio is way in favor of convenience
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

FWIW, a $20 Craftsman 1/2" breaker bar and a 5' pipe of similar dimensions to the breaker(i.e. little wiggle room between the two) is sufficient for any job, assuming you weren't lazy enough to use an impact wrench to install axle nuts.

With enough leverage, you won't need to "bounce" the bar, and any QUALITY 1/2" breaker will be up to the task.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

SuperK, it's been nearly a year since I set out to replace the engine -- not that I've been working on it for all that time; until recently, the car sat and waited. Now the old engine is out, the KLZE is in, and we've run into a surprising snag: The old AC compressor doesn't bolt onto the new engine. I had figured on not having to unhook the AC (and avoid polluting the atmosphere with the freon, and then having to replace it). Am I doing something wrong? Or do I just have to suck it up again and swap in the new compressor for the old one and recharge the AC system?
I have to say, by the way: I should have taken you up on your offer, towed the car and the new engine down to Tennessee, and spent a weekend trying not to get in your way while we did the swap.
-- Jeff
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

We could've had a party at SuperK's house. My brother and I would towed ours over as well! Maybe someone should open a shop :mrgreen:

As for the cursed a/c systems in these k series, which are you referring to as old and new? And if I remember correctly, there is a bracket that goes on first? Any correction there?
93 MX3 SE (klze conversion in progress)
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
92 MX3 GS sold :( missed!
The very air around me seemed to catch fire and freeze at the same time, that's how I knew he had enough for today.
Rangers Lead The Way!
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

I have the AC compressor from the K8 engine, still hooked up to the AC system but unable to bolt onto the KLZE engine because the bolts don't line up with the holes.

Then I have the AC compressor that came with the KLZE, so of course the holes line up perfectly, but of course I'd rather not have to substitute it for the compressor that's already hooked up.
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

Ok :D there are a few options.

Number one: mill up a custom bracket. (coolest option. You'd have an uncommon mod)

Number two: swap compressors. If your k8 compressor is still attached to all the lines then yes, you'll have to properly drain/relieve/remove and replace and recharge (option I'd go with if my milling guy was out of town. Easiest option.)

Number three: remove all a/c parts and free those pony's belted to that pully :freak: Not my favorite. But... You know...
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
The very air around me seemed to catch fire and freeze at the same time, that's how I knew he had enough for today.
Rangers Lead The Way!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

you have to use the AC compressor from the K8. I am not sure why you're having issues with them lining up.
You may need to use the bracket off the K8 engine, but everything bolts up plug and play. no custom anything needed.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

The brackets! Yes, they look right. That should work. (In the waning light yesterday, I didn't even see that they were brackets instead of cast parts of the engine.)
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

Ahh... I was thinking he didn't have the k8 bracket. Sorry..
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
Rangers Lead The Way!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”