ANYONE CHANGE THE FILTER THEMSELVES?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
jrors
Supporting Member

ANYONE CHANGE THE FILTER THEMSELVES?

Post by jrors »

I'm asking this because I need to know the step by step process since this is my first time doing the filter and fluid change myself on my RS. So far, I have the pan off, but it seems as if a long bar that runs from front to back of the tranny is blocking me from putting the pan back in and I'm not certain if I should unbolt the entire bar as I believe it is supporting the tranny front to back.

Let me know guys and thanks again!
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Well, yesterday, I finally figured out the correct way to have easy access to taking off the tranny pan on my 1993 RS. So, if you have the same year and model, (I'm not certain if this applies to the later models) this is what you should do.

1) Have your car on either ramps or jackstands...( I used ramps). Make sure car is in Park and with the emergency brake on and place a log, rock or something similiar behind the cars rear wheels just incase car rolls back. (It shouldn't at this point, but I did this as a additional safety measure).

2) Slide underneath car from the front and you will notice a long black beam that has 2 large bolts right at the front, and then look a little further down the beam, and you will notice 2 slightly smaller bolts. Once you have taken notice of the above bolts I have mentioned above, look a little further down the same black beam and you will notice it has a "cut out" where you can see the bottom of your automatic transmission. Now as you can tell while observing the bottom of your transmission, it appears to be curved with a few grooves here and there, at this point, use a jack stand as a safety measure and raise it up to the transmission as close as you can on the curved and grooved area as a support measure for the next step coming up (MAKE SURE TO DO THIS... I know it may be a unnecessary safety meassure for some of you, but this is what I did).

3) Now, use a breaker bar (untill it becomes easy without it) to unscrew the 2 "smaller bolts" I mentioned above and once you have those 2 out, use the breaker bar (untill it becomes easy without it) to unscrew the 2 "larger bolts" I mentioned above. It's very important to do this in the way I just mentioned because those 2 "smaller bolts" are connected to the tranny above and they "MUST" come out before you take out the "larger bolts". Also make sure to use the right socket sizes in conjunction with the breaker bar so you do not strip the bolts. The 2 "larger bolts" use a 17 mm and I forgot what size the 2 "smaller bolts" use.

After that, pull down on the black beam a little and you will now have full access to taking all the bolts off the pan so you can start the draining process and replace the gasket and filter while you're at it and those filter bolts as well as the pans are a 10mm size.

PLEASE NOTE....Once you are ready to reinstall the pan, hand tighten the bolts first, then tighten them up with the 10 mm socket just a little. If you tighten the bolts all the way, you could strip them and also damage the new gasket you put on and even worse, you could have leaks that could ruin your tranny if it leaks out. So, just check for leaks once you have fluid again in the transmission.

Also, once you have the pan back on, put the 2 "smaller bolts" on first, then the 2"larger bolts" on after that.

This is a very easy process which takes anywhere from 30 minutes to a hour and it could save you at least $50 by just doing this yourself. All you need to buy is tranny fluid, the proper tools if you don't have them and of course the filter and gasket. And do not forget to check your fluid level when you have the engine running in Park.

I really hope this helps out my fellow automatic transmission MXers because this step alone when done at least every 2 to 3 months can greatly add to the life of you tranny and not just that, hopefully it can save you from the hassle of having your baby down and out!

Also, I encourage all to add to this if you think it can help out the process even more.

J[/b]
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Cool man.. but did it solve your erratic shifting issues? Also changing out your tranny filter every 2-3 months is a bit excessive.. once a year should be fine. :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Hey Tunes67!

Nope, the tranny is gone. I tried it out after I was done and it never made it to 2nd gear. :( The crazy thing about this whole matter is that I had just a little over 4100 miles on her and when I took a look at the tranny fluid a few weeks ago, it was red but when it went out, it was brownish black. Now, I had a cooler on and it still got fried. LOL It's something else, I really don't know what else to say about it. I'm not going to get her rebuilt and I'm not getting a new one, so, if I don't get your tranny Tunes, I'll just go to car-parts.com again. I love my baby, and I'm not giving her up! :lol:

OH! On a very very funny note though.........

Ok, so when she went out on me after I changed the fluid and filter, I had to push her off in a ditch on the side off the road to not block traffic, so, I called for a tow, and in the process, a state trooper pulls up because someone called 911 I guess and told them I was in a car accident! So, after he comes, a ambulance comes....then a fire truck!! HA HA!! I wish you all could've seen this circus! So, it gets even crazier fellas! Ok, so the tow truck finally makes it and what do you know? When the guy in the tow truck pulls my car out from the ditch from behind........ he tries to do a U turn and then his a-- end of the tow truck get stuck in the ditch!......soooo the fire truck had to come over with a chain to pull the tow truck out that was only here to get my little red lady out!!

Man I wish I would've had a camera! That was priceless!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Wish it had worked out better for you man.. couple of things I would check before you install your next trans.. blow out your tranny coolant lines and make sure one isnt plugged up.. also.. make sure the cooler in the radiator isnt plugged.. assuming your add on tranny cooler is new.. it should be fine.

As for getting my tranny.. that could happen depending on how patient you are willing to be. I only plan to price it at like $150 US + shipping. But.. I also plan to take it to a shop and make sure its decent before I sell it (I wont sell crap) But before any of that can happen.. I need to get my truck back on the road and I need to gather up all the parts for my swap to the MTX. It could be 2-3 months before all of this finishes happening. Also you will need to check and see if there is a difference between the ATX trans from a 94 to your 93. I wouldnt think there is a difference.. but since you have the SOHC engine and I have the DOHC engine.. maybe there is a difference in the ATX's they used as well. Sorry this happened to you.. but maybe it will all work out in the end anyway. Best of luck man.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

I'll check on up on what you said Tunes67 and it does suck but, I can't have good days everyday and at least I still have my health.... and hey, my babe will be up in no time. I'll check the tranny lines when I get the install done, I was thinking the same thing as well.
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Hi guys. Just wanted to know if any of you auto MXers have had the chance to do your transmision fluid and filter change by reading the step by step process I had writen up here some months ago.

I know if you have a 1993 RS Auto it will work, but I regret to say that I am uncertain if it will or will not work for any other year.

Have a good day guys.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I know this thread is kinda old now.. but I also did a write up with pics on how to change the ATX filter in a 94 DOHC RS car.. here is a link to that FAQ.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=53360

Cheers

Tunes67

jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Right on Tunes!
kevsickass

Re: ANYONE CHANGE THE FILTER THEMSELVES?

Post by kevsickass »

When I clicked Tunes67 link

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=53360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got "Page Not Found" , But i think the link is correct, anyways you can find this posted in the

"4-Cyl. FAQ" section in the middle of the page, thanks for the write up and pic's Tunes

.......maybe/probably most already knew this but I had to search for it
projectB10
Supporting Member

Re:

Post by projectB10 »

Tunes67 wrote:I know this thread is kinda old now.. but I also did a write up with pics on how to change the ATX filter in a 94 DOHC RS car.. here is a link to that FAQ.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=53360

Cheers

Tunes67
Broken Link updated

viewtopic.php?t=53360
Eunos Presso HI-XS, KLZE, KL47 IM+TB, MX6 LSD box OEM front s/bar, Outlaw IM+TB thermalbloks, lightened K801 fly, XTD Stage 3 clutch & cover balanced to f/wheel, mbolin tranny saver , short shifter, SRD shifter bushings- H&R Springs and Koni inserts, MSpeed engine mounts, SS brake and clutch lines, PRM CAI, Whiteline rear strut and swaybar, 7x17 Konig/Maxxim Fourteen rims, and stuff.

Return to “Transmissions”