ProjectB10 - 1993 Eunos Presso HI-XS

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
projectB10
Supporting Member

Re: ProjectB10 - 1993 Eunos Presso HI-XS Special Edition

Post by projectB10 »

Didn't know Presso's came without an armrest.
This is going to sound a bit like "train spotting"

As far as I can work out the Eunos Presso (well at least the May 1991 to September 1993 E-EC8SE model) was offered for sale in three "grades" in Japan;
The base model Hi-X, an intermediate grade model Fi-X and the top of the line Fi-X SV. There seems to be other sub options...but those are the three basic grades. I like the Hi-XS model as it is the options "free" version (none of "heavy" things such as a sunroof or complicated audio setup that detract from what I use the car for) but includes bits like fog lights etc.

The Fi-X SV came will all the "options" as standard features; eg Partial leather seats, Sunroof, ABS, LSD in the MT model, Climate air, integrated Audio Radio, Tape, AUX and Rear mounted CD cassette changer etc.

There were a host of other small consequential differences as well...including the number of audio speakers installed around the car (eg 4 in the rear cargo area alone); the trim in the rear cargo area, the centre console/armrest and so on. The following pictures show the Fi-X SV centre console/armrest setup (ignore the cloth seats...the partial leather seats have been swapped out of this particular Fi-X SV).

Compare that with the no frills Hi-XS set up shown in my earlier posts. The hand brake trim surround that supports the centre console/armrest/cup holder arrangement is very different. The parts I fitted are taken from the Eunos 100 model (BG model Astina 323 in other markets). You cant swap over just the Fi-X SV centre console/armrest/cup holder tosay the Hi-XS without also changing the handbrake surround trim (there is a height difference and the ashtray is set up differently).
Eunos Presso HI-XS, KLZE, KL47 IM+TB, MX6 LSD box OEM front s/bar, Outlaw IM+TB thermalbloks, lightened K801 fly, XTD Stage 3 clutch & cover balanced to f/wheel, mbolin tranny saver , short shifter, SRD shifter bushings- H&R Springs and Koni inserts, MSpeed engine mounts, SS brake and clutch lines, PRM CAI, Whiteline rear strut and swaybar, 7x17 Konig/Maxxim Fourteen rims, and stuff.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

projectB10 wrote:Image

Compare that with the no frills Hi-XS set up shown in my earlier posts. The hand brake trim surround that supports the centre console/armrest/cup holder arrangement is very different. The parts I fitted are taken from the Eunos 100 model (BG model Astina 323 in other markets). You cant swap over just the Fi-X SV centre console/armrest/cup holder tosay the Hi-XS without also changing the handbrake surround trim (there is a height difference and the ashtray is set up differently).
Wow, I never know! That's the standard center console on North American Mx-3's, but the extra "double-stacked" section was an option and it a rare and sought after item.
Man that is so weird...What does the center console section look originally?

After all these years I'm still learning new stuff about the Mx-3...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

nice and clean i like the shifter looks good and functional.
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Very nice, I might have to acquire one of these for my Presso 8)

What seats are those?
projectB10
Supporting Member

Post by projectB10 »

Mooneggs wrote: What seats are those?
They are taken from a BG series Mazda Familia Infini. Almost, but not quite, a direct bolt in. Had to fabricate new rear inner mounting brackets.

a quick copy from wikipedia ......

"Familia Infini
The Mazda Familia Infini was produced from 1989 to 1990 as a special Japan only special sport trim line of the four-door Familia... Much of the Infini trim is similar to the American LX version, equipped with the 1.8 DOHC BP-ZE engine and 5-speed manual. The Infini was upgraded with a viscous limited slip differential, tightened suspension package, and bonnet/headlight style similar to the 323 hatchbacks. In 1994, these were facelifts were adopted to all Familia sedan models. The Infini came only in dark green color with unique Infini trim grille, rear spoiler, "lightweight" carpet, without sound deadener, and with Infini (∞) logos on horn button, front grille, wheel caps, and bootlid. There were also unique factory front clear indicators, a Momo steering wheel, BBS 15" rims, suede interior with GTX style seat trim, leather gearboot & knob, front and rear strut braces, 22 mm sway bars front and rear, rear tie bar, a 7,100 rpm redline tachometer, as well as 250 mm four-wheel disc brakes. Around 1,000 Infinis were produced."
Eunos Presso HI-XS, KLZE, KL47 IM+TB, MX6 LSD box OEM front s/bar, Outlaw IM+TB thermalbloks, lightened K801 fly, XTD Stage 3 clutch & cover balanced to f/wheel, mbolin tranny saver , short shifter, SRD shifter bushings- H&R Springs and Koni inserts, MSpeed engine mounts, SS brake and clutch lines, PRM CAI, Whiteline rear strut and swaybar, 7x17 Konig/Maxxim Fourteen rims, and stuff.
projectB10
Supporting Member

Follow up - LCA rear Bushings upgrade

Post by projectB10 »

Quick pictorial follow up to the earlier Worklog post. Installed the SuperPro SPF2417K double offset 46mm "shell" parts into 2 rear LCA fittings. Also pictures of the SuperPro SPK2415K zero offset 46mm shell parts that I had originally purchased to use for the upgrade.

They will be used for the other Eunos Presso that will be built up as "Track Day" car...I will either start up another Worklog for that one or maybe just expand this one to include it.

I have also gathered up replacement poly bushes sets (1 x SuperPro for the rear and 1 x WhiteBishop for the front) to a Mazda Lantis rear trailing arms for use on that car.
projectB10
Supporting Member

Re: Follow up - LCA rear Bushings upgrade

Post by projectB10 »

projectB10 wrote: They will be used for the other Eunos Presso that will be built up as "Track Day" car...I will either start up another Worklog for that one or maybe just expand this one to include it.
here it is... 1993 Eunos Presso 127K kms auto .....its an odd Jap model to place actually ....partial tan leather interior with auto transaxle...but base in every other respect.. no sun roof, no ABS, no fog lights, no audio, no front strut bar etc.
White_93_MX3

Post by White_93_MX3 »

Nice looking car, seems you have done quite a bit and im sure to come as any enthuisiest knows....a project is never done haha.
cant wait to see what else you have planned for it
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

Lookin good. I was just asking about these front LCA bushings on the FB page the other day too lol :D
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
projectB10
Supporting Member

Post by projectB10 »

Started to make a few changes to plain Jane...with a rear strut bar in prospect....struggling to find the time to play with this one.
mars
antispam: No

Post by mars »

can you please explain to me quickly the interest of double offset ? i'm not quite sure to understand the superpro website page you've given ! my english is not good enough :oops:
i'm having a look to ugrade my chassis, particulary bushings ; but i don't know if standard specifications could be enough for the use i'd like ! (daily use + occasional track day) :wink:
projectB10
Supporting Member

Post by projectB10 »

mars wrote:can you please explain to me quickly the interest of double offset ? i'm not quite sure to understand the superpro website page you've given ! my english is not good enough :oops:
i'm having a look to ugrade my chassis, particulary bushings ; but i don't know if standard specifications could be enough for the use i'd like ! (daily use + occasional track day) :wink:
Hi Mars... the following is taken from the Knowledgebase section of the Aussie SuperPro website

Caster and what does it mean where the SuperPro catalogue mentions notes like the following ;
•2 x Offset bushing for caster adjust
•1 x Standard bushing & 1 x Offset bushing kit
•Standard replacement kit

I have studied this angle and its effects on driving and handling in a vehicle over the years and a quick search on Wikipedia gives us a definition and the words from the definition - ‘’car racers sometimes adjust caster angle to optimize handling characteristics in particular driving situations’’. I think this pretty well sums up my reason for an interest in this angle.

Caster angle is the angular displacement from the vertical axis of the suspension of a steered wheel in a car, bicycle or other vehicle, measured in the longitudinal direction. It is the angle between the pivot line (in a car - an imaginary line that runs through the center of the upper ball joint to the center of the lower ball joint) and vertical. Car racers sometimes adjust caster angle to optimize their car's handling characteristics in particular driving situations.

In Figure 1, θ is the caster angle, red line is the pivot line, grey area is the tire. A positive caster angle is shown with the front of the vehicle being to the left. (Wikipedia)

SuperPro origins were born out of vehicles that were not a pleasure to drive due to caster differences. These were commonly known as a ‘’pull to the left ‘’cars. Manufacturers tend to build in preset alignment specifications and in many vehicles caster adjustment was simply not offered on an original vehicle suspension system.

When wheel-aligning a car, I always went to great lengths to correct the caster on a vehicle where possible, however this was not possible that often. As a young wheel alignment mechanic, I knew motor sport offered all sorts of suspension angle adjustment so why not offer some to my customers. So, in 1987 the first SuperPro bushing were born, tested and sucessfully starting the large range we now have available.

What does an incorrect caster angle mean;

To all motorists;
•Unpleasant handling, vehicle veers to one side of the road unless continually corrected by the driver.
•Tyre wear, is dramatically increased due to steering correction, means extra costs.
•In correct angles can give heavy or light steering.

To enthusiast motorists;
•optimizing this angle gives improved handling and tyre grip.

To the wheel alignment technician;
•an angle that can be adjusted to assist many handling options however the most obvious is;
•to create a caster offset to negate the steering pull caused by the camber of the road.

The SuperPro bushings offer the technician three options for wheel aligning.

Standard replacement kit;

This kit contains two replacement SuperPro bushings, designed with a minimum of noise vibration harshness. SuperPro design innovation helps to get a part with a long service life while delivering improved and positive handling and control.

1 x Standard bushing & 1 x Offset bushing kit;

A kit with one replacement bushing and one eccentric bushing, both with SuperPro design innovation. This allows the alignment technician to increase caster on one side of a vehicle and keep the other side standard.

2 x Offset bushing kit for caster adjust;

This kit offers the alignment technician extra adjustment to change caster on both sides of the vehicle. Or, allowing the enthusiast driver to have an increase in caster on both sides of the vehicle for better performance on the track or for club motorsport work.

Today I delivered an X6 BMW to its owner, normal problem on arrival to our workshop, pulls left and having uneven tyre wear. A SuperPro caster correction kit was fitted and the car was in my ‘’different car to drive’’ zone. The steering had feel, the vehicle tracked straight and I know this customer will get a long tyre service life.
projectB10
Supporting Member

Post by projectB10 »

This extract from the fitting instructions might help you as well. It puts the use of the various bushings into the context as fitted to support and locate the rear of the LCA. Please take into account that this SuperPro instruction guidance is all written from the point of view of cars built for a RHD road user environment..... that means a motor vehicle that by default pulls to the left hand side of the road and also reflecting typical road surface camber matched to a road centre line.
mars
antispam: No

Post by mars »

So nice of you.
Gonna learn and see on the car.
Thanks
projectB10
Supporting Member

Re: Follow up - LCA rear Bushings upgrade

Post by projectB10 »

projectB10 wrote: here it is... 1993 Eunos Presso 127K kms auto .....its an odd Jap model to place actually ....partial tan leather interior with auto transaxle...but base in every other respect.. no sun roof, no ABS, no fog lights, no audio, no front strut bar etc.
Bit more research on the red one - taken from a Japanese language EUNOS Presso brochure from about 1991.
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1036 ... an0044.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1036 ... an0045.jpg

Looks like the red one is a base Hi-X with an ATX option. Steel rims with seats in the partial tan leather with orange inserts combo.
Couple of JDM OEM door stickers...one from one of mine (an Hi-XS and the other from another car Fi-XSV(not mine)

so the E018-112 is the model spec for a Hi-XS while E022-21A is the model spec for Fi-XSV?? regardless the VIN numbers are very close.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”