more kl swap questions...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: more kl swap questions...

Post by SuperK »

OK so #1 still needs to be capped.
#2 is your FPR (fuel pressure regulator, for furture reference).
The vacuum line HAS to go to a solenoid (they look like the VRIS solenoids), The vacuum line will come out of the intake where I said NO, to the solenoid, then FROM the solenoid to the FPR.
#3 is the intake fuel line, you can use the stock fuel line from the fuel filter and run it directly to this end and remove all the rest that's mounted on the engine right now.
#4 is the return fuel line, you can use the stock fuel line from the firewall and run it directly to this end and remove all the rest that's mounted on the engine right now.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

the blue taped vacuum line you can plug into where #1 is located here:

and you can remove #2 completely as well as the brackets there.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
icajewler
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by icajewler »

I hope that's not actual size at the bottom of the first picture :lol: So if I'm understanding you correctly, the blue tape line goes to the tube that attaches to the nipple on top of the TB and I get rid of the whole thing thats attched to it now because there is already one of those on the firewall. And then I run the fpr line to the solenoid and cap the nipple on the intake? Or run that nipple to the solenoid on the firewall and cap the one on top of the TB? And then run one from the solenoid to the fpr?

Sorry for being so confusing. I didn't know too much about engines four months ago and I really wanted to learn and the mx3 is my dream car, so I bought one and decided to learn on my feet. I don't like feeling dumb... And that's how I feel :| but, i don't like moving on till I fully understand what I'm doing (biochemistry major kicking in there) So thanks for helping me out! A lot!
93 MX3 SE (klze conversion in progress)
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
92 MX3 GS sold :( missed!
The very air around me seemed to catch fire and freeze at the same time, that's how I knew he had enough for today.
Rangers Lead The Way!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

OK so #1 you can see coming from the solenoid on the firewall to the nipple on the throttle body/intake area. Replicate that.
#2 is the line that goes from the solenoid to the charcoal canister on the passengerside.

#3 is the nipple from the intake manifold that you have currently running directly to the FPR. Run that line instead to the solenoid highlighted #4, then from that solenoid, it will go to the FPR which is highlighted in purple.

In this picture you can see I have X'ed out the Y vacuum connector because you don't need that if you're not running EGR. #6 and 7 are the EGR solenoids which do not exist on your KL engine.
If you are NOT using EGR, you eliminate 6 and 7 as well as that T.
If you ARE using EGR you will need to convert your K8 EGR to this engine and actually use the layout for #6 and 7
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

That makes perfect sense :D I will do that as soon as I get home. Thanks for teaching me this system. Now that it's laid out like that, its too easy to understand. And no I will not be doing the EGR. I've got a guy on the Penske Indy car racing team that will do a custom exhaust and then send my car to be tuned by a guy he knows will get it perfect. He's like an OBD I master from what I hear
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
The very air around me seemed to catch fire and freeze at the same time, that's how I knew he had enough for today.
Rangers Lead The Way!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I also didn't see the breather tube from the rear valve cover connected in any of those pictures. You may need to use the one that came with the K8 if it's missing from this engine.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

You can see it in this one I took. That's a memorable one. Hard to forget something that pisses you off every time you have to mess with it
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
Rangers Lead The Way!
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

You can also see my Elantra in the background :) my brother decided to back into it with a 15 passenger diesel powerstroke. So I dropped my last three days into this engine swap. The parts for the Elantra come in Tuesday, but then my time to work on it disappears. I might be only 21, but my wife and two daughters still need supporting :P
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
Rangers Lead The Way!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Do I see the EGR port on the cylinder head open? I can't tell if you have a blockoff plate or if the hole is open.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

Are you talking about the hole looking thing at the lower left of the cylinder head? I am actually unsure I'd its capped or not. I think it is and my phone just takes bad pictures. But I'll check as soon as i get home in an hour
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
Rangers Lead The Way!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

yes, I can see the two bolts on the block but it doesn't look like a plate is covering the hole. It SHOULD have one there. If not, they're cheap and easy to find a egr blockoff plate for a ford probe gt
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

I'm also pretty crafty with the metals :welder: I could wip up a cap in a few seconds. Our shop is full of scrap
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
Rangers Lead The Way!
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

The orange on is on the firewall and the green one I don't have unless I use the one I took off that is was the red box of the picture below it with my daughter photo-bombing and my egr cap negative carbon on blue tape :freak:

And here is one I didn't edit so you can draw on it if you want to. I tried to capture all of the existing nipples in one picture
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
Rangers Lead The Way!
icajewler

Post by icajewler »

I found the green one still attached to the k8 and it has three nipples on it. Do I just cap one?
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
Rangers Lead The Way!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Your K8 should have a solenoid on the FPR. You can use that.

There are two different style solenoid harnesses. You have one for the EGR and charcoal canister/vent, and you have one for the VRIS/FPR. The EGR/Vent solenoid have oval harness ends. The VRIS/FPR solenoids are square.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”