Automatic Seat Belt Recall

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
gjogil
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Automatic Seat Belt Recall

Post by gjogil »

I'm curious to know if anyone has had recent luck in having a dealership service the recalled automatic seat belts? I've read a few accounts that say it's a laughable request but that Mazda will still order the service if you prod the issue enough. I'm looking to replace my drivers side and passenger side seat belt mechanism and would like to know if I should just go ahead and start the manual conversion.

Thanks!
kulluminati777

Re: Automatic Seat Belt Recall

Post by kulluminati777 »

yeah im sure they will replace the seat belts. I mean its a life time recall and its a safety issue that was denied to be fixed and you got into a (god forbid) serious accident you could sue mazda and get millions. The auto belts are just annoying period like if you cant reach a ticket dispenser at a parking garage or just have to open the door real quick and stick your head out and forget there is autobelts (happened to me 10000´s of times) the belt latch comes forward and smacks you in the back of the head . I hated that. Also the annoy chime. I mean i can go on for threads how stupid the belts are. When you do the manual swap you just feel safer lol. I never put on the lap belt because i would forget that too maybe thats why. Also the manual belts weigh like 15 20 pounds less so thats just a step towards better MPG.
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
gjogil

Post by gjogil »

kulluminati777 wrote:yeah im sure they will replace the seat belts. I mean its a life time recall and its a safety issue that was denied to be fixed and you got into a (god forbid) serious accident you could sue mazda and get millions. The auto belts are just annoying period like if you cant reach a ticket dispenser at a parking garage or just have to open the door real quick and stick your head out and forget there is autobelts (happened to me 10000´s of times) the belt latch comes forward and smacks you in the back of the head . I hated that. Also the annoy chime. I mean i can go on for threads how stupid the belts are. When you do the manual swap you just feel safer lol. I never put on the lap belt because i would forget that too maybe thats why. Also the manual belts weigh like 15 20 pounds less so thats just a step towards better MPG.
I can definitely see that they are annoying. At this point, I don't have a working anything on the driver's side so I need something. Can someone point me in the right direction of what I need to be looking for as I gather parts for the manual conversion?

From what I've scoured and picked up through the searches, the U.S. cars are the only models with the auto belts. The A-Pillars trim needs to be swapped for the manual points of attachment. Do the seats need to be swapped too for the actual buckle? Can you use parts from the rear seat belts to pull off the conversion?
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

no no rear belts. You can use the same seats the buckles just bolt right up. Your best bet would be to go to a pick and pull and find a newer MX3 and get everything you need yourself. R+L belts and everything attached. The R+L B pillar covers the a pillar covers the buckles off the seat. You could also grab the center console but you dont NEED it. It would just be something for looks. Oh and the head liner BUT i have heard of people just redoing the headliner and stretching the fabric over the gap the autobelts leave. The great thing about getting it yourself from a scrap yard is you see how its hooked up, you get it for cheap with no shipping costs, and you get every single piece and if you forget something you can go back and get it. Like getting a manual belt head liner shipped to you is tough. Its a large box it has to go in which doesnt weigh much but im sure the measurements drive the price up. But as far as everything bolting up to your car it all fits like a glove.
gjogil

Post by gjogil »

kulluminati777 wrote:no no rear belts. You can use the same seats the buckles just bolt right up. Your best bet would be to go to a pick and pull and find a newer MX3 and get everything you need yourself. R+L belts and everything attached. The R+L B pillar covers the a pillar covers the buckles off the seat. You could also grab the center console but you dont NEED it. It would just be something for looks. Oh and the head liner BUT i have heard of people just redoing the headliner and stretching the fabric over the gap the autobelts leave. The great thing about getting it yourself from a scrap yard is you see how its hooked up, you get it for cheap with no shipping costs, and you get every single piece and if you forget something you can go back and get it. Like getting a manual belt head liner shipped to you is tough. Its a large box it has to go in which doesnt weigh much but im sure the measurements drive the price up. But as far as everything bolting up to your car it all fits like a glove.
Thanks for the info!
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I havent drove my MX3 in years. I miss the auto seatbelts :(
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

I had my drivers seatbelt fixed last year at my local dealership no questions asked. If you don't go manual.
Kakarot 135
gjogil

Post by gjogil »

kakarot135 wrote:I had my drivers seatbelt fixed last year at my local dealership no questions asked. If you don't go manual.
What's the truth on the "lifetime" recall? I contacted my nearest dealer and they were able to provide documentation that my car had been serviced for this particular recall and that the status for it was "closed." Any chance I have an argument for it to fixed again? Driver's side is shot but the passenger side works.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

If they showed you proof of when it was fixed. Like the date. What technician fixed it. Who brought it in to have it fixed. then thats it. If they couldnt then they didn't do it. But it is a one time deal not the life of your car. If it was already fixed than it was fixed and thats it. I mean those POS belts dont last forever even with the new improved design they came up with something mechanical like that will eventually fail. Its just a matter of when. Could of been the day after they replaced it or 20 years later.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/72803.pdf
(see page 4)

I think that should be saved and posted in the seatbelt recall page.
WARRANTY EXTENTION
[Recall 72803 - Automatic Shoulder Belt ]
The warranty coverage for the automatic shoulder belt rail and motor on subject vehicles has been
extended over the lifetime of the vehicle.
APPLICABLE PARTS FOR LIFETIME WARRANTY.
[Recall 72803 - Automatic Shoulder Belt]
Use Process Number A8114J for Lifetime Warranty
etc, etc
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
gjogil

Post by gjogil »

Ok. now i have two conflicting ways to interpret "lifetime." There's lifetime of car versus lifetime recall, until fixed. Has anyone had the repair done twice?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

A recall is always "until fixed". It's typically a safety issue that the government mandates and once a recall has been issued, they cannot stop it. Like for the spring recall on the Mx-3, that's only once, but if you come in and the car is 20 years old and it's never been done, you have the right to have it done, but they'll do it once, cause once that one is fixed, it's been resolved with not only replacing the broken spring, but they've also put in measures for it to not happen again, so the recall no longer applies afterwards because they put in a preventative measure, even if it does break again.

Seatbelts I could see being strongly enforced, it's a serious safety issue for the repeating failure of the seatbelt system and needs to be maintained because it's a manufactureres design defect/flaw and need to be maintained by the OEM. Even by law (depending on where you live) it seems to be where it would be illegal to do a manual belt conversion because that's not what's offered or made available for that car for those years, despite that it's OEM, so it forces Mazda to keep that system in functioning order for the safety of it's occupents.

Aftermarket belts do exist, but there's so much at stake in terms of liabiliy that I doubt they would want to touch that. Here's a good one
Disclaimer. Please read: This product is sold without warranty expressed or implied. No warranty or representation is made as to the product's ability to protect the user from any injury or death in any manner of use. The user assumes that risk. The effectiveness of this equipment is directly related to the manner in which it is installed, used, and/or maintained. Proper installation is solely the responsibility of the installer, and will not be assumed by Wesco Performance Inc.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

Been through this on 3 different cars.

First, despite the wording, ONLY the seat belt track/motor assembly and integrated limit switches are covered. Period. Look here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... 211-NN.PDF

There was a 12 year warranty added to the door switch inside the door lock assembly as this probably had issues also that prevented sliding the track forward when you open the door and sliding it back when the door closes. Since 1993 + 12 = 2005, we are done with that. Lookee here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... 039-NN.PDF

The first car never had a problem but the recall had already been done.

The second car didn't work quite right and I brought it in fresh from a KLZE swap and with NO exhaust. The techs loved it. Because the car did not have the recall done I got new seat tracks and motor assemblies - right and left.

The third car has an issue with a worn position sensor that is in the center console. The beeping was incessant. I fixed it - sort of - there are other posts of a good repair but this is NOT covered by the recall. See here for what I did:

http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=629208#p629208

Unrelated, I replaced the seat belt track due to a stalled motor, but did the work myself thanks to a fellow member here.

I think I have the entire repair procedure somewhere. It only talks about replacing the seat belt track and motor assembly.
1993 GS SE - "slow" (Stock) - SOLD
1993 GS SE - "fast" (Curved neck KLZE, OBX headers, custom 2.5" exhaust, KL36 ECU, Exedy Probe GT clutch, KL36 LSD - the real one, Lantis Type R lefthand halfshaft - unfortunately worth mentioning)- SOLD

1993 GS SE - acquired 4/28/2013, SOLD February 28, 2015

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

My drivers side belt had been replaced under the warranty before I'd bought the car. The technicians who did it placed a sticker in the doorframe showing it had been done. But, I was having problems a year or two back and took it it. The manager tried to fight me until I brought in a printed copy of the recall. I'd highlighted all the important stuff, and he got a little pissy with me... but he did it. I've heard of people calling corporate on the dealerships if they really give you problems. I'm sure I could have just taken it to any of the other Mazda dealerships and probably found someone more willing.

And the chime issue http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=81575
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

Demonic1 > :2thumbsup:
1993 GS SE - "slow" (Stock) - SOLD
1993 GS SE - "fast" (Curved neck KLZE, OBX headers, custom 2.5" exhaust, KL36 ECU, Exedy Probe GT clutch, KL36 LSD - the real one, Lantis Type R lefthand halfshaft - unfortunately worth mentioning)- SOLD

1993 GS SE - acquired 4/28/2013, SOLD February 28, 2015

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”