I Didnt Know I Was Heal-Toe Shifting

Off-Topic Discussions
posey92
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

I Didnt Know I Was Heal-Toe Shifting

Post by posey92 »

So I taught myself how to drive manual for the part. My father tried to show me on his '67 Chevell with at 4 speed and 454 Big block..He had the bench seats in it and I was very short so it didnt work well lol. I messed the first shift so he drove from there...a few years later I on a whim went to buy an Evo left with an 07 Eclipse Spyder. The guy that took me for the test drive gave me a quick run down how to drive a stick and I drove it home...rough for a while but got the hang of it. After a while I got comfortable and hTe driving autos now. But I noticed shifting and down shifting were easier if I bumped the throttle before a shift up or down. And I guess thats heel toe...well thats it...
Blue Demon

Re: I Didnt Know I Was Heal-Toe Shifting

Post by Blue Demon »

I thought heel toeing involves operating the throttle and brake pedals simultaneously with the right foot, while facilitating normal activation of the clutch with the left foot and used when braking and downshifting simultaneously (prior to entering a turn), and allows the driver to "blip" the throttle to raise the engine speed and smoothly engage the lower gear.
icajewler
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: I Didnt Know I Was Heal-Toe Shifting

Post by icajewler »

Blue Demon wrote:I thought heel toeing involves operating the throttle and brake pedals simultaneously with the right foot, while facilitating normal activation of the clutch with the left foot and used when braking and downshifting simultaneously (prior to entering a turn), and allows the driver to "blip" the throttle to raise the engine speed and smoothly engage the lower gear.
Very well put! It takes skill to explain such a simple complexity such as proper heal-toe shifting. I must say, well done! Even included some experienced technique in there =] Maybe some day other daily drivers will understand the difference as well as you've explained this single aspect of many important cornering methods. If only they 'trained' for average dirvers ed instead of instilling improper habits and poor technique. Ahhh..... a rally drivers dream...
93 MX3 SE (klze conversion in progress)
03 Elantra GLS (DD)
92 MX3 GS sold :( missed!
The very air around me seemed to catch fire and freeze at the same time, that's how I knew he had enough for today.
Rangers Lead The Way!

Return to “Off-Topic”