KLZE bottom with a KF-DE intake manifold

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Lori Carlyle
antispam: No

KLZE bottom with a KF-DE intake manifold

Post by Lori Carlyle »

hey guys,

I'm in the middle of a KLZE swap and due to some really bloody bad purchases and events, I've only got a KF-DE intake manifold

Everything else is from the KLZE, Cams, TB, ecu ect ect.

Will it bolt directly on and will it work? and what kind of HP will I get until I can get another IM. (yes, I know that's an very wide margin for people to guess but as long as it runs I don't care at this point!)
Last edited by Lori Carlyle on August 24th, 2013, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of the UK MX3 site.
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: KLZE bottom with a KF-DE Inlet Manifold.

Post by RobMinhas »

Inlet manifold is intake manifold right?

You'd probably want to make sure you have ze/de injectors and AFAIK it will not up since the KF is quite similar to the k8/kls
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
Lori Carlyle

Re: KLZE bottom with a KF-DE Inlet Manifold.

Post by Lori Carlyle »

Yeah, sorry, Intake Manifold.

I've got the fuel rails and injectors from the KLZE so that's not a problem.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: KLZE bottom with a KF-DE intake manifold

Post by MrMazda92 »

So long as the ports are matched it won't be an issue, as you have resolved the injector difference from the get-go! :2thumbsup:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Lori Carlyle

Post by Lori Carlyle »

MrMazda92 wrote:So long as the ports are matched it won't be an issue, as you have resolved the injector difference from the get-go! :2thumbsup:

Hang on... so if I just drop the KLZE Fuel rails onto the KFDE Intake Mani, it will work?
RobMinhas
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by RobMinhas »

I don't think the fuel rails will match, you'd have to use the KF fuel rail and the KL injectors.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

With exception to the KJ setup(injectors aside), every K series intake can be mix-n-matched.

If the ports are D shaped, it will work relatively well(assuming the VRIS points aren't off by too far, or you have it tied open/removed).

If the ports are oval shaped, it will function as a KL01 intake on a KL31 set of heads would.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Lori Carlyle

Post by Lori Carlyle »

The ports are mismatched, I should with some luck be getting the missing parts for the correct Manifold from a member on here. Saves a lot of hassle.

Thanks for the input gents. /Tipshat.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The runners are narrower on a KF IM, you'll be restricting airflow, so you'll lose power, but it will work.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Internally or externally narrower?
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Both. You should be able to see and compare the runners on the KF will look (externally) almost as narrow as a K8, or really, it'll look like a K8 straight neck.

Internally it should be a lot narrower as well unless the walls are super thin, but it's no different than the ports matching from a K8 IM on a DE but the IM runners being more restrictive.

Even with the mis-matched runners, it was reported that where were gained when putting on a ZE IM on a DE
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Both. You should be able to see and compare the runners on the KF will look (externally) almost as narrow as a K8, or really, it'll look like a K8 straight neck.

Internally it should be a lot narrower as well unless the walls are super thin, but it's no different than the ports matching from a K8 IM on a DE but the IM runners being more restrictive.

Even with the mis-matched runners, it was reported that where were gained when putting on a ZE IM on a DE
True story^^^

The KF IM is a little better than the K8 IM for the reason Nd4SpdSe said. It is an upgrade for a K8 motor for sure, but on the DE one will more than likely loose a little bit, but it will work for sure.

I would run the IM until you can source another, it will not be that bad. You could always port match it but if you plan on sourcing a proper IM then it may not be worth it.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”