Replacing camshaft seals

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Replacing camshaft seals

Post by mitmaks »

Do I have to remove camshafts to replace seals?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
marcdh

Re: Replacing camshaft seals

Post by marcdh »

Nope just remove timing belt and pulleys.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
davmac

Post by davmac »

I assume you're replacing camshaft seals because of oil leaks. While you're in there you might want to remove and seal the front camshaft cap to the engine head. The front camshaft caps are just behind the timing pulleys as seen in this link.

It is nearly impossible to tell if the camshaft seals or the seal between the cylinder head and camshaft cap is leaking. The only way I could get mine to be dry was to use a very thin coat of rtv between the front cap and head. I then tightened the cap to spec and drove the seal in with a hammer and piece of pipe.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Another tip use the old seal as a tool to press in the new one. Avoids damage to new seals.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

davmac wrote:I assume you're replacing camshaft seals because of oil leaks. While you're in there you might want to remove and seal the front camshaft cap to the engine head. The front camshaft caps are just behind the timing pulleys as seen in this link.

It is nearly impossible to tell if the camshaft seals or the seal between the cylinder head and camshaft cap is leaking. The only way I could get mine to be dry was to use a very thin coat of rtv between the front cap and head. I then tightened the cap to spec and drove the seal in with a hammer and piece of pipe.
I think camshaft cap is leaking, is there seal that goes there or just RTV it real good?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I thought Ryan did a write up on this to help simplify things.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
davmac

Post by davmac »

mitmaks wrote:I think camshaft cap is leaking, is there seal that goes there or just RTV it real good?
The 2 camshaft caps at the front of the engine and the one at the rear left (where the distributor is driven) need a thin coat of RTV between the cap and the cylinder head. The other camshaft caps are just torqued down metal to metal. The service manual is actually pretty clear about this. Unfortunately I had to learn by replacing front camshaft seals and distributor shaft o-ring twice.

Oh - if I misread and you're talking about the blind camshaft caps next to the camshaft seals, then those too should get a thin coat of RTV before being pressed in.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”