Broken Vacuum chamber, can I cap it?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
davmac

Re: Broken Vacuum chamber, can I cap it?

Post by davmac »

If your first picture is how the vacuum lines are set up on your car then you were not using the vacuum chambers. The cap in your first picture should be a vacuum line that would connect to the VRIS valves (though first to the electrical vacuum switches). I'm not sure what your car is using for a vacuum source for the VRIS valves - maybe they've never worked.

Vacuum is coming from the intake manifold. The check valve is there to make sure air is only moving in one direction - into the intake manifold. The vacuum chambers are there to store vacuum. Since the intake manifold vacuum changes with engine load the vacuum chambers provide a constant source of vacuum.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
davmac

Post by davmac »

I should have added that any check valve that fits between the vacuum line will work. Also you can fix your check valve by retrieving the nipple from the vacuum line and using epoxy to connect it to the check valve.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

MazdaMech wrote:So I looked a second time on the ebay item and noticed the specifications listed on it, they have it as .124 OD which is 1/8inch. That is the ID size of the vacuum line, so do you really think this will work? I guess I have to wait for the chamber to show up from mazda so I might as well try this for the check and save me 33 bucks.
I dont see why not, its the size you need and it is a check valve. No need to complicate this too much lol Its only a couple of bucks, worth a try.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MazdaMech

Post by MazdaMech »

I don't think I explained myself correctly the first time so I added the image below to illustrate.

The original setup, labeled as K8 has and extra line out on the top of the first Vac chamber. Thus allowing the end to be capped.

The proposed setup, which I guess the KLDE and KLZE use anyway, is labeled KLDE and would not require me to cap anything. I was asking if the proposed setup would work, but I guess I don't really see why not, gets the job done either way.
Own:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS
2006 Chevrolet Uplander LS
1999 Ford F-250 XLT LD
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS (Rescue from a poor handler) *In work*(Body, interior, (future - KL swap))
1987 Dodge Dakota LE
1983 Honda CX-650C +parts bike
Looking at:
TRYING TO FIND A MX-3 Daily! No Luck:-(
davmac

Post by davmac »

I'm feeling kinda silly about the long reply earlier. Obviously you've figured out the answer: Yes you can use the KLDE vacuum chambers. You can also use any check valve. Just make sure the check valve only allows air to flow into the manifold and restricts air from flowing into the vacuum chambers.
MazdaMech

Post by MazdaMech »

This is what it looks like done, I need take a shot of top of the IM though as well.
Own:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS
2006 Chevrolet Uplander LS
1999 Ford F-250 XLT LD
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS (Rescue from a poor handler) *In work*(Body, interior, (future - KL swap))
1987 Dodge Dakota LE
1983 Honda CX-650C +parts bike
Looking at:
TRYING TO FIND A MX-3 Daily! No Luck:-(

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”