Stock 3 spoke Steering Wheel

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
MazdaMech
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Stock 3 spoke Steering Wheel

Post by MazdaMech »

I've never seen a stock 3 spoke steering wheel w/o cruise on it. The MX-3 I had in HS was a 4 spoke with airbag and the GS I have now has cruise controls on it. My question to someone that has done it before or knows, can I add the cruise controls from my steering wheel (which is severely deteriorated) onto a stock 3 spoke steering wheel that doesnt have it?

I've seen on the forums here where people modified the location of thier cruise control and such but I didnt really want to do that.

Just wondering if it would require wiring mods (clockspring wiring different) or cosmetic mods (having to remove/drill into/replace parts on the wheel)

I would like to have a stock wheel, so I'm not that interested in getting aftermarket/protege. Can anyone help answer this?
Own:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS
2006 Chevrolet Uplander LS
1999 Ford F-250 XLT LD
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS (Rescue from a poor handler) *In work*(Body, interior, (future - KL swap))
1987 Dodge Dakota LE
1983 Honda CX-650C +parts bike
Looking at:
TRYING TO FIND A MX-3 Daily! No Luck:-(
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: Stock 3 spoke Steering Wheel

Post by Josh »

Cruse control if mounted to the steering wheel will unscrew from the wheel.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

you can add cruise control to steering wheels that don't have it, you just have to make a cutout
MazdaMech

Post by MazdaMech »

So how about the wiring? Will the controls go through the clockspring?
Own:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS
1999 Ford F-250 XLT LD
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS (Rescue from a poor handler) *In work*(Body, interior, (future - KL swap))
1987 Dodge Dakota LE
Looking at:
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Tap into the wires and mount the CC switch in the steering bezel below the ignition switch. You need to glue it in there with like hot melt glue. I don't think there's any pics showing this being done as far as I know. I plan to do mine,,,some day as well. :roll:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MazdaMech

Post by MazdaMech »

Daninski wrote:Tap into the wires and mount the CC switch in the steering bezel below the ignition switch. You need to glue it in there with like hot melt glue. I don't think there's any pics showing this being done as far as I know. I plan to do mine,,,some day as well. :roll:
I didnt really want to change the location or get into tapping into wires. I just ordered a 94 Steering wheel in near mint condition without cruise control from a JY in Chicago. Want to take the controls off of mine, put on the new steering wheel and call it a day but honestly I've never changed a steering wheel so I wasn't sure how the wiring would work to get the cc connected. :shrug:
Own:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS
1999 Ford F-250 XLT LD
1987 Dodge Dakota LE
Looking at:
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

If you don't have a puller have one person pull on the steering wheel and another hit the steering shaft (where you took the nut off) and the wheel should come free of the shaft. Careful not to damage/flare the shaft when you hit it. I usually use a brass drift or install a temporary nut to protect the threads.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

When I pulled off my steering wheel I reoved the bolt, then threaded it on enough so that it would stay on the smack the sides of the wheel with my palms, then the top, then wiggle as hard as I can then pull on that sucker with my feet on the dead pedal on the floor. The nut protects you from getting a face full of loose steering wheel too.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
MazdaMech

Post by MazdaMech »

Good suggestions, I will keep that in mind.
Own:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS
1999 Ford F-250 XLT LD
1987 Dodge Dakota LE
Looking at:

Return to “Appearance”