mx3 engine swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ganue
Supporting Member

Re: mx3 engine swap

Post by ganue »

Please add your location in the user control panel so we can see where you are - you might be on my block for all I know and can help immediately.

<My Opinion ON>
In lieu of that, how many miles on the car? These engines don't die too easily < 150,000 miles unless there is knowingly some abuse. Having said that - if the car has less than 150,000 miles on it - save your money and put it back together and see what you are dealing with. If nothing else, putting it all back together will make it easier to do a second time and at your convenience. If it doesn't work, put the money you would have spent as a down payment on a KLZE. >150,000? - just get a KLZE and end the effort!!
<My Opinion OFF>
1993 GS SE - "slow" (Stock) - SOLD
1993 GS SE - "fast" (Curved neck KLZE, OBX headers, custom 2.5" exhaust, KL36 ECU, Exedy Probe GT clutch, KL36 LSD - the real one, Lantis Type R lefthand halfshaft - unfortunately worth mentioning)- SOLD

1993 GS SE - acquired 4/28/2013, SOLD February 28, 2015

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring
Thefez
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Thefez »

I was going to say the same thing theres a few of us if not more that know mech work or these motors very well that are very willing to help:)
stevesei

Post by stevesei »

Two cents worth: Put a water pump on it now, because it's a b----h to pull everything apart if you do it later. If it turns out you have a bad engine, move the new pump to the replacement engine. There are two shaft diameters, so your existing pulley would have to go with the pump, but other than that, the pump fits all of the V-6s.

Also, triple check the timing of the cams. Once they are timed properly, the distributor only installs one way. If it sounds good, has good compression, but doesn't run, the distributor is the next thing to check. They can fail without warning, or partially fail and cause all sorts of strange running issues.

If you haven't found it already, this site has the full shop manual for the standard MX-3, both V-6 and L-4. (Daninski posted a link)

One more thing. These are robust engines, but use good sense and some care. They are entirely aluminum and don't respond well to the 'get a bigger hammer/wrench' school of mechanicking. Check the manual and the forums here if you have any difficulties.

Cheers, and have fun. The cars are a ball when given some TLC.

Steve
Steve Seiter
Blue '92 GS, Milly square-port DE with stainless headers, Stoker100 chip, HEI/Blaster conversion,
2.25" exhaust, High flow cat, ZX-2 shocks, short shifter, urethane front bushings, 17x7s with 595 Evos
MazdaMech

Post by MazdaMech »

Thanks for the info, this is good stuff, earmarking for later.
Own:
2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS
2006 Chevrolet Uplander LS
1999 Ford F-250 XLT LD
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS (Rescue from a poor handler) *In work*(Body, interior, (future - KL swap))
1987 Dodge Dakota LE
1983 Honda CX-650C +parts bike
Looking at:
TRYING TO FIND A MX-3 Daily! No Luck:-(
Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

I got the new water pump on. I went by the manual and was trying to retime the motor. I got the cam shafts to line up for the most part, but when I try to turn the crank it spins freely at first but locks up. I tried turning it the other way and maybe half a turn that way it locks up.

Do I have to turn the cam shafts as I turn the crank? I was told this wasn't an interference motor but I don't want to be bending any valves.

Any reason the crank locks up half a turn either way?

Thanks!
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Are the plugs still in? Compression would be stopping you from turning it over.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”