Hood Scoop

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Quazi5

Hood Scoop

Post by Quazi5 »

I'm not sure where to put this post so I put it under general. Anyway... Hoodscoops, Is it just an appearance thing for the MX-3 or can it actually help keep engine temps down and help to run on cooler air such as using it with forced induction? Just Curious.
Blake Gibson<BR>'93 Black MX-3 GS<BR>Anyday is a good day if I'm in my MX-3.
5spd_GS

Re: Hood Scoop

Post by 5spd_GS »

Wellll....<BR>most guys with hood scoops have them just for appearance, some arent functional (no holes cut in hood, its kinda risky..)i think ive seen one or two with funtional hoodscoops, really just blows cold air on the top of your motor. the air intake on our cars is sucking air from either justunder the lip of the hood (stock intake) ORRRR if you take the air box out of your car, you can make a funtional cold air intake, such as a PRM or the such.. which "hangs" down near the bottom of your drivers side bumper, which essentially sucks "cold" air from the outside, instead of "hot" air, like the air from in your engine bay.<BR>i dont believe the hoodscoop would effect the cold air that your intake is taking in, but could pose as a cooling "system" for your physical engine, which is ALWAYS nice :)<p>[ April 21, 2002: Message edited by: 5spd_GS ]
Calen Sansom
1994 MX-3 GS Sparkle Green
Quazi5

Post by Quazi5 »

Ok... Now I guess the question is would it hurt anything if you were to cut the hole. I realize that if someone does cut the hole then they would have to put something to keep trash from entering the engine compartment, But does it damage..... say the structural integrity of the hood.
Blake Gibson<BR>'93 Black MX-3 GS<BR>Anyday is a good day if I'm in my MX-3.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

If your going to put your engine in shows, I'd suggest not to. If you do, and it rains, water and dirt get allover your motor as well as bugs n such. Plus if it rains it will have to be closed.<BR>Only main use is for engine cooling, maybe some air if you have a cone intake.<P>Mines just for show.
I_love_my_MX-3

Post by I_love_my_MX-3 »

also soem people ahve em to make clearence for the B6T swap.
1992 MX-3 handed down to my sis :)
1992 MR-2 Turbo sold and missed :(
1995 Integra GS-R :)

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”