RTM Racing

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.

Performance Upgrades

True CAI/MAF Upgrade
14%
Bolt on Exhaust System for 1.6 SOHC/DOHC, 1.8/2.5, Turbo Manifold(s), Exhaust Manifold(s)
24%
Machining Options; Throttle Body, Intake Plenum
29%
Gaskets: MLS head gasket(s), Thermal Shield Intake Gasket(s)
5%
Fuel System Upgrade Kit: Injectors, AFPR, Pump, Rail(s), AN Lines
5%
Head Bolt(s)
10%
Dress Up Hardware
14%

Total votes: 21

CaffeineTripp
antispam: No

RTM Racing

Post by CaffeineTripp »

I recently got in contact with RTM Racing, who makes a lot of products for a variety of vehicles, and stocks name brand parts as well. I asked them if it would be possible to give some love to the MX-3. Got the reply:

"I would love to get into other platforms, but usually there are already shops that specialize in certain vehicles, and if a project is worthwhile, they will likely have tackled it already, LOL.
Of course, there are exceptions. If you want to provide me with specifics and samples of what would be required, along with estimates of how many of these items might sell, I could consider it."

So, drivers of MX-3s, what would you like to see created, provided that it would be a group buy. I know that Cork Sport has/had a lot of parts available, but it's nice to have some fresh ideas, especially from a distributor in Canada. What're you thinking?

I'm leaning towards a true CAI, cheaper strut tower bars/strut tower bars that mate up to the firewall to increase the rigidity along with the rears that would bolt to the body and strut towers. But, since these cars handle incredibly well already, why not make them handle even better with a full polyurethane kit, instead of hunting and picking through Energy Suspension and Prothane.
Going away from the suspension and intake upgrades, I'd like to see a bolt on turbo/supercharger kit (whether standard twin scroll or a ProCharger Kit) that will bolt right up. Maybe even a twin charge, but then I'm just dreaming.
If the MX-3 ECU is EPROM, which I don't know if it is, a program to tune that is a mix of stand alone and piggy back much like ECMLink/DSMLink for the Eclipse, Talon, and Laser.

Now, I'm looking to get responses from all over the board for engine sizes, from the B6-ME to the KL-ZE and beyond.
91 Dakota 239; header back, SRI, emissions delete.
92 MX-5; H&R, Prothane Total Kit soon
Wife's:
12 Hyundai Elantra 6 Speed Manual
92 MX-3 GS; KL-ZE swap, Maxxim 17's, Pacesetter catback, SRI. FOR SALE
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: RTM Racing

Post by Sleeper6 »

a BB option for intake spacers would be nice
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

Sleeper6 wrote:a BB option for intake spacers would be nice
i bet outlaw would do it if u contact them plus u could get probetalk guys in on it......

A true CAI what is that? there is already the intake in fender and the intake straight down directed under the car...the only true u could get would be sticking it in front of the rad :lol:

there are strut tower bars on ebay pretty cheap.....if u need more rigidity than that im sure your a serious autoX or track guy.

the others are some grand ideas but.........

HOW ABOUT A REPLICA MAZDASPEED 25mm FRONT SWAY BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
CaffeineTripp

Post by CaffeineTripp »

As some people think a CAI is just a hard pipe. Not necessarily. A true CAI, as I know it, routes the filter outside of the engine bay; fender well. The SRI is the normal routing for most intakes where the filter is still within the engine bay. Big difference between the two.
Probetalk as well I suppose.
The main thing is competition between vendors. The more competition, the more parts available, the cheaper the prices with the same detail of product.
In any case, give some ideas on some wanted parts!
Wife's:
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Actually, how bout a serious MS replica CF Spoiler, that Ild be down for
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

I think we don't have the userbase to make this economically feasible for the company or for us, unless we can get an unanimous agreement on one part we probably will not have enough people for the price to be reasonable and for it to be worthwhile for the company, but then again I'd love to be proven wrong.

And for the true CAI you're talking about, do you mean a two piece hard pipe kit that would go right into the open section underneath the coolant reservoirs(four cylinder, not sure where it is on the v6)?
kulluminati777 wrote: there are strut tower bars on ebay pretty cheap.....if u need more rigidity than that im sure your a serious autoX or track guy.
Ebay bars are garbage and currently CS ones are the best ones out there, it would be cool to have one that mounts to the firewall.

There have been talks, or so I've heard from FowlJesse, of a couple of guys making a GB on engine dampers which I'd be interested in.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

CaffeineTripp wrote: In any case, give some ideas on some wanted parts!
a mazdaspeed replica 25 mm sway bar

and this

http://www.ghiagirl.com/phrankentruk/balljoints.htm
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

A true bolt-on supercharger kit, with quality parts and no garbage... I'd put cash down for one of those.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
CaffeineTripp

Post by CaffeineTripp »

kulluminati777 wrote:
CaffeineTripp wrote: In any case, give some ideas on some wanted parts!
a mazdaspeed replica 25 mm sway bar

and this

http://www.ghiagirl.com/phrankentruk/balljoints.htm
That's actually quite a good idea. Keeping the spindle at the OE angle when lowering a vehicle.
MrMazda92 wrote:A true bolt-on supercharger kit, with quality parts and no garbage... I'd put cash down for one of those.
I'm in definite agreeance with you on this. Bolt on supercharger kit would be excellent. The price would be high, of course, both something that completely bots on, whether twin screw or otherwise, would be excellent.
Wife's:
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

MrMazda92 wrote:A true bolt-on supercharger kit, with quality parts and no garbage... I'd put cash down for one of those.
Yes i think i bolt supercharger kit would be awesome...or even some parts to make boosting a k series a little more convenient, whether you want to turbo or supercharge
93 GS SE - Raspberry metallic. K8 - 2 1/4in exhaust w/Magnaflow street series muffler, Custom intake, Kyb Gr2's w/Apex springs, Full kenwood audio - SOLD
CaffeineTripp

Post by CaffeineTripp »

Along with the supercharger kit, for either the DE or the ZE, it'd be nice to see something that would bolt up, with an adapter for the intake runners, for the B6-ME as well.
In any case, bolt on -charger kits would be much appreciated.

Got some word back from RTM

"I actually tried to get into the MX3 market before I got into the DSM market. There was a forum..I don’t remember exactly which one..that I paid to become a supporting vendor on, but I found that it was NOT worthwhile. The guys already had their supplier for their day to day stuff, and they ONLY came to me for the impossible to source stuff. I would spend a lot of time, and make ZERO sales.
The whole reason for starting out with the MX3 is that is what my apprentice was driving at the time, and we could make stuff for his car. Right around that time, he totalled the car, and bought a Talon, and the DSM board allowed me to advertise there for FREE (unlike 99% of the forums out there), and the rest is history….

Let me know if there is something you find a market for…

Ziggy"
Wife's:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

A bolt-on supercharger kit for my Rx8 costs around $5000-$8000.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Surgeonasst222

Post by Surgeonasst222 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:A bolt-on supercharger kit for my Rx8 costs around $5000-$8000.
Holy crap... Can we agree on somthing a little more cost friendly?
Mazda3 2012 - my NEW DD :mrgreen:
Mazda MX-3 RS 1992 - my project
Ford Focus SE 2010 - sold
Ford Focus SE 2003 - sold

Mazda MX-3 RS 1994 - sold :(
RobMinhas

Post by RobMinhas »

Supercharger kits are expensive for pretty much all cars. Need the actual injectors, the SC, the custom brackets all fabbed up, a ton of little bits and pieces that have to be fabricated. Then theres the cost of testing and research and development, then they'll have to make a profit too.

A company could probably move 10 SC kits in one year on this forum, maybe another 10 or 15 on Probetalk, the RX-8 ones that Nd mentioned probably sell that many in one month. The market isn't worthwhile unless the cost of the product is big enough warrant all of the R&D to do it. Probably 8k+ for a supercharger kit unless their is an existing kit to work from or a similiar one that can be fitted to our engines.
Daninski wrote:This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

How about a bolt-on supercharger bracket for the factory A/C location? Simple enough to throw together, and it'd be reasonably cheap.
That, and or a bolt-on FMIC/SMIC for the MX-3.

We all manage to get our hands on Millenia S injectors, Mazda 929 injectors, Nissan injectors, etc. quite easily already, as well as upgraded rotating assemblies.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “New Product Development”