power boost valve? plz explainn

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
rickdiculous93
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

power boost valve? plz explainn

Post by rickdiculous93 »

im new to this whole "turner" gig, i used to drive a 88 mustang and know alittle bit about cars. never felt the need to mod my beautiful stock foxbody due to the fact it was pushing power from the startt. i just recently bought a 93 mx3 1.8 v6 and its a blast to drive, but totally not fast enough for my liking. i wanna do some mods that arnt too hard to put in my car and arnt too much money. i stumbled apon the option of getting a FSE power boost valve. now like i said, im DECENT with cars, please explain this mod to me. i heard its an easy install and ups my throttle response and fuel deilvery,... but how? where do i install it? could i f--- up the installation somehow? plz help me out =]
atx_mx3

Re: power boost valve? plz explainn

Post by atx_mx3 »

Sounds like bulls---. I wouldn't spend money on it. Do a search for "KLZE" or "KLDE". These are nice upgrades for the 1.8. The 1.8 is fun, but lacks in power to make a cheap bolt on that works well.
1993 Mazda Mx-3 GS-Sold :(
1992 GS "The Bucket" Gone.
1993 GS 2.5 KLDE. Current daily.

92 GS 5spd for sale! Sold it....after I got a hatch cover in great condition :evil:
92 GS Auction Car, most expensive non-running mx-3 I have ever bought... Parted out and Crushed.

MY WORKLOG, check it out :) viewtopic.php?f=46&t=79959
atx_mx3

Post by atx_mx3 »

Oh and to me, the " FSE power boost valve" looks like a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.....I wouldn't touch it.

Quote from thier site:

What it gives you
Faster acceleration!
Quicker throttle response!
Overcomes flatspots!
Smooths engine speeds!
Fuel Pickup 1.7 times faster than standard. <----On the front page it also says it would "enrich" the fuel by 1.7:1. Sound familiar?
1993 Mazda Mx-3 GS-Sold :(
1992 GS "The Bucket" Gone.
1993 GS 2.5 KLDE. Current daily.

92 GS 5spd for sale! Sold it....after I got a hatch cover in great condition :evil:
92 GS Auction Car, most expensive non-running mx-3 I have ever bought... Parted out and Crushed.

MY WORKLOG, check it out :) viewtopic.php?f=46&t=79959
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

atx_mx3 wrote:Oh and to me, the " FSE power boost valve" looks like a rising rate fuel pressure regulator
Indeed, I've never heard of them and looking it up, that seems to be exactly what it is and what they describe it as. Only needed if your motor runs lean and you need more fuel high. Typically a fuel management system is needed to accomodate it and is used on boosted cars or very built high-reving motors.

If you know about cars, you know that more fuel does *not* equal more power. Upping the fuel delivery rate of the injectors would change nothing because it's all done on the intake stroke, which is more than enough time to get the fuel needed into the cylinders (were modified high-reving cars don't have enough injector pulse time to do it, or boosted cars need more fuel delivered). It doesn't matter if it takes 10% or 90% of the intake stroke for the fuel to be delivered, the instake stoke time will not change. It's like saying you have 10 seconds to fill a glass; you can fill it in 1 second (and make a hell of a mess) and sit there and wait the remaining 9 seconds, or you can take 9 seconds to fill it, not have water all over the counter, and give you 1 second to spare cause you don't want to cut it that close. After that, the compression and ignition stroke does it's own thing and doesn't directly get affected by how fast the fuel was injected in the previous stroke. No clue how it would improve power or throttle response.

You could actually argue because of the fuel being mixed with the air as it's entering the cylinder, injecting it slower would allow a better mix and better atomization with the oxygen, rather than a hard wet squirt.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

Haha first thread!!! Enjoy the car man and like i said if u ever need help with anything just give me a call!
93 GS SE - Raspberry metallic. K8 - 2 1/4in exhaust w/Magnaflow street series muffler, Custom intake, Kyb Gr2's w/Apex springs, Full kenwood audio - SOLD
rickdiculous93
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by rickdiculous93 »

thx for the clean up, i should just stick to a cold air and call it a day :) and thx jbud lol im curious on the steps of fabercating the eaton supercharger on this car... im gonna make another postt

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”