MrMazda92's '92 GS - New daily

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
weede_klze
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: MrMazda92's '92 GS "Tracy" - MS6 Brake info + More pics!

Post by weede_klze »

MS6 you mean mazda 283mm rotor (like mine) or 320 from MPS ? It`s very easy to fit.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

The MazdaSpeed 6 are 320mm, and that is my target for this project.

I thought I'd found a possible 2 piston replacement for the MS6 caliper, but no dice quite yet... It would require scavenging parts from 5 different cars to make it work, and it would over-complicate things beyond my comfort zone.
weede_klze

Post by weede_klze »

This is my friends mx-6 from Poland

It has Mazda 6 MPS brakes 320mm
rims min 17"

Its all p&p on 323ba v6 spindle. But you must converse to 5lug or drill rotors like I on 4 lug.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

That is a clean, and SEXY MX-6!! I'm no fan of Chrome, but even that fits the car! :shock:

Sadly I won't be able to find 323f spindles stateside, and purchase+shipping would cost more than Probe front+rear spindles and spacers to clear the FD wheels in the rear. :( It'll mean I need to modify the Probe spindles, or run their struts/lower coilover mounts. The benefit the Probe swap offers(besides availability, I have 5 of them in ONE yard locally) is they are already 5lug hubs.

The only 16" wheel that I've found so far that clears the MS6 brakes, are the RX7 FD wheels(both the weaker original, and sturdier replacement wheels)
This is an RX7 FD wheel installed on a MazdaSpeed6, courtesy of the members at mazda6club.com:

The guy who test fit the wheels said that the wheel would turn, but had light contact with the caliper, full rotation. Grinding a few mm off of the outer edge of the caliper WILL allow the wheels to clear. :D

It's possible, but only barely, and the trickiest part will be getting the rears to clear both the strut assembly and the fenders at the same time.
weede_klze

Post by weede_klze »

MrMazda92 wrote:Grinding a few mm off of the outer edge of the caliper WILL allow the wheels to clear. :D
Grinding caliper is always tricky part and could not end well, but good luck! :)

I wondering how much this setup will be heavier than stock and mazda 6 - 283mm brakes...
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I am hoping for the best, since it'll literally be 2-3mm at the most that needs to be removed. If I utterly had to, I could have the wheels modified slightly, but I'd prefer the calipers for cost purposes. Thank you!

It'll probably be 50% heavier than stock, at least, but the FD wheels are lighter than stock honeycombs. The 5 lug hubs, larger rotors, and larger calipers will add weight, but the reduction on the outer edge will help to offset that increase.

Fingers crossed!
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

Oh man that MX6 with the Aspec touring kit is so hawt :love: :love: :love: :love:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

What are you doing for a knock sensor for the megasquirt?
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

As far as I know, it'll work as it would with the factory ECU. :shrug: I haven't messed with tuning yet, since I'm still lacking a wideband and external IAT sensor. :( I figured I'd rather put the moneys towards the G4 before any more extras, since I won't have as much space to work on the car for much longer, with my coming move.

I wonder if MegaSquirt will let me decide exactly how much to retard timing when knock is sensed... I have something to research now! :P
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

No luck on the MS6 calipers... The local guy sold them out from under me, since he had a higher offer. 2 days before the trade too. :x

Now I'll need to go through the Mazda6 forums probably, so I may as well put that money towards the G4 swap first. I'm going to be pretty low on updates this month, since all I'm really doing is fixing the MS bumper and swapping my sister's engine and trans. for her. Work, work, and more work... At least that'll force me to save my money for a while, then I'll actually have enough to buy what I NEED this month.
bbunkerc397

Post by bbunkerc397 »

weede_klze wrote:This is my friends mx-6 from Poland

Nice and shinny MX-6 :D
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
2006 Chevy HHR LT "Bought Brand New - East Side Chevy" Sold to my Dad
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

There's something that I have been meaning to do for an awfully long time, and I'm finally prepared to do it properly.

TOTAL A/C DELETE!!! :welder:

I de-belted the sucker a while back, and have enjoyed a barely noticeable improvement since then. As my plans to move have been pushed back repeatedly, I'm not expecting to NEED A/C for quite a while now. I intend to keep everything intact, and stored in a box just in case, but I do plan on leaving it out permanently.

I'm basically going off of David Coleman's writeup, which can be found here(a copy of it):
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25995&p=144790&hil ... ht#p144790

I am curious though, about whether or not I can remove all of the lines from the engine bay, without removing my dash inside the car? I've been meaning to remove the dash for a while, and tackle some annoying rattles concealed beneath it... As well as figure out a permanent mounting solution for my MegaSquirt.

I have been blessed with a very large indoor space, already loaded to the gills with tools, in which I can work on the car(It's climate controlled, VERY well lit, and has a smooth concrete floor over which my creeper can finally see some use).

I'm planning to do quite a bit of long-awaited maintenance, now that this space is available for my use. Including tackling that damned "bouncing" in the front left corner, which I am still praying is the wheel-bearing or hub. If it's the transmission, I'll be making the swap over to a taller geared MX-6/626 trans, since all the work will be done either way, I may as well add 1-2 freeway MPGs while it's torn down.

Back on topic of the A/C removal, is it un-wise to remove all of the visible lines in the engine bay, yet leave them connected between the dash and the firewall? Or should I simply plug holes as I uncover them? Thank you guys.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

You dont have to take out the entire dash just he glove box and as far as removing all the lines it would only be for visual purposes all the lines together weigh about 10lbs
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Awesome, that's easy then. :)

It's marginal weight savings for the lines, but less crap in the way come swap and wire-tuck time. :2thumbsup: If it's not being used(like cruise control, wiper fluid reservoir/lines, power-steering), then it's going bye-bye.

I'm hoping to cut it down to around 2,400 pounds before I consider it "finished".
easts1d3

Post by easts1d3 »

I always used to hate that my MX-3 didnt have AC but now i dont have to do what your doing :wink:

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”