anybody did an fe3 swap?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
pattheriault

anybody did an fe3 swap?

Post by pattheriault »

Hi guys,

I know its been done a couple time but cant find much info on it.. does anybody here have done it or atleast know some info about it?

what's involve in this swap? is it a full custom mount and shaft job or can we mix and match some stuff to make this a bolt-on job?
Evo_Spec

Re: anybody did an fe3 swap?

Post by Evo_Spec »

it's pretty close to bolt on. i don't think anyone has done it here but several have been done on bg chassis

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showth ... highlight=
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

ive heard of a couple of the guys from Europe (mainly Britain) doing it
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Always was a fan of this, not too bad for a 4 banger! :wink:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i'd really like to do one but the motivation to swap from a BPT is pretty low =P
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

There have been a couple in MX-3's state side. The fastest MX3 in the 1/4 ran an FE motor and got into the high 9's. The issue now is finding a FWD FEDOHC motor.

It is easier to start with a GS and you will use the trans and mounts from the GS to bolt it in, but the engine bay harness from the 92-93 RS, you can use a BP10 ecu to run it, timing will be just a tad off but it can be adjusted properly. most go with standalone and modded BP maps. If I would not have found the GS I did I would have done an FE swap ;)

if you stay N/A you can stroke it to a 2.2 pretty easy. Probably one of the best engines Mazda ever constructed that never made it to the US. The Kia sportage used the FE DOHC and they are everywhere but RWD. they can be converted to FWD easily but the cranks in the Kia are cast and not forged like the mazda version, and the cams are milder but they can still take the boost. The crank also HAS to use the kia flywheel and it is an 8 bolt vs 6 bolt or something like that. the Mazda FE3 motors have made up to 500 to 700 WHP on stock internals. They are an amazing machine.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Josh summed it up beautifully!

Btw, didn't Goldmember hit high 9s?
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

I think baby blue was pretty close to that
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
xxxmonoxidechild

Post by xxxmonoxidechild »

ive seen 2 F2T swapped mx3's in the states. but havent seen a fe3 one yet. but once you have a F2T swapped in, the fe3 would be a direct bolt in replacement.

i know the owner of clubprotege Ryan installed a fe3 in his 323 though. and has a Massive build thread with pics and all the details on his forum. ;)
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

If I find an FE motor, I am buying it to have and keep weather I use it or not :) if the KL goes and i decide to not do a rebuild that motor will take its place. :)
pattheriault

Post by pattheriault »

Thanks for the info guys!

I might look into it! was planning for a Turbo DE when I graduate university.
Basically have all my setup already just no time and no cash for all the small stuff right now.

But I might look into a FE3 instead if I can get my hands on one!

So josh you says it will basically bolt on in a GS? I would absolutely go with a standalone if im going this route so wiring and ECU combination is not much of an issue for me.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”