Where is my CEL (Check Engine Light)

Eunos 30X/Presso/Autozam AZ-3 Discussions
2weeler
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Where is my CEL (Check Engine Light)

Post by 2weeler »

After years of problems I've found the problem with my Presso, a faulty aftermarket distributer :x . Just to make sure there are no more problems I'd like to check the Diagnostics. So I followed http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic293119.htm.

Short TEN and GND and turn on ignition. Only problem is where I'd expect to see the CEL I see a heat light, which doesn't flash. Can anybody tell me where my CEL light is.

Its a Japanese Imported 1991 Eunos Presso 1.8 V6.

Thanks in advance for your help
JayoM

Re: Where is my CEL (Check Engine Light)

Post by JayoM »

If no one can help you in the mean time, I'll have a look at the weekend for ya. I don't know off hand, luckily I've never had to pay attention to it!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

When you first turn on the key, all functioning dash lights will light up to let you know what's working. You should hopefully see it then if anything.

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
2weeler

Post by 2weeler »

"Only problem is where I'd expect to see the CEL I see a heat light, which doesn't flash". The Eunos Presso has a heat light where the MX-3 has a CEL. The heat light apparently refers to the catalyst heat sensor.
JayoM

Post by JayoM »

It sure does. My sensor disconnected while driving through mountains and the heat light lit up. The sensor is smashed to bits now and no more light :-D
2weeler

Post by 2weeler »

@JayoM -> I'm interested to see if you have an CEL light

It seems as though the eunos doesn't have one, which is strange.

I might have to try this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU4uOHatUR0) with an LED indicator or multimeter.
JayoM

Post by JayoM »

Me too! I'm not near my cars til the weekend so I'll check for ya then.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

yeah my European Spec MX-6 doesnt have a CEL either...in all honesty i think its one of those dumb american only things, like you HAVE to push the clutch in to start the car so u dont go flying off, my american MX-3 you have to do that but european MX-6 you dont have to....im sure japanese/european mazdas dont have the idiot handicaps.....
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
JayoM

Post by JayoM »

No CEL. First modern car I've seen without one. I guess because the OBD1 because they're not usually diagnosed by plugging into the computer and it already has the warning light for the heat sensors.
2weeler

Post by 2weeler »

Thanks for the update. I tried the above Youtube trick and the LED didn't go on so either there are no faults or it didn't work. It was merely out of curiosity. As there appear to be no issues with the car I'll give up. Next time I take it in to my mechanic I'll get him to run the diagnostics tool to give me peace of mind. Next job, replace bushings on gear lever, I swear sometimes it looks like it's in 5th when it's in 1st. The other half doesn't care (it's her car) but it pisses me off everytime I drive it.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

i would for at least once every 6 months head to a mech that has an OBD I computer check out any codes you might have, i just say that because the MX-6 (with no CEL) will have codes and there will be nothing wrong thats noticeable like ABS sensors and crank angle stuff.....
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Emtase
antispam: No

Post by Emtase »

2weeler wrote:Thanks for the update. I tried the above Youtube trick and the led bulbs didn't go on so either there are no faults or it didn't work. It was merely out of curiosity. As there appear to be no issues with the car I'll give up. Next time I take it in to my mechanic I'll get him to run the diagnostics tool to give me peace of mind. Next job, replace bushings on gear lever, I swear sometimes it looks like it's in 5th when it's in 1st. The other half doesn't care (it's her car) but it pisses me off everytime I drive it.
You need to take help from expert. He will fit LED lights properly.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Llate reply here but it needs to be said the Eunos 30x does not have a cel in the dash. If using small led lights you need to wire up about 4 LEDs to handle the voltage. Make sure they are wired to the correct polarity then jumper 10 and gnd. The leds will light up and stay on for a second when you switch the ignition on, then if there are any codes it will flash.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog

Return to “Eunos 30X/Presso/Autozam AZ-3”