Car Died/Wont Start

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
LivinDeadGurl

Car Died/Wont Start

Post by LivinDeadGurl »

Hey All,

Ok, last night I changed the alternator belt, fuel inj amp, spark plugs... so today... when i was gearing down, the car died, turns over, no compression, and wont start... timing belt??

does anyone know if the motor in a 94 mx3 v6 is an inferior motor?
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

it is not an inferior motor in any way but if you have no compression on any cylinder i would say timing belt broke.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
LivinDeadGurl

Re: Car Died/Wont Start

Post by LivinDeadGurl »

Timing belt is good... I have also tried to spray Ether into the Air intake and it still wont start. I have spark and fuel... Any Idea's? I have checked all fuses (the ones under the hood that is). Compression is alright, not the best though. Ranges from 140-152 between all 6 cylinders....
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

since u are getting sparkk its not the disty...or is it ba ba bum........but yeah dumb suggestion but im guessing your just getting a steady click when u turn the key....maybe try jumping the battery with jumper cables :shrug:

my timing belt just snapped and i replaced it using the same hydrolic tensioner....

a week later the car got stranded at the store and i though it was te timing belt, when i found out it was not it i jumped it with my friends FD3S and it came ALIVE!!!!!!

moral of the story start with the basic trouble shooting procedures,
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

Sooo first you said no Compression then you said you are getting compression on all cylinders, confusing. I'm assuming you have compression, you apparently tested for spark and for fuel getting into the cylinder. You said it turned over, so its not the click click thing suggested by kulluminati777. So maybe its getting too much fuel (flooding) are the plugs pretty wet? Otherwise it would have to be timing I think for it not to start at all. I'm curious how you tested spark, did you keep it going for a bit and see consistent spark or just stop when you saw a spark. The biggest problem our cars seem to have causing starting issues is the distributor.
LivinDeadGurl

Post by LivinDeadGurl »

Hey, Yeah... some how I posted this issue on a previous post I had made like 4 years ago. Sorry. The most recent post (from today) is what is happening.... Sorry.
LivinDeadGurl

Post by LivinDeadGurl »

It seems the car is flooding itself out on the bottom banks. So cylindars 246 are flooding... I figured the flooding is from cranking the engine so much. I just got a copy of the firing order for my car so I am going to verify that it is right... Funny thing though, I was told that if you spray ether directly into the air intake, it should fire up/start up or atleast try to. It is not trying at all.. It just cranks over and over... I took the spark plugs out and had someone crank it over and yes there is spark...
atx_mx3

Post by atx_mx3 »

LivinDeadGurl wrote:It seems the car is flooding itself out on the bottom banks. So cylindars 246 are flooding... I figured the flooding is from cranking the engine so much. I just got a copy of the firing order for my car so I am going to verify that it is right... Funny thing though, I was told that if you spray ether directly into the air intake, it should fire up/start up or atleast try to. It is not trying at all.. It just cranks over and over... I took the spark plugs out and had someone crank it over and yes there is spark...
Do you have good looking/strong spark on the cylinders that are "flooding?" If you have spark, and you are spraying a combustible fluid down the intake(assuming your timing is correct) then it should start...you are overlooking something.

***EDIT- Any codes present??
1993 Mazda Mx-3 GS-Sold :(
1992 GS "The Bucket" Gone.
1993 GS 2.5 KLDE. Current daily.

92 GS 5spd for sale! Sold it....after I got a hatch cover in great condition :evil:
92 GS Auction Car, most expensive non-running mx-3 I have ever bought... Parted out and Crushed.

MY WORKLOG, check it out :) viewtopic.php?f=46&t=79959
LivinDeadGurl

Post by LivinDeadGurl »

Its not a crisp blue spark, its more like a yellowish/orangish spark...
atx_mx3

Post by atx_mx3 »

LivinDeadGurl wrote:Its not a crisp blue spark, its more like a yellowish/orangish spark...
If you are able to clearly see spark and you are feeding it a ether, then it should start. Check fuses, pull codes, compression test, re-check timing belt for correct timing.

Even if it was flooding the front three cylinders, it should still TRY and start on the back 3.

Compression(timing), fuel, spark.....

92 GS 5spd for sale! Sold it....after I got a hatch cover in great condition :evil:
92 GS Auction Car, most expensive non-running mx-3 I have ever bought... Parted out and Crushed.

atx_mx3

Post by atx_mx3 »

LivinDeadGurl wrote:Hey All,

Ok, last night I changed the alternator belt, fuel inj amp, spark plugs... so today... when i was gearing down, the car died, turns over, no compression, and wont start... timing belt??

does anyone know if the motor in a 94 mx3 v6 is an inferior motor?

What is "fuel inj amp"?

And by inferior....i guess you mean interference. Neither are the case....although some may argue the K8 is nothing compared to the DE/ZE, I love them. Mass produced, smallest V6 ever made.

LivinDeadGurl

Post by LivinDeadGurl »

The beginning of this thread was an old thread and I accidently posted my 'new' issues on it.

This is where my car sits...

Ether down the air intake... wont fire it all.
Front banks are flooding... I can smell a strong gas smell from where you put oil into the motor... even after its been sitting over night and has not been turned over.
I am about to check the timing marks and cam marks... however, the last bolt holding the timing cover on is at the bottom of the motor and I have no idea where to jack the motor up underneath... I do have the motor mount undone, just have to pull the pin out, but not until the jack is supporting the motor...

I am about ready to burn this car to the ground... Everyone that has looked at it, is stumped, since it wont fire on ether either.
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

...did you check the battery? or clean the starter terminals?
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
LivinDeadGurl

Post by LivinDeadGurl »

Yep that has been done. I really need to check the timing though I think. Does anyone know what Im looking for under the motor to jack it up? Also, it almost seems like the air intake is not sucking air in... could be why the Ether hasnt ignited... right?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

in a more rare case the air flow meter can get stuck shut. Mine did at one point and refused to start, you'd have to force open the spring to make sure the engine is getting air.

Then the timing belt may have jumped, which is more commonly the issue. I would focus on lining up the timing marks first before thinking there's K8/L Gremlins causing it.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”