Starting Issues

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
93DrunkMx3r
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Starting Issues

Post by 93DrunkMx3r »

Soooooo, i just bought this thing. Got a steal on it.....however i am of course experiencing issues (immean who wouldnt for 40 bucks right) Car has a loooong list of issues i plan on tending to with time. When i go to crank the car i get nothing, but when i jump it it cranks right up. I checked the battery and it is new and fully charged. Checked the terminal connectors and they are snug but a little aged. I checked the alternator and it is functional. Any clue as to what it could be? i would assume if it is a fuse then the car wouldnt start even with the jumper cables. Any thoughts? (i searched btw but got nothing but a fuse chart, and they seem to be good, shy of pulling em out 1 by 1)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Starting Issues

Post by Daninski »

I had the exact same problem. Corrosion on the cable at your starter. Roll back the rubber cover at the starter and clean it up. Baking soda and water dissolves most of the corrosion then it's time for a stiff brush and alcohol. Finish treating the wire with grease.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
93DrunkMx3r

Post by 93DrunkMx3r »

will be tried tomorrow morning once i get it tagged and titled. Thank you sir. i knew it was simple i just couldnt put my finger on it.
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

wow i just dropped my car off at the mech to see if my disty and battery were good because i was having this SAME problem. I run it all day go to cut it off and wait an hour and it doesnt start. Just a clicking sound.....the alternator is about 6 months old and the battery is only 3 years old...if the mech says both are good ill try cleaning the starter terminals.....
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
93DrunkMx3r

Post by 93DrunkMx3r »

Well i opened the hood baking soda and brush in hand and glanced over at the terminals.....bad idea. I got tired of looking at em in there worn down corroded old age. So before i even got to the starter, i pulled the battery out and put it on the charger. Then replaced my terminals....sooooo far so good i havent had any issues. Also, tested the alternators output and it seems to be around the norm. Im guessing the problem is solved....but ill know in a few days for sure. Still might clean up the starter cable though. Wouldnt be a bad idea since you mentioned it lol

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”