V.R.I.S big debate from friend

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: V.R.I.S big debate from friend

Post by MrMazda92 »

You're welcome. :) Did you find time to test this out yet by any chance? I will attempt to do so at some point, although I'm not sure on which car yet.
Last edited by MrMazda92 on September 4th, 2011, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
whitete
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by whitete »

Ive had car troubles since that night battery died due to alt. Not charging but other then that i still have hopes on my end very soon looking into mega squirt or simalr setup soon need hei mod too
Red96'Mx3 KL-ZE 2.5, CAI, full 2.5'' exhaust,cat delete, black stock rims polished lip, cross drilled brakes, (aftermarket bumper with halo foglights-Needs work) .
http://www.cardomain.com/id/whitete

Previous rides
Purple94' Mx3 K8-ZE CAI, Exhaust, plugs,wires
Purple95' Mx3 K8 american, CAI, Exhaust, plugs, wires,cap/rotor fuel pump, short shift,
Black 94' Mx3 i4 Stock ( hit by dear )
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Sorry to hear about the battery, have you re-done your ground wires yet?

Megasquirt is in my near future too, if I can find a used system.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
whitete

Post by whitete »

Actualy yes ground wires very recently. 6 different 4 gauge wires differnt points and lengths and same time redid ground on transmission and battery negative under the wiper motor aswell.

Guess only option is new alternator on pay day. .. But question for ya. . Battery light on wth load.. Eg headlights and radio etc.. But rev a bit and voltage builds up with no light at all and in on a new interstate battery too. I put the tester on battery and reads 12.36 volts and goes up to 12.97 volts i drive 55 kms home and it holds charge for a few hrs and then cant restart again

question 2 how had is milly alternator install? ?
Red96'Mx3 KL-ZE 2.5, CAI, full 2.5'' exhaust,cat delete, black stock rims polished lip, cross drilled brakes, (aftermarket bumper with halo foglights-Needs work) .

Previous rides
Purple95' Mx3 K8 american, CAI, Exhaust, plugs, wires,cap/rotor fuel pump, short shift,
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Good work on the ground wires, it's the first suggestion when you have issues like this; Looks like you're already thinking in the right direction.

I can't say much about the battery light staying on, as mine's been on in my '92 since the day I bought the car(back in '09), and it's never given me issue. I let it die once(headlight fail), but recharged overnight and have had no issues other than the light, and this is the moment the car is running(even in diagnostic mode, less load)

Battery drain wise, I'd say look for closed circuits that drain constantly. Is there anything "ghetto-rigged" into the car? I've seen people drain batteries and complain for months when they really wired something in poorly, all because the previous owner tried to be "creative". Any lights stay on a little too long after shutting the car off?

I haven't replaced an MX alternator, but I can't see why it should be that bad. The biggest issue I can see will be that you have little elbow room down there, and if memory suits you may need to pull the passenger side motor mount to access the belts... I may be confusing this with another car, as last time I did an Alternator it was on a friends' Mercury.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
whitete

Post by whitete »

thanks today im going out to look for different ideas, ( on a different same topic ) -- about a week and a half ago smoke came from belt from alternator i readjusted the belt tentionor and no smoke etc..

would that mabey affect it , i do have a system installed but correctly installed,

Previous rides
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Have you attempted to disable all extraneous sources of electrical draw? Such as stereo, headlights, interior lights, anything you're charging via the cig. lighter?

You should open the diagnostic box in your engine bay, and use a paperclip to pin "Ten" and "Gnd", this will shut down some of the car's own electrical loads. If that causes the light to go off, it'll be a better indicator of what your problem is.

I haven't even asked, do your headlights dim at night when running a high electrical load? If you haven't noticed this at all, it could even be a false error code... It doesn't sound like that though, since the battery keeps dying.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
whitete

Post by whitete »

Yes. So far took out fuse for sub amp, checked all around the alt. Area and i found my crank position sensor wire was chewed up and burnt right up! !! Now i figure this was shorting out and what caused the smoke in the first place. As im hoping any way so i redid ths harness 2ft long and ran it proporly so it wont ever touch thd belts again.. I just finished doing the job so i still have to boost it and take it to see if it helps the battery dieing. . Weird thing is i wouldnt have seen this even if i redid the alt. Replcement it was far back towards fire wall and strut. .

On a side note engine light bulb burnt from my engine light alwyays on anyway

what would i notice with sensor wires fraied like thT besides possible huge car fire i avoided

Previous rides
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

whitete wrote: I put the tester on battery and reads 12.36 volts and goes up to 12.97 volts i drive 55 kms home and it holds charge for a few hrs and then cant restart
I am not to sure what your problem is here, but I can tell you with the car at idle no load that voltage reading is way to low...With no load it shouldn't have a problem holding 13.5V - 14.5V... even 13.5v can be a sign of a slightly weak alternator... With every accessory on and anything that can pull power running all at once and the car at 2000rpm you're voltage should not drop below 13.5V...

If you car is always charging at what you are seeing there then fix that first and see what happens with your light...
whitete

Post by whitete »

Ok so thank you for all the help,

Recent update :

New alternator, New starter, Re-did grounds all over again.

runs like new with no lights illuminating ( i found the issue besides alternator )the previous owner had 4 sets of relays under the dash, that were for aftermarket lights and gauges, besides that i found 2 12V power wires that were connected to the ground behind my CD player :x all the relays were blown and was always short circuting everything in the car.

eg : my headunit never clipped in any other cars except this one(ze). my headunit would clip at 24/62 volume ( reson was the shorts ) now clean sound untill 55/62 ! :D

long story short thanks again too all that helped

Terry

Previous rides
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

oh god that is some birds nest.....
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”