matts 94 mx-3 gs build. MOARRRRR GOODIES

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
mx3matt
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: matts 94 mx-3 gs build. MOARRRRR GOODIES

Post by mx3matt »

finally got the motor on a stand. good news is motor can be turned over, bad news is i noticed a lil chip on one of the cams :( sorry for the cam pics i cant find my camera.

theres also a bit of flash rust on a couple of the cam lobes, makes me sad.

mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

i also stripped one of the top trans holes where i mounted the bracket..... pissed off and i'll blame it on myself, but i didnt even get a quarter turn in before it pulled out about 5 threads in.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so tore down the motor a bit more today, took off exhaust manifolds and a/c(supercharger) and alternator brackets.

a buddy of mine has a pair of ze cams for me if i want them so i'm definetly considering(he also just bought colins old mx), the only other thing i've been considering doing is a port match on the exhaust ports...i only considered this after seeing how much porting can actually be done, this also means i'd have to port my intake as well(lots of extra time).

i'd like to block off the egr and also pick up a oil filter block off plate and run a cooler and relocation kit. waiting on an answer from king6 on whether he can ship anything right now cuz he's technically closed for another 3 months.

i've gotta post a video of the slack in my timing belt cuz i'm kinda leary about how much slack there on the topside. the timing belt on my k8 had the pulleys and idlers replaced about 30'000 km's ago and i'd like to use them on my DE if they are the same?

at this week some point i'm gonna drain the oil out of the pan and check for bearing wear and replace the pain with a new one. i'm still trying to decide on whether i'm going to just paint the motor back with polished vc's and intake but i'd like to add some color(purple or blue accents and polished catch cans oil and coolant(no power steering).
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

ok oil cooling questions.

i'd like to run an oil cooler and remote oil relocation kit, i'm looking at a king6 block off plate but i'm not sure what size to run. he offers 1/4 npt, 3/8 npt, and 1/2 npt.

i'm looking at a trans-dapt dual filter relocation kit
looking at this for an oil cooler.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so at the moment i've run out of dough to order anything else, still negotiating with my buddy on the ze cams. trying to figure out the oiling system...now its a guess but i'd imagine that whatever size line i run off the block i'll have to run the rest of the system that way as well?
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so bad news, darren(king6) wont ship me anything till after the store reopens so for now i'll just have to stick with the stock oil filter location. not that big a deal as i was only relocating for the future option of supercharging if i can find one for a decent price.i'll still be adding a oil cooler for added cooling and capacity.

good new is tomorrow i'll be media blasting the motor and wheels and weather depending if i get enough coats of paint on and enough time to cure somewhat i'll be balancing and mounting them tomorrow night, hopefully i've chosen a good offset that wont rub. regardless i'll roll and flare if i have to but i'm hoping i can put that off till later on.

also i finally got a reply from patrick at dipyourcar canada, $420 for the prokit and its in stock.
comes with 3 gallons premixed and he says 2 gallons should easily achieve full coverage on a smaller car like the mx. that price does not include shipping.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so i'm undecided on the color and the scheme, should i spray the whole wheel? or leave a polished lip?
ethand

Post by ethand »

So I'm guessing you're planning on dipping your whole car, bar the cf hood, and then having the rocker cover painted to match those rims, and your shifter knob?
If so, I rate that leaving the rim with the polished lip would look better, otherwise it might all be a little bit dark...? I think that the lip being polished will help make the rims stand out more & help you notice the colour better... If its not too hard, you could try painting the whole one rim, then, if you don't like it, re-sand blast it & re-paint it/sand blast only the lip...? Just a thought...
But I would think that a dipped MX with the rims just like how they are pictured would look mad :)
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I have never liked the polished lip look and that blue color is effing wicked.

What color plasti-dip are you putting on? Just black or something more interesting?
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
youdirtyfox
antispam: No

Post by youdirtyfox »

Polished lips where its at Bro looks cool as f---!
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

wytbishop wrote:I have never liked the polished lip look and that blue color is effing wicked.

What color plasti-dip are you putting on? Just black or something more interesting?
i'm undecided about the polished lip.....i was going for more of a purple look but i too love the color, i may throw another coat on and see if that helps.

as for the plastidip, i really want gunmetal grey but then i'd have to notify the ministry and my insurance company, they already dont like me so i'll probably just be sticking with black.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

ethand wrote:So I'm guessing you're planning on dipping your whole car, bar the cf hood, and then having the rocker cover painted to match those rims, and your shifter knob?
If so, I rate that leaving the rim with the polished lip would look better, otherwise it might all be a little bit dark...? I think that the lip being polished will help make the rims stand out more & help you notice the colour better... If its not too hard, you could try painting the whole one rim, then, if you don't like it, re-sand blast it & re-paint it/sand blast only the lip...? Just a thought...
But I would think that a dipped MX with the rims just like how they are pictured would look mad :)

thanks for the comments.

the break down would go something like this.

cf hood and gas door.
purple-bluish rims with the polished lip to go with the polished rocker covers, the raised lettering on the rocker would be painted to match the wheels, maybe the valley where the plug tubes purple as well.
ethand

Post by ethand »

mx3matt wrote:the break down would go something like this.

cf hood and gas door.
purple-bluish rims with the polished lip to go with the polished rocker covers, the raised lettering on the rocker would be painted to match the wheels, maybe the valley where the plug tubes purple as well.
Sounds like a sweet plan! I also reckon gunmetal would look great - it always does on these cars, and I've never seen it flat on our cars, which would be cool... But I see your point about insurance, etc... Might be worth giving it a shot, though...
'92 JDM Eunos Presso - Zeke
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

couple more shots from different angles, still havent shot clear or polished the lip.

the primer i used was yellow and it actually looked pretty sweet.
mx3matt

Post by mx3matt »

so in about half an hour i'm headed to work to remount the tires on the rims.

paint is done and im not completely satisfied, the color is great but i was sloppier then i should of been on the last too wheels prepwork....i'm hoping after i've really polished the lip properly that the transition between the color and the bare metal looks cleaner. i'll improve everytime i paint a set so i'll just have to keep refining.

once i've test fitted them and made sure i dont have any problems i'll be yanking them off and polishing the lip i'll wipe them down, tape off the tires and add 2-3 more coats of clear but i will include the polished lip, should help smooth out the transition between the surfaces.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”