V6 fuel mileage

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: V6 fuel mileage

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

mikeinaus wrote:also keep in mine when i say im getting close too 11l/100km now thats with throwing the car in neutral and coasting whenever possible and some hypermilling techniques
Oh dude you shouldn't ever be in neutral unless you're stopped. When you're coasting in gear above something like 1200 RPM the fuel injectors are completely off. Sure in neutral it doesn't slow down as fast but it actually takes fuel to idle, which is essentially what the car is doing when you're coasting in neutral. But yeah other than that I'm not too sure what the issue with yours is, especially since like you said it seems you've checked everything.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:
mikeinaus wrote:also keep in mine when i say im getting close too 11l/100km now thats with throwing the car in neutral and coasting whenever possible and some hypermilling techniques
Oh dude you shouldn't ever be in neutral unless you're stopped. When you're coasting in gear above something like 1200 RPM the fuel injectors are completely off. Sure in neutral it doesn't slow down as fast but it actually takes fuel to idle, which is essentially what the car is doing when you're coasting in neutral. But yeah other than that I'm not too sure what the issue with yours is, especially since like you said it seems you've checked everything.
i meant cruising on level ground. i engine brake on hills whenever possible. idle at 60km/h uses about 2l/100km while holding a steady rpm in gear at the same speed on flat/level ground uses about 6-7l/100km
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

stock k8 i got about 25mpg ... CAI, cat off, Denso, 17" rims 225 tires i get about 20mpg... not good at all
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

mitmaks wrote:~30mpg is what I get with my K8 also.
City, or highway? You're a patient driver, either way. Most people like to leave for work 10 minutes late and "make it up" on the road. :lol: I leave 10 minutes early, and calculate the most efficient route(time, as well as fuel consumption) by taking alternate routes until I find a few good ones.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
_-Night-Shade-_

OutlaW wrote:225 tires i get about 20mpg... not good at all
Lol you're tellin' me.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

MrMazda92 wrote:
mitmaks wrote:~30mpg is what I get with my K8 also.
City, or highway? You're a patient driver, either way. Most people like to leave for work 10 minutes late and "make it up" on the road. :lol: I leave 10 minutes early, and calculate the most efficient route(time, as well as fuel consumption) by taking alternate routes until I find a few good ones.
That's highway, city I get 23.5-24
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

Anyone know how much of an impact on economy an improperly adjusted tps 8) could have with no noticeable effect on performance? My current tanks mileage was averaging close to 12l/100k. I unplugged it for shits and giggles and my.average has dropped to 11.5l/100k with more or less the same driving on the same tank. I also noticed no difference in performance other then a slightly higher idle with it unplugged...

I'm gonna swap it with a spare and properly adjust it next week. I'm just curious how much the reading is referenced for a/f mixture
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

It'd be nice to top 29 highway... I've been driving a Civic hatch to Salem every few days for weeks now, and It's killing me slowly... At 40+ mpg, I can't even try to justify driving the MX-3 there, but It's tempting anyways.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
_-Night-Shade-_

mikeinaus wrote:Anyone know how much of an impact on economy an improperly adjusted tps 8) could have with no noticeable effect on performance? My current tanks mileage was averaging close to 12l/100k. I unplugged it for shits and giggles and my.average has dropped to 11.5l/100k with more or less the same driving on the same tank. I also noticed no difference in performance other then a slightly higher idle with it unplugged...

I'm gonna swap it with a spare and properly adjust it next week. I'm just curious how much the reading is referenced for a/f mixture
Very important.
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

MrMazda92 wrote:It'd be nice to top 29 highway... I've been driving a Civic hatch to Salem every few days for weeks now, and It's killing me slowly... At 40+ mpg, I can't even try to justify driving the MX-3 there, but It's tempting anyways.
i drive my gf's old del sol 1.5 to work cause it gets me 42 mpg and it kills me to be seen in it..... but i probably save about 200 bucks a month..
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Exactly, it's a trade-off :lol:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

8.8L / 100 km city or ~32 MPG in my K8
completely stock 12 degrees ignition advance with NGK platinum plugs
_-Night-Shade-_

Mi|<E wrote:8.8L / 100 km city or ~32 MPG in my K8
completely stock 12 degrees ignition advance with NGK platinum plugs
8.8L/100km is 26.7mpg...
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

I did the conversion in about 2 seconds in my head :P

Its 26.84 MPG now that I use a number machine

Best ive had is on the highway was 6.9 ish L/100k which was
34.09 MPG from Kamloops to Golden.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I get between 8.8 and 9L/100km in mixed city driving (lots of freeway time mixed with stop and go) on my ZE. If I drive a long highway trip I have seen the high 6's, but I hardly ever do a full tank of all highway driving so it's hard to say what my hwy consumption is with any accuracy.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”